Retro videos to watch.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I'm going to watch this later, but LGR does a review on the Adlib Gold of which one recently sold in Australia for an eye watering $3,000.

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

watching now, like most nerds Clint definitely buys into the Creative conspiracy (which most agree is correct) but it's a bit of a shame to not just dedicate the video to the product at hand.

3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

these obscure Japanese games are both simultaneously amazing and terrible. They really tickle the side of me that digs all things Lynch that's for sure. (I also wholeheartedly recommend this channel).

elvis and baronbaldric like this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Double whammy nostalgia vid for you all.

Pierre32, power, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

No lowballers. She knows what she got!

PS . That needs to be stickied in newbie lounge

elvis likes this.
  6. breech

breech Member

So I found a cool DOS game called Rally-Sport (which looks like a 3D version of Skidmarks)

Went to check out the devs site and was presented with Lara's mansion rendered in browser as the landing page :shock:
    https://tarpeeksihyvaesoft.com/soft/

.. and found that he's built a 3D PC building frontend for PC-EM! (Linux)

Top stuff :D

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I never realised this stuff about HL2, game just got that much more intense for me.

baronbaldric, andrewbt and elvis like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I must have missed this one when he posted it, love 1:07 ;)

baronbaldric likes this.
  9. elvis

Things that N64 video taught me:

1) There are third party N64 mobos out there. I have a busted N64 that I want to try and fix, and it would be great if I could find a replacement mobo without destroying another N64.

2) There was a train simulator game on N64! This I didn't know. I thought they were all on Sega/Sony systems only.

baronbaldric and power like this.
  10. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Although this is a tremendous feat of hobby engineering and I love portables I am not a fan of destroying retro gear. These projects also lack software parts for sleep and smart shutdown functionality on low battery. Both of these are essential for good portable experience in my opinion.

elvis likes this.
  11. elvis

Ditto. And the snobbery of showing an RPi being cast aside and then destroying a piece of hardware no longer in production is doubly frustrating.

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

To be fair the N64 isn't destroyed it's reimagined.

Portableisation of consoles is a whole thing and this guy is pretty famous for it. I think he's done a good job.

13. elvis

I get it. And it is impressive. It's just that my want for preservation and reversible mods are in complete conflict with this.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I'm sure there's a million or so coloured ones still in their boxes out there

15. elvis

Yeah, that's what everyone who gutted a NES to use as a Rasberry Pi 1 case in the mid 2010s told me too.

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I get it, I'm kind of used to seeing others butcher things though. New shells holes for this and that it's all part of the hobby though.

17. elvis

It really doesn't have to be. There are countless options for reversible mods and 3D printed extras that entirely remove the need to drill holes.

A case swap? Fine, you can still reverse that trivially. The moment a drill or Dremel comes out, or no-longer-manufactured parts go in the bin, and someone made a bad decision.

I'll be screen modding a bunch of GB/GBC/GBA consoles this year. All will be done in third party cases, with the originals kept safe. A few extra bucks, but worth it to not butcher something that can no longer be bought new.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    baronbaldric likes this.
  18. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Yes elvis!

But also.

The guy who makes these portables just found his source of views and a source of his ego boost “I made the smallest thing in this category”.

The talent is obviously there and he exploits it for fame and maybe profit, I don’t know. But to me it is a shame that he spends all this time and talent converting a good product into a subpar non-product.

If you follow any portable diy projects you’ll see how complex and deep this hobby is and how many points of failure there are. People obsessing over distances between vias for months, finding ways to run simulations on software costing 10s of thousands, replacing button materials endlessly. Placing and misplacing smds, trying to find ethically sourced components, etc..

For his portable n64 he says himself - it’s not very good for playing games, and there are numerous input compromises. Battery sucks and there is zero portable-specific software on the device.

And with this type of quality control and hacked together wiring there is no guarantee it will work for years to come or even that its capable of working for a number of hours without interruption.

What I’m saying is I’d rather see him work on a (say linux-based) portable made from scratch than exercising in damage control. But it is not that impressive to the general public, I guess and doesn’t have a view-worthy ring to it.

Just like LN overclocking makes a better show because they break records and pompously announce their gigaherz achievements on huge trade show floors Michael Buffer style.

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

okclock123 he's pretty famous for his Wii portable videos. The portable hacking scene is so popular there are literally kits for the Wii at least. I am definitely in two minds over these as per elvis' comments.

However, I'm also impressed and part of me kind of wants one. The only destructive mod I own is a Lynx with a VGA port. All others are cut free.

This one below.

Don't look now if you love the Wii.

Ben Heck also does a lot of portables creation videos. He did an N64 a few years ago (like lots, pretty sure he started doing this a VERY long time ago).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ben+heck+portables

He claims to have made this portable in 2001! Also keep in mind people tend to trust Ben for the most part, he also famously got to test and fiddle with that Nintendo Playstation when it first emerged.

As I said earlier this is a part of the hobby, hardware hacking. It's not for me and I try to keep everything I have as original as possible (ode and display mods aside) but I appreciate the effort and results all the same. The electronics side is part of where gaming was born I guess. Some of the first games were made by nerds in labs with frickin' oscilloscopes not corporations making special editions. I think both things can co-exist.

It's funny too, I often feel like a minority when I roll up at the local Amiga meet with a real Amiga and a CRT when i'm surrounded by flat panels and either emulation, PI's and cases that have been tossed for the newest fancy transparent case and Indiegogo keycaps (don't worry there's plenty of real stuff!). On top of that I'm pretty jealous of people who can afford period appropriate accelerators too - i'd ditch mine in a heatbeat for the real deal any day. I really do get the preservation aspect - like 200% I get it. But by the same token, i somewhat admire the vampire powered machines and the MiSTER's even though I'd never consider them Amigas despite how good they are, they are more of an extension I guess and an out and out replacement if you've sold off your collection of real HW and only use them instead. It's just not the same.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    baronbaldric likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADES

greencamel65 likes this.