1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro, The Sounds and The Music.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

LOL I forgot about the Jazz intro, that was cool.

Of course it sounded shittier at the time on my ESS Audiodrive :cool:

2. Heywood

Heywood Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I had a Creative Labs AWE64. Hardware wavetable totally rocked. Not as cool as my friend's Gravis Ultra Sound (GUS), but still pretty nice.

For me, the SNES was the pinnacle of chip music. Yes, it's a bit unfair because it was so late in the game, but I still think it had some of the most fantastic music out there.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Oh, and special mention to my favourite Japanese DJ and Streets of Rage ("Bare Knuckle" in Japan) composer, Yuzo Koshiro. Despite the Megadrive's severely lacking audio system, that man could do amazing things with it.

5. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

man i played this game to death. =3

and as far as midi goes, its hard to beat

a few more thats carved into my brain. (edits coming)

i could keep this going for hours as the music is usually the first thing i notice in games =3

6. flain

flain Member

Xenon 2 on Atari ST!

Maniac Mansion

Ghostbusters II - Atari ST
    Impressive for its time

7. flugle

flugle Member

Agony for Amiga impressed the hell out of me too.

8. xsive

xsive Member

I use uade2. It should be available from most package repositories.

9. xsive

xsive Member

There are section of the Parallax theme I really like but some, like the very beginning, don't translate well to the SID chip. It's awesome when it gets going though. Thanks! :D

10. xsive

xsive Member

NES tunes!

Some favourites I mentioned earlier:

Shadowgate theme (NES)

Castlevania - Vampire Killer (NES)

Batman - Stage 1 (NES)

Journey to Silius (NES)

Finally, here is a really cool remix of Journey to Silius theme. Still can't decide which is better -- this or the original :)

11. Bertle

Bertle Member

Flain, just wondering -in those Atari ST vids the sound is a bit scratchy, is that how the ST sounded back then or is it just a bad recording? For comparison I youtubed Xenon 2 intro on the Amiga, the latter sounded better to me.
    Not really digging up the whole Amiga vs ST debate again but as an Amiga owner I never really got to hear the ST which I thought was great at producing music, unless thats only midi or something ?

12. xsive

xsive Member

From the chiptunes I've heard at least, it seems the Amiga sound board is miles better than the ST :)

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Having owned both machines I can confidently say the Amiga did everything (including sound) better.

14. domlebo

domlebo Member

15. seshjuan

seshjuan Member

the amiga had a much more powerful onboard soundchip than the atari, but the atari soundchip certainly had character, and i prefer it in some ways.

music production was an entirely different matter, because of the atari st's built-in midi ports it became a popular choice in the music industry, during the early days of cubase, logic etc.

16. flain

flain Member

I don't remember it being scratchy, but then it was a loong time ago that i owned an ST (Atari 520ST!). All i remember is the sound on my ST came out of the TV speaker, while my friends amiga had some sort of inbuilt speaker in the chassis. So back then i thought amiga sound wasn't as good (hadn't heard it on a proper speaker).

One thing i disliked about the ST was the hidden joystick ports underneith the system, such a pain to plug/unplug joysticks when they start to die (who else remembers unplugging/replugging joysticks that dont work properly to try get them working again...)

17. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

yeah, you may be thinking of the commodore screens that had speakers built in. The amiga outputted stereo sound that you could hook up to your tv / hifi via RCA, so yeah.. moot point really.

as far as actual hardware goes, the amiga had the edge, but they were both awesome systems really.

/amiga wins tho... :leet:

18. flain

flain Member

Agree on the SNES, it was great. Super Metroid impressed me with the voice sample at the start when it says "the last metroid is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace". Mainly because i hadn't heard a voice sample so clear before on a console :)

Also i remember playing starfox on SNES, with the FX chip and the sound quality combined it was the first time i felt i was playing something "next gen" lol.

19. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

the thing that pissed me off about metroid... is that it was hard coded with german subs. - you couldnt turn it off.

PISSED ME OFF..

wtb copy that doesnt have it... (even the wii vconsole version has the subs....)

edit: to get back on topic...

speaking of vox in intros..

grok this amiga shiznit

there is also this.. but it may have been from the amiga cd32 version rather then the a500 one. (actually i think it was the same, just lower sample rate for the a500 one)

edit - few moar.

- trying to find a link to the song "thesmophoria" also in project-x.... but its proving difficult. - i have it, but i would need to host the .mod or even an mp3 of it. - its not hard to find.. the mod can be googled for, and grab modplug to play it.

anyway.. heres another to keep you going.

and a compilation for good measure.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  20. flain

flain Member

Hmm pretty sure my copy didn't have it, but i obviously don't have it anymore :/. I do remember having to select a language at the start..