Retro videos to watch.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Sounds like Amstrad to me not C64. Schools had Amstrads with the dark grey CRT and keyboard, The floppy is built into the keyboard.

2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

While like I admit my memory is hazy I just don't recall seeing Amstrad's at all they just have a totally different look than I remember.

I just remember the room being divided into two sets of computers with one side being a vague recollection of C64's or at least something which looked similar and could run a program like Turtle Graphics because they were the computers we could use it on, and the rest were BBC Micro/Apple looking computers which had Granny's Garden and that island game whatever it was called. I think I might have to hunt that what exactly that island game is to help me narrow it down although good chance it was also a multi format game.

3. Hater

Hater Member

I feel like a noob. First computer lab I had at school was full of those blue iMac G3's. Was pretty flash at the time though.

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Apple education, just pushing the latest thing. We had Apple //e's

5. Vanne

Vanne Member

we had C128D's :) great little machines those..

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Chess boxing is a sport. I agree the name is what shits me and it is directed "sports bro" audience. More a form of skilled entertainment, like chess, pool etc.

7. Vanne

Vanne Member

By the way Elvis, that Netflix show you mentioned, Castlevania... I waited a long while for season 2 to start.. amazing show that.. just amazing!!!

elvis likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i'm watching, it's a biiiiiiiiiiit slooooooooooooooow.

I rank it, eh ok i guess.

You mean "High Score" right?

Actually fuck it, i just turned it off in episode 3 the narrator says "games used to come on floppy disks"

I am not the target audience.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    mAJORD likes this.
  9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

"Now known as save buttons"

10. Vanne

Vanne Member

Nah mate, "Castlevania!" .. :thumbup::p

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah i thought you might have been after i posted, thus the edit.

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

elvis likes this.
  13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If that sort of stuff tickles your fancy, tune in to the Old Timey Computer Show:
    https://www.twitch.tv/oldtimeycomputershow

Random content, but there's a lot of British and US stuff from a pre-x86 era concentrating on home and business computing that pops up regularly; in amongst things like "Bad Influence", which was a popular Brit show about video games.

mAJORD and power like this.
  14. Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

I have been watching this since the first few weeks when it started. It's been good to have on another screen while doing other stuff.
    There is a lot more constant viewers now, I remember for the first year there was always less than 10 people and no chat. Now there is a bit of chat and it is all positive. Sometimes people tell their stories/memories or have extra info that expand on the subject which gives a real insight on things.

elvis likes this.
  15. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I had no idea something like this existed, a classic novelty device as you could just use an rca-stereo or headphone output to your line in/mic on your soundcard.

Pretty cool none the less.

BUT! He was also able to capture game tape files, that is actually really cool as well.

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

coolermaster especially used to make so much SHITE to jam into a 5.25" bay it'd make your head spin, and it all belonged directly in the bin.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  17. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I watched From Bedrooms to Billions : The PlayStation Revolution over the course of a couple of nights.

Really enjoyed the interviews throughout, however, the captures looked like they were from emulation and not really representative of the real deal. Eg, Resolution looked higher, massive lack of dithering on the ps1,etc.
    While we all know what real ps1 hardware looks like, younger people watching the docco, and potentially future generations would be given a false impression of what it was like.

edit: don't get me wrong, the captures were MUCH better then the potato captures on the "high score" series on Netflix.

elvis likes this.
  18. elvis

I have similar gripes with sites that use emulation for captures and don't fix the aspect ratio.

For example, Capcom CPS2 pixel resoltion was 384x224 which comes out to around 16:9 in square pixels, but was designed for an analogue monitor and stretched back to 4:3. This gave the impression of much more detailed work.

Similarly the SNES has a resolution of 256x224 (8:7 in square pixels), but again was stretched out to 4:3 on a modern TV.

You can see this clearly when captures show circles that aren't round, as artists would do their capture work on special grid paper to help them get the ratios correct when drawing it back out to computer art.

And of course that's just the start of it, when CRTs did all sorts of blurring and blending of colours and effects that folks never see through emulators, or audio systems that had complex analogue filtering that nobody hears today. So much of the stuff in and around the video games are lost because of how poorly popular media captures them.

greencamel65 likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

speaking of I appreciated MVG's recent "dithering" video.

mAJORD and elvis like this.
  20. elvis

Much love for a bloke who is clearly an outer space higher intelligence coming to earth to explain crazy complex things in such an easy-to-understand way.

Also, yay Aussie.