Retro, The Sounds and The Music.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Cannula

Cannula Member

I've been using Snowberrry which uses the Doomsday Engine for Doom, Doom II, Heretic, and Hexen but it's not the same.
    I have downloaded PLWMidiMap.cpl so I can change the midi soundfont used in Windows 7 64 Ultimate. I then use the Creative Sound Font Manager and am currently using a soundfont someone created called 8Rock11.
    I'd rather be playing it on my Pentium though.

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Sounds amazing, mau1 :) , best midi rendition i've heard of the doom soundtrack

look fwd to the full soundtrack + doom2 ;)

3. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  4. nimmers

nimmers Member

5. Mau1wurf1977

MT-32 / Roland Tribute: Monkey Island 2 (MT-32 / LAPC-I / CM-32L / CM-64 and CM-500)

A little gameplay video of Monkey Island 2, showing you what this game sounded like with a Roland MT-32 or compatible MIDI module.

Although I have vintage hardware that can run this game, recording the in-game footage is much easier through DOSBox. DOSBox passes the midi messages through a USB to midi adapter into the Roland MIDI module. Unlike DOSBox Adlib and Sound Blaster Emulation, in this case a real MT-32 is playing the music and sound, preserving the authenticity.

There are two versions of MT-32. MT-32 (Old) without the headphone socket and MT-32 (New) with the headphone socket. There are also a range of Computer Music (CM) devices which don't have the LCD display but come with 33 additional sound effects.

I used my CM-32L for this recording.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No sign of my AWE64 anywhere after a few hours of digging. Looks like it got thrown out in one of the many PC parts purges over the last few years. Shame.

7. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

man i wish i had some ol roland gear.

8. Mau1wurf1977

MT-32s are quite cheap. They even show up on ebay Australia every few weeks :thumbup:

If I could only have a single unit, I would have a MT-32 (Old) which is the one without the headphone socket.

If I could only choose two units I would have a MT-32 (Old) and a CM-32L.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  9. Mau1wurf1977

Got some new toys today:

Gravis Ultra Sound (GUS) PnP. I also got 2 memory modules (1MB) because otherwise this card is pretty useless as far as playing DOS games with GUS support.
    Man this card is resource hungry. Wants a ton of IRQs and DMAs. Initially I only got super loud static. Then I reconfigured it to 5,5,1,1 as this is what DOSBox uses and it works. However I still only got Sound FX in Doom.

Googling for ages it turns out the PnP came with a CD and on the CD a utility which made the PnP compatible to the classic GUS. I googled for ages and finally found SETRAM.EXE.

What a hassle to get this card going LOL. No wonder it struggled against Sound Blaster. The card isn't really Sound Blaster compatible and the MIDI sounds worse than on a Roland Sound Canvas. Oh well now I know what it sounds :)

Doom sounds ok, Doom 2 E1M1 *shudder* that big fat loud drum got replaced by some other tone I can't even describe.

[​IMG]

Roland MPU401AT MIDI interface. This is the original. Though the Midiman MM401 does the job just fine, so this card will be tucked away in case I break the other one.

[​IMG]

The mother of all finds!

This is the Creative Labs CMS upgrade kit. But hang on! CMS chips are easy to find you say. Well for Soundblaster 1.5 they are basically 2 Philips Sound chips and yes easy to find.

However the Sound Blaster 2.0 (The final mono Sound Blaster which is shorter and newer) needs a third chip which is from Creative. Very rare and hard to find...

I also got a Sound Blaster 2.0, however it's faulty :-( So will need to wait a bit more before I can test these Chips...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. elvis

Have you got the right soundfonts? They're available on the tubes to download with the old utilities to install them.

11. Mau1wurf1977

Doom and Doom 2 seem to come with their own sound fonts!

It sounds exactly like in DOSBox.

12. Mau1wurf1977

Wow the difference in wavetable sound quality is HUGE

I'm doing some MIDI tests with the intro sequence of "Dark Forces".

I picked this game because it supports:

- General Midi
    - Roland MT-32
    - Native Gravis Ultra Sound
    - Native AWE32 / AWE64

The tune is quite complex though. A full orchestra! Doom music is quite simple and I found it easier to listen to individual instruments.

Working on a MIDI comparison with Dark Forces. It will feature these cards:

- Roland MT-32
    - Roland Sound Canvas SC-55mkII
    - Gravis Ultra Sound
    - AWE64
    - Ensoniq AudioPCI (I have recordings with 2, 4 and 8MB soundfonts)

13. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

Yep, I can still remember the first time I heard one. Grinning from ear to ear. I bought the AWE, but my mate bought the GUS, that was an awesome card.

14. Mau1wurf1977

I am most surprised by the Ensoniq AudioPCI (Creative bought Ensoniq and later sold the same cards as PCI64 and PCI128 and maybe others)...

It's a PCI card that works really well under DOS!

With 8MB wavetable loaded into System RAM and Sound Blaster support for speech this is a brilliant way to get General Midi and digital speech out of a card that can be bought for next to nothing on ebay...

EDIT: It's useless for FM synth however. Having not even a OPL clone, it emulates FM synth through the wavetable part. Sounds horrible. Really really bad... So if a Game doesn't support General Midi you won't have much joy with this card :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  15. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Wow, now THAT'S an obscure bit of hardware.

I was under the impression that CMS basically sounded like a PC speaker with 12 voices, although it could output in stereo which the original SB couldn't.
    I'm assuming that the CMS upgrade doesn't allow the SB to play stereo sound :p Is there any advantage to this upgrade apart from games that specifically supported CMS and no other sound cards? Can you give some examples of such games?
    Very interesting so far :)

16. Mau1wurf1977

I'm working on a CMS video :thumbup:

It's either CMS (Creative Music System) or Adlib / Sound Blaster.

CMS was Creatives card before it launched Sound Blaster. Unlike Sound Blaster, CMS was put together with off the shelf parts (Two Philips Sound Chips are the hearth of CMS).

With Sound Blaster Creative went propriety

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

18. elvis

Bumping this old but awesome thread.

My Marantz amp has been playing up on one of the channels for a while. I decided to open it up and check it out. Not only does it look like someone's spilled a drink all through it, a couple of the transistors have been replaced in a bit of a hack job.

Next project is to clean up the corrosion, replace the transistors with brand new original spec ones, and get it sounding super sexy again. Our new "Retro Let's Play" series is going to have a lot of games with awesome music, and I need to be ready.

Hipstermatic photo:

[​IMG]

19. elvis

Cleaned up a bunch of corrosion inside the amp, as well as off all the copper screws. Ordered replacement transistors which are on the slow boat from China. Looking forward to getting this up and running again, as playing old consoles through TV speakers is painful

20. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

You couldn't get the power transistors from within Australia?