Retro, The Sounds and The Music.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jul 30, 2010.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I had a driver for Win95 that could do midi wavetable through PC speaker. It sounded pretty incredible, but I remember it locking up the whole system to play a song.

Didn't seem to be CPU bound either. Felt almost like an interrupt thing. Definitely made games unplayable, and was only good for listening to midi files.

Likewise I don't really recall any high framerate DOS games doing PC speaker audio. I'm assuming there's a reason for that.

baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  2. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

More PC Speaker goodness.

I remember Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum had a diagram in the manual with instructions on how to wire your boombox to a PC speaker for some mean street ghetto sound. The had a term for it, something along the lines of "real sound".

It's in Russian, but it has some more orthodox as well as more crazy examples of PC speaker use:

elvis skip through the second video to see how 2D Doom works, pc speaker mp3 player for dos is also pretty interesting.

elvis and Pierre32 like this.
  3. pksw

pksw Member

Yeah i remember that, those access software games had something slightly better than pc speaker. Links, Crimewave, Countdown- I connected the PC speaker to an amplifier because the volume wasn't great. But I never made the external device.

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

A great discussion on the challenges and importance of sound in games. Loooooots of MDFourier chat with Artemio.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    elvis, baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  5. Oktavius

Oktavius Member

Its all about nostalgia and for me C64 tunes that provided a lot of atmosphere in games where you had to use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

A list of some fav's that are on my mix list of mp3- Played these games a lot and completed most.

-Last Ninja
    -Andiriad
    -Battletech
    -Beyond Forbidden Forest
    -Blackwyche
    -Camelot Warriors
    -Castle of Terror (see AV!)
    -Druid
    -Glider Rider
    -Ocean Loaders
    -Parallax
    -Platoon
    -Defender of the Crown
    -Dragon Skulle
    -Dragonriders of Pern
    -Eidolon
    -Finder Keepers
    -Fist II
    -Friday the 13th
    -Hero of the Golden Talisman
    -The Hobbit
    -Into the Eagles Nest
    -Jack and the Beanstalk
    -Mars Saga
    -Rambo
    -Project Stealth Fighter
    -Spy vs Spy
    -Storm Warrior (The weird one you descend on a cloud frighting demons and crows with a rod)
    -Thanatos
    -Uchi Mata
    -Werewolves of London
    -Wizardry
    -Zoids

Bonus, not sure if posted before, this band rocks some great c64

breech, baronbaldric and Vanne like this.
  6. elvis

Double-whammy with MLIG dropping a pretty enormous video covering almost everything up to date in the video game preservation world - not just hardware and software either, but all the other stuff that comes into play around photography, imagery, documentation, legalities and copyrights, audio, and the rest. I can't even imagine how long this sort of video would take to prepare.

Vanne, baronbaldric and power like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

can't wait, should be interesting!

8. elvis

Super exciting for me - at the 1:00:00 mark, Artemio mentions MDFourier is being developed for Commodore 64!

He also hints that it's an enormous job (not at all surprising), but the fact that it's happening is great news. That's been a wishlist item of mine since hearing about the project.

9. breech

breech Member

Thats great news, it should result in better SID clones and software emulations.

baronbaldric and elvis like this.
  10. elvis

And secondary to that, it'll put an end to countless subjective arguments over the matter.

Watching what MDFourier has done for consoles is fabulous. The "hardware or death" crew have had to eat their words when multiple versions of the same console sound radically different - often far worse than recent emulators for certain revisions of certain hardware, and likewise the "any emulation is good enough" types have witnessed that it really wasn't, and substantial improvements have been made between now and DOS-era emulators, which have made faster hardware necessary to get closer in accuracy (hardware that's much faster than the humble Raspberry Pi).

Microcomputers have both camps as well, of course, as well as folks posting WAVs (or worse, MP3s) on forums and relying on the naked ear and whatever combination of awful audio equipment the listener has to try and make comparisons. Scientific, repeatable data is the right way, and it's wonderful that MDFourier is spreading far and wide to knock that on the head.

Whassisname from Displaced Gamers rightly points out that there are huge challenges for PC audio with the enormous array of sound cards. But even so, I think cherry picking a few common/poular ones (SB, SB16, SBPro, one of the ESS AudioDrives, AWE32, GUS, MT-32, SC-55) are all worthwhile. Hopefully once code is written for one, there's a level of portability to some of the others.

Seeing people actively targeting popular arcade boards is something I didn't expect soon (or even ever). That's another great bit of news.

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Try who often annoys me was actually super helpful in this video although i did wish he would shush occasionally. It made the video on a complex subject much more approachable without turning it into a Netflix documentary.

elvis likes this.
  12. elvis

Yeah I think that topics like MDFourier will naturally confuse a lot of people, which generally breeds the "I don't understand it so it's not important" opinion that plagues a lot of this preservation work.

Like you, I find Try a little annoying at times, but I do appreciate the "make it simple for everyone" approach MLIG takes. I didn't always feel that way either - the channel's videos used to bug me quite a lot. But since seeing the good that's come from its existence, and the level of understanding it's brought to a lot more people, I find it all much more positive now (even if I only find a handful of their videos enjoyable myself).

That recent preservation one linked earlier (I thought this was the video thread, not the sound thread, so I should move it) is an example of that. It's all stuff that's pretty blatantly obvious to anyone who has browsed through these retro forums. But it's the kind of thing I can post elsewhere and tell people to shut up and watch to catch up on several years of news in one video.

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I just finished that one, and it's good for getting the word out to people who aren't "in the community". New people are always coming along thankfully to rediscover what's going on and good stuff like this gets them informed.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    elvis and baronbaldric like this.
  14. elvis

I enjoyed how they spent a little bit of time on the legalities of it all. Important to reflect on how the very notion of perseveration is entirely at odds with the law, which focuses on exclusivity and scarcity as the basis for the entire economy.

power likes this.
  15. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

The Diablo 1 soundtrack left a massive mark on me back in the day. Particularly the Tristram Village theme which I find just as awesome and haunting today.

But I never played Diablo 2 :shock: So I'm 21 years late experiencing that OST, and holy crap. What a masterful escalation of the original, with all the recurring themes. When you experience 6:00 to 6:40 for the first time... goosebumps head to toe. But the whole rest of it as well. Just excellent.

16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeah it's one of my fave series!! Also looking forwards to the remake of diablo 2. And ofcourse D4... I've played networked through d3 with both my kids, (youngest one not allowed from the missus) and also D2.. your right the soundtrack to D2 is haunting...

Pierre32 likes this.
  17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

A new waveblaster from Dreamblaster, and this time he's stepped things up a notch with a licensed Roland GS ROM. This sits alongside a second, user-updatable 48MB bank so you can load alternate sounds and switch between them. Ace!

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=80858

elvis likes this.
  18. elvis

I'm please to see this happening. Selling things to willing customers is always a win.

19. elvis

Spent Sunday at my brother-in-law's place doing ye olde video game nonsense.

He's very musical, and loves electronic music. I bought him a little "Pocket Operator" sequencer from Teenage Engineering a year back that he does amazing things with:
    https://teenage.engineering/products/po

Our theme for the get together was "crap game, amazing soundtrack". Although I won't lie, towards the end of the day I couldn't resist busting out some of my favourite games that *also* have amazing soundtracks.

Just a small selection of the games we played, again focussing on audio. For some of these we didn't even bother playing, instead just going into the game menus and cranking the music test instead.

Maximum Carnage, with audio by "Green Jelly" (famous for "Three Little Pigs"):

"Lords of Thunder". We played the PC Engine CD-ROM version, but the SegaCD version is very similar thanks to redbook audio:

Donkey Kong Country:

Uniracers:

Pierre32 likes this.
  20. elvis

Please forgive the double post, XenForo limits embeds to 5 per post.

And then by the end of the day I couldn't help but bust out my favourites:

Streets of Rage (didn't have time for number 2, that will be next time)

Streets of Rage 4 (just a quick listen, didn't have time to play):

Ridge Racer Type 4:

G-Darius:

All up, cracking day. Was so much fun to really focus on just one element of the games, and really take the time to appreciate video game sound design, which isn't just about cramming licensed music as a background track, but using it and the timing to tell a cohesive story.

Pierre32 likes this.