Retro videos to watch.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of underhanded, dodgy things Microsoft did in the 90's to kill competitors.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If folks knew the truth back then, there'd be far more Linux users today. :lol:

Flamin Joe likes this.
  3. elvis

He's starting to get quite a negative reputation of being a "typical YouTuber - all editing skill, no technical skill".

This meme from a fairly prominent engineer and hardware preservationist.

IMG_20200930_062506.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    andrewbt, power and Flamin Joe like this.
  4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Yeah he's become the butt of many jokes in the various forums, Facebook sites I visit. He's also copping an absolute roasting on the comments on Youtube. Really coming at a bad time for him as he's in the process of building a new studio on his property so not really the best time to be pissing people off and lose viewers.

Apparently he only spends one week per video which I think in this case was a poor move. Being the system it is at the very least this should of been a two part series giving him two weeks to get his shit together, get tools, reach out to contacts (maybe ex-IBM employees of that era), hell even talked to the owners of Computer Reset to try and shed some light on at least how they got their in the first place which could of brought him time. But no he treated it like it was just some run of the mill item and gave it a week max (minus time editing etc) and botched the job by taking shortcuts and generally not thinking through what he was about to do. Ignoring how he got their in the first place, one thing which highlighted this was his decision to dremel the edges off the screws and as a result cutting into the PSU when he could of just simply sacrified the easily replaceable screw by cutting a groove into the middle and using a flat head screwdriver to remove it. *face palm*

Not a big a fan of his but for his sake and the sake of the items he is privileged to get a hold of he needs to learn from this and make serious changes in how he does future videos.

5. elvis

As much as this particular individual is a goose, this constant need to push videos is very much YouTube's stupidity.

Some ramblings from me, a technical guy whose worked in film and TV for a while...

Early YouTube was a success precisely because it WASN'T TV. TV is packed full of filler and bullshit for several reasons, the biggest being the attention economy problem:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_economy

If you don't put content out on a fixed schedule with a consistent pattern, you lose audiences. Particular the lower IQ demographic who are your bread and butter for advertising dollars (in the literal words of one TV exec I heard, "Who gives a shit about the content? We make TV for people we fly over").

What YouTube offered in the early days was something different - "regular" people, which included talented nerds, creating content directly about the stuff they were doing. None of the editing, none of the bullshit production, all of the raw braindump. Spectacular stuff for anyone tired of TV. Then of course, it hit mainstream, and again adverbux ruled the day. If your content didn't come out frequently enough and hit enough eyeballs, you didn't get adverbux. If you wanted to make a real go of this as a full time job, you dropped the "fun amateur" stuff and turned into exactly the thing YouTube was originally different from - mainstream television.

I've heard several prominent YouTubers of late say the phrase "...but I've already spent too much time on this and had to get the video out". It's very clear that pushing content AT ANY COST is the goal, not the content itself.

I'm on the fence here. I get why YouTubers who rely on this platform for their money are under this pressure. It's now their job, and all the merit and value of the thing is lost in the scramble to appease the capitalist gods. But at the same time, it's clear that the people finding great success on YouTube are once again what we see in TV land - folks who are good at making pretty pictures, and not so good at making content filled with actual merit.

Where this is evident is in a new all time low of technical howtos. I was looking for one particular technical thing about a particular retro computer on YouTube some time back. Search for "teardowns", "repairs" or "refurbs" of said computer, and it's literally 1000 videos of morons cleaning the case with zero technical information. Ultimately I stumbled across a channel just by sheer luck (someone in my Twitter circles mentioned it out of the blue), and sure enough that person had a trove of valuable information I wanted. Yet, for the life of me, I can't craft a search term to actually find their channel, because even with hundreds of videos uploaded over the years, they only push out content once every few months, which sends them all the way to the bottom of the YouTube rankings.

Likewise I've shown some of my favourite YouTube videos to media professionals, and their first comments are "this video looks like shit" before even delving into the content. Sadly, this is the reality of the modern world, the mass market, and again the capitalist gods we serve.

I don't really know what the answer is to all of this. I can't think of a way to financially reward quality content makers (where "quality" really is about the content itself, not how expensive their camera is or whether or not they used a professional editor) in the same way that YouTube can by pushing them hard to produce a metric shitload of mediocre content, as opposed to infrequent and irregular uploads of higher quality content. Patreon works sometimes, but again suffers because of fame/popularity problems over and above true merit.

So, what we end up with is half-wits destroying things on camera, because being on camera is more important than saving precious things. This is the world we live in, and I hate it.

Well, after that video, I've unsubscribed. If the "attention economy" is the currency of the Internet, I'm removing my "funding" as a sign of my displeasure. The digital equivalent of "vote with your wallet".

Flamin Joe and greencamel65 like this.
  6. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Wow. It triggered my PTSD from the infamous Verge PC build vid.

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

this says everything you need to know.

upload_2020-10-1_8-21-3.png

elvis likes this.
  8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Apparently he's found time to not only make a new game called Attack of the PETSCII Robots but to also dedicate a 2 part video no less to it's promotion so quickly after the last video went down in flames.

Love this comment. :lol:

upload_2020-10-1_8-59-4.png

Back on topic....I watched this video this morning and found it quite interesting. Compression tools are just one of many utils you've used over the many years that you never really put in any thought as to how they came about you just take them for granted that they exist.

I remember using ARJ back in the day a fair bit as well but ZIP has been the one compression tool that has survived all these decades later.

elvis likes this.
  9. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

Not that I'm a big fan of old Apples (sure, I appreciate them), but Adrians latest video is incredibly wholesome, and touches on one of the reasons I enjoy Retro Computing :)

Flamin Joe likes this.
  10. badmofo

badmofo Member

Retro Recipes on song here restoring a VCS - thanks for the lolz RR:

Vanne and Flamin Joe like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

man talks seductively about big boxes for 20 minutes.

always been a fan of the slightly smaller mid box myself, possibly because most of my Amiga games came in them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Pierre32, Phido, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

ok, so even though David had a big sook and turned off comments someone helpfully posted this under his next video.

rugger, Vanne, breech and 1 other person like this.
  13. elvis

While positive and wonderfully written, it also nicely drives home the point about just how rare this piece of equipment was. I hope the channel owner takes the opportunity to grow from this, and stop doing shit in a rush just for the updoots.

Flamin Joe and greencamel65 like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Socket 7, Matrox - i know you nerds will love this.

also this channel needs more exposure.

Pierre32 likes this.
  15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

This video has jumped the gun as the actual 30 Year Anniversay of Monkey Island is the 15th (US Time) but never mind I'm really looking forward to sitting down and watching this tonight.

It's quite long, goes for an 1 hour and 20 minutes so by the end of it you might actually start seeing three-headed monkeys. :wired:

K3mEav6.gif

Vanne, Pierre32, breech and 1 other person like this.
  16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

A bit of (rarer these days) retro content from Phil. I always learn a thing or two from his vids, and this time around it was a comparison of FM and the Gameblaster/CMS. I'd never experienced the pre-SB Creative stuff, and now I have a desire to have one in the arsenal. So **** you, Phil. :D I commented as such and he said "more to come." :thumbup:

MUTMAN and Flamin Joe like this.
  17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Turtle Beach full length ISA

18. elvis

Pretty great channel for Amiga and Atari ST users:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/anouk33/videos

Lots of random videos doing cool things with both machines. I'm seeing ports of ScummVM to these machines with native and external audio devices in use, and all sorts of whacky stuff. Very cool.

power likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

worth a watch, a chat with a couple of the devs who worked on this game prototype.

for anyone who doesn't know Creative Assembly were based in Brisbane.

Pierre32 and elvis like this.
  20. elvis

Mandatory viewing, I'd say. There's more than one person on these forums that needs to hear just how shitty game development is, straight from the mouths of people like the two in this video.

Good on them for speaking out. It's a scary thing to do at any stage of your career, and more people need to hear about the real behind-the-scenes nonsense that goes on in "commercial creative" industries.