Retro, The Sounds and The Music.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jul 30, 2010.

1. xsive

xsive Member

It works really well with that video too. Awesome :cool:

2. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Oh you just wait until I get my first bunch of Roland midi modules...

And there I was thinking the MT-32 was it. Boy was I wrong. After done all the research, there are multiple versions and revisions...

My first batch has arrived in Melbourne so I should get it some time next week...

3. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

melbourne you say.....

/grabs crowbar

4. Mau1wurf1977

Got some new goodies today! Uploading all the pics right now.

Can't believe I will finally be able to listen / play with Roland sound. As a kid I just couldn't afford these midi modules but now you can get a bunch on a weeks savings. Man I love Retro stuff...

Don't mind the bear, he's just for giggles...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

i am so jealous right now.

/waaaaaaaaaaaaants :upset::upset::upset::upset:

6. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Oh man, the Sound Canvas and the MT-32! I remember those from Music class back in high school in 92-93! Awesome gear! :thumbup:

7. xsive

xsive Member

Though not quite retro I saw a couple of still-shrinkwrapped Xitel Vortex and Vortex2 cards at the flea market yesterday. I was tempted to buy them (only $5ea) but they were PCI and not much good in a retro 386/486 setup.

Still, they looked pretty cool and iirc, the Vortex2 was an awesome sound chip.

8. Mau1wurf1977

Got 2 more modules:

MT-100 This is a MT-32 (New) with sequencer and quick disk drive. Same mainboard as MT-32 (New) so I can always use it for spareparts

[​IMG]

MT-32 (New) The new version which has the headphone socket and doesn't suffer from the buffer overrun issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just need to get a few more and I have the complete collection!

9. Cannula

Cannula Member

Awesome setup Mau1wurf1977!
    Just wondering, what you guys think of a Diablo Monster Sound MX300 with a Yamaha XR385 daughtercard for retro gaming and early aureal positional sound games too?

10. Mau1wurf1977

Well the card you mentioned uses PCI, so it's likely a card used for Windows right?

Not quite my era really...

But regarding the daughterboard, I stick by my Roland only rule. That's what game musicians used and that's what gives you the sound they had in mind.

Although General Midi is a standard, every midi module sounds different. That's why is important you use the matching midi module...

11. Cannula

Cannula Member

What I consider retro is a bit older gear than you I guess.
    I wish I could get a Roland daughtercard but they are damn hard to find but these Yamaha's which sound good are everywhere.
    I would like to use my AWE64 Gold but it has no daughterboard connector. :upset:

12. proffesso

proffesso Member

always loved this, around 1min in gets to the good parts

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

^^^ You just need to post the video ID in the youtube tags.

But yes, I love the Top Gear music. I posted the intro song to Top Gear 2 back earlier in the thread, but the first game rocked as well. (Top Gear 3000 blew chunks, though).

14. Mau1wurf1977

This is game has my all-time favourite C-64 music:

Last Ninja 2

The game is also quite good. Very hard, just like most games from that time. But once you know where all the items are and where you need to go it's ok. You just die a lot figuring it out :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    power likes this.
  15. Cannula

Cannula Member

I usually use a good pair of headphones for listening to retro games, but I'd like to know what speakers and amps people use to enjoy their retro systems.

16. elvis

Heaphones:
    Ixos Ministry of Sound dj1003 headphones:
    http://www.ixos.co.uk/interconnects/products/mos/index.asp

Amp/Speakers:
    Marantz PM-42 Amp (model 74PM42/07B)
    Marantz LS380 50W speakers

Images (Click for bigger):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Cannula

Cannula Member

Thanks for that elvis, I am now watching old school Marantz amps on eBay, all old school seems the way to go. ;)

18. elvis

Good audio gear is definitely the way to listen to retro game music.

Back in the 90's I hooked up my dad's hifi gear to my SNES for the first time, and the audio quality was night and day compared to our old crappy mono TV. I went back and just listened to all the music from all the games I owned all over again (and then went for the Megadrive).

There's heaps of old school cheaper stereo amps on eBay. Heck, even new you can find stereo kit for pretty cheap (I found a Sherwood stereo amp at JB HiFi that was end of life and grabbed it for $150).

I used to have a Yamaha amp, but one of the channels started to die on me. I picked up the Marantz off these very forums a few years back, and the quality is great.

19. Cannula

Cannula Member

Very nice Mau1wurf1977!
    I need to get an old AT keyboard soon so I can play these old games. :upset:
    Although not as original sounding, I like the sound of the Yamaha DB50XG/ DB60XG or the NEC copy too.
    Here is a poorly recorded video with a lot of hiss but you can here the music clear enough.
    Not how it's meant to sound but these daughterboards are alot easier to get.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLdO9mZ-RpY

20. Mau1wurf1977

For Doom I actually recommend playing it through zDoom instead of DOSBox or a real 486 / Pentium.

It's a lot "smoother" to play and it does still support playing through a Midi module if you have one attached (through a USB to Midi) adapter.

There are some games that do play better through new interpreters (I hope this is the right term).

zDoom is one, another good one is ScummVM for old Adventures. For Lucasarts it supports "Mixed Adlib" which gives you MT-32 music and missing sound effects through Adlib. The DOS Versions have a ton of sound effects missing if you use a MT-32. They must have rushed it or just didn't care.

The mouse movement is also smoother and you don't have a save game limit.

EDIT: DB50XG are not bad at all. For Roland, the external Sound Canvas units are the easiest to fine and they hook up through a joystick to midi cable on your Sound Blaster.