Retro videos to watch.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. JaC

JaC Member

All Voodoo2s have 4MB of framebuffer memory. There are two texture mapping units that have 2MB each (2x2 per tmu + 4 framebuffer = 8MB total) or 4MB each (2x4+4 = 12MB total). The memory upgrade is just doubling the TMU memory.

I think any different RAM part numbers are just chips from different manufacturers that are functionally equivalent. I haven't checked my card but what's the worst that could happen?

DonutKing, adz and Vanne like this.
  2. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

Yep, you're right, Apoligies. I just dragged the card out, and the rewatched the video. For some reason I thought he added 12 more IC's - rather than 8 (Which would explain why I ordered 10, not 12).

Good to know, I'll have to do it soon - I realised my mistake after the RAM arrived and got a bit discouraged!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

adz and Vanne like this.
  3. shredder

shredder Member

That's a lot of soldering for 4MB.

andrewbt likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

With quality flux and a wedge tip, you can drag solder to speed things up.

adz likes this.
  5. shredder

shredder Member

Yeah I need to up my soldering game. No excuses these days, things are cheap. I'm ok for a guy with 20 years oddjob experience with a $20 Dick Smith iron + corresponding $20 meter. But a good-and-still-cheap modern iron plus the aforementioned quality flux is about I need to go to the next level.

6. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

For surface mount, it's that or solder paste and hot air (and I'm a cheap bastard).

7. adz

adz Member

A lot more for me as I have three 8MB Voodoo IIs :lol:

Vanne and shredder like this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Bloody hog :D

adz likes this.
  9. JaC

JaC Member

Trying for a 3-way SLI setup?

adz likes this.
  10. elvis

At some point, you just have to stop and ask yourself whether or not a ever so slightly more modern GPU would just be a whole lot easier.

adz likes this.
  11. JaC

JaC Member

:lol:
    Sometimes I have those thoughts, but then I just go back to searching for my white whale KT7A and tell myself how much more authentic playing UT again will be on old hardware.

I just checked my Voodoo 2 - I have the Magic Silicon memory as well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Stay a while, and listen.

Vanne likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant Member

The latest episode of Generation 16 is a look at the Pioneer LaserActive, and its place among the CD/optical consoles of the 16-bit era:

14. elvis

Considering renaming the thread maybe, as there's more and more of this stuff showing up outside of YouTube.

Couple of interesting Netflix series either about games directly, around them culturally, and even a few about retro TV shows

"High Score" - documentary about the early days of console gaming
    https://www.netflix.com/title/81019087

"The Toys The Made Us" - documentary series about retro toys, many of which were based on popular films and cartoons:
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80161497

"High Score Girl" - Anime about people playing arcade games in Japan
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80997338

"Castlevania" - based on the popular game series.
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80095241

Worth reading the development history of the Castlevania TV series. It started all the way back in 2007, and spiralled into development hell, then to be rescued and reborn as the Netflix series we know today.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_(TV_series)#Production

Vanne likes this.
  15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Don't tell me you went to Cleveland high too? :lol:

We also had it on the comp room PC's , but it was not on the 'menu' - someone, a teacher i'm guessing had installed it though on everything in the room. of course the old DOS menu's they'd boot into you could bypass with some well time batch file terminating @ startup and see what was really on there.

Every end of year there'd be a week of just pick whatever activity you want, I'd just pick computer room for the whole week (bar the day you could go to dreamworld) and yeah, FS4 all week instead of all Lemmings and all the educational crap you were supposed to play

Anyway this recently popped on LGR:

(how good is this channel btw)

Flamin Joe likes this.
  16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

lol no, I grew up in Adelaide. :)

You had Lemmings at school? Damn, the only other game or educational software I remember being on the school computers was The Incredible Machine but I still prefered playing FS 4.0. I was very much interested in aviation as a kid (still am but no longer hold any dreams of becoming a fighter pilot lol) so any flight simulator or game was right up my alley.

This video deserves a repost from the FS2020 thread for those that don't venture outside the Retro forums.

17. elvis

DOS PCs want until high school for me. (Somewhat due to age, somewhat due to funding).

Primary school was all early Sperry, Tandy and Apple II stuff, and your choice of "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago" or "Police Quest", and that was it.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

it's one of my less imaginative thread titles. There is a little bit of stuff showing up outside so maybe a good idea to rename it.

elvis likes this.
  19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

My memory of what we had in Primary School is hazy. I have vague recollections of their being C64's which fits with my memory of having used Turtle Graphics, but I think we also had some Apples or even BBC Micro's that were on the other half of the room. I just remember playing Granny's Garden and there was this other game which I should really ask in the what game is thread, but it was where you are stranded on a desert island and you had only a limited time to survive and escape. Very basic graphics from what I remember and I don't think it was on the C64.

20. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I wish we had Tandy gear in primary school. It was all Apple IIe's and IIgs's for me and my homeys.

elvis likes this.