Retro videos to watch.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

You can still check out the official website for that song on Wayback Machine. The screensavers for Windows 95/98 and MacIntosh are still downloadable too. :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20000229121518/http://www.thepentiums.com/index.html

Speaking of Intel, this popped up on my Youtube feed a little while back. Watching the Weird Al video above actually reminded me of this video as it had a similiar looking drab office Weird Al was walking through as the Intel offices did in 2007 when Conan O'Brien went for a tour.

Interesting little fact, I read in the comments from someone who worked there at the time that after this went to air management at Intel were so embarrassed at the horrible outdated look of their offices that they set about modernising everything. Personally I was surprised at the amount of CRT's still in use as you would think a company as big as Intel (especially being in the industry they are) would of kept somewhat up with the times.

andrewbt, Utetopia and baronbaldric like this.
  3. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

I was looking for good options to play Street Fighter 2 on PC because my Logitech F710 and my keyboard are not satisfying for any of the street fighter games at all. I still didn't find a good cheap stick or gamepad but I found this gem.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ye olde, but still a fantastic video for new players. Covers a lot of good 201 level concepts of Street Fighter that 99% of people never get to, because they're stuck in button masher mode, and miss out on what the game really has to offer.

5. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Do you still play 2D SF games? What variety and on what platform? I thought an officially licensed retro-bit Sega 2.4GHz controller and 30th anniversary release on steam would work great for me, but it just doesn’t.

The d-pad is not precise enough for me to pull off circular movement consistently. I never owned a fighting stick and played in the arcades maybe a dozen times in my entire life, so sticks in general are outside my comfort zone. Probably too late to get into sticks at this point?

8bitdo looks tempting, purely becase I like the design.

But I am also looking at Hori Fighting Commander Pro - a weird and seemingly powerful contraption which is only sold in Japan.

Not perfect though, as I’m mostly on pc and Hori uses PS labels on their buttons which don’t show as such in games under windows..

6. elvis

Yes, frequently.

Variety: all
    Platform: all
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/console-fighting-games.445339/

I've got MiSTer, 3 MAME cabinets, a head to head genuine CPS3 (SF3: Third Strike) kit on a Sega Versus City arcade cabinet, and lots of consoles with heaps of boxed copies of various SF games over the years. I must have bought that game 30 times over or more.

I also custom make arcade sticks - full build, custom woodwork, laser-cut steel, all Japanese parts.

I've been a Street Fighter fan since "Street Fighter II: The World Warrior" hit arcades. That was the "wow" moment for me when I saw that in arcades, and was just blown away. I mean, I'd seen some good arcade games up to that point - Strider, Shinobi, Final Fight, these were all great. But SF2:WW just blew EVERYTHING away.

Whether it's old (so much love for "SF2: Hyper Fighting") or new (Capcom vs SNK 2, Street Fighter 4, bring it all on), I *love* the series. I even considered a Street Fighter tattoo for the longest time! :lol:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Fitzi, Vanne and baronbaldric like this.
  7. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Got it, thanks! Who needs books when you have a 144-page SF2 thread? :D

Basically, I am methodically blasting through my Steam library and SF 30th Anniversary is next on the list of games I want to "beat" (in this case - master to the point I can beat the game on normal settings with a character or two). In research on the topic prior to actual playing (and I'm not playing until I get a decent input device) here are some more curious SF2 videos I found.

Just a cool video to watch and absorb:

Interesting notes about the collection I am playing (probably not the best release choice to break into the SF2 world):

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  8. elvis

I hate to say it, but that was a terrible video.

"Stuff missing that I wanted", fair enough, but the rest of the comments were miles off.

The difficulty is the same as the original arcade systems. If he was a "good player back in the day" as claimed, that would be pretty obvious.

The comments on "I was annoying because I did a 2 hit combo" seen to lack any understanding as to what competitive fighting games are about (see David Sirlin's book: "Playing To Win", which is free online).

And then saying that 2 hits from a basic meaty don't work is also wrong. He needs to fix his meaty (you could see it was miles off).

It's a decent collection and an easy way for sometime to try the early series. There are better ports of individual games in the series, but that's not a bad way to learn the old school basics.

baronbaldric likes this.
  9. proffesso

proffesso Member

speaking of sf, if anyone wants a few games of sfv - proffesso11 is me :)

baronbaldric likes this.
  10. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

After finding this channel I pretty much stopped my fighting pads search. Who knew keyboards are so precise and reliable for fighting games? Correct answer: not me!

The guy plays tournaments on his modded keyboard and has some cool educational videos on his channel.

11. elvis

Google "hitbox controller". :)

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Soooo... I want one!

greencamel65 likes this.
  13. elvis

Rare artist Kevin Bayliss shares his design of the SNES "Donkey Kong Country" character.

Fascinating to see both the 2D/3D relationship of early 3D game art, and also how technology limits helped define the character. He mentions his desire to keep the final design within as few sprites as possible, resulting in a "boxier" design of the character.

One of the reasons I love old video games is precisely because the technology limitations resulted in certain artistic decisions. Unlike modern platforms which are virtually limitless, old video games and hardware imposed strict limits on artists, designers and composers, and as a result produced some very distinctive art forms.

Vanne and baronbaldric like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

now this is pretty cool.

baronbaldric and elvis like this.
  15. breech

breech Member

This guy made a tiny modern dos box and an SB clone to fit the funky PC104 ISA connector

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  16. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Not sure if been posted yet, sorry if it has.

17. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

I'm really enjoying Dave Plumbers' war stories from his Microsoft Days:

baronbaldric and Flamin Joe like this.
  18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

OH MY :shock: New 2 hour longplay of the cancelled Goldeneye XBLA port.

From the comments:

Granted, you can already emulate this with HD texture packs and kb/m control. But the prospect of this unicorn becoming available is oh my.

baronbaldric and elvis like this.
  19. elvis

My god this brought back memories. 1997 was university for me (old man!), and discovering that you could play NES games on your PC was utterly mind blowing.

A great walk down memory lane for me, and hopefully some insight into the days of early emulation for folks not so old.

20. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Nesticle, connectix vgs, and zsnesw were my console gaming. Lived in the region where consoles were uncommon. I have a lot of nostalgia for retro emulators.

elvis likes this.