Retro videos to watch.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

oh dang. i meant to post about this show a couple weeks back.

1st ep is titled 'preservation or emulation'
    yep, its going to be speaking to you elvis

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's all pretty basic 101 stuff (snuck in ep 1 on emulation today, and half of ep 2 on fighting games). Nothing I've come across yet that I didn't already know.

If you're not familiar with what the episodes are about, it's probably a good intro / catch up. They cover most of the important stuff without getting bogged down in the details.

Very US centric of course. Nothing to do with the rest of the world so far. No idea if future episodes will cover more diverse content, but there's 10 EPs all up.

[Edit] Quick skim of the titles, seems to be a bit retro at first, then modern gamer-bro and e-sports. Again, unsurprising given it's Vice. I kinda wished they'd branched out a bit and looked at international gaming. The US needs to learn that it was very different in other parts of the world.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yer. i almost wrote they were singing to the choir (you)
    but meant it would be agreeable to you :thumbup:

elvis likes this.
  4. flain

flain Member

Nice video by Nostalgia Nerd on a hardware megadrive clone

dicer, elvis, greencamel65 and 2 others like this.
  5. CRTified

CRTified Member

6. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've been watching a doco called 'System Shock: How The Mp3 Changed Music' about Napster, etc. It's really well done with relevant people interviewed and some good footage. Some of those bloody music execs have me wanting to throw things at the screen - they got their arses handed to them after shutting down Napster and watching a zillion clones pop up, so they started going after random folks caught downloading songs! Steve Jobs of course bullied them into using a viable digital model but the industry still took a huge hit - a well known story but worth a watch.

MUTMAN and Flamin Joe like this.
  7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Just watched Part 1, will watch the rest later when I get home. :thumbup:

Yet another reminder to me of how awesome the 90's were.

8. elvis

It's available for free on SBS Viceland. I enjoyed it a lot.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I didn't even think of looking there, I rarely watch free to air TV these days so it wasn't on my radar.

Found them on YouTube. The link to the other episodes is in the description.

greencamel65, MUTMAN and badmofo like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Mark Fixes Stuff has had a fire, so gutted for him.

11. elvis

Ah man, that sucks.

I had a friend lose his entire collection in the 2011 floods here in Brisbane. Canadian fella who ran retro gaming stores in both Canada and Japan for years, had some AMAZING gear that was super rare - much of it completely irreplaceable.

Insurance paid out, but what was the point? 80% of his stuff did exist anywhere else in the world any more, or was at prices well beyond what insurance thought they were worth.

He used the payout to quit his IT job and become a photographer, which brought him a lot more spiritual/artistic fulfilment. But I know how much it still all haunts him to this day.

And all of this plays on my mind A LOT, and it's a big reason why I investigate alternatives that aren't based on always needing real/old hardware. Could I get a similar experience and enjoy the stuff I enjoy now if I lost it all and had to start again from zero? I'm pretty confident I could. The loss would hurt, but more and more I'm removing my reliance on physical things, and putting it into a community who provide modern unlimited alternatives to old and physically limited things.

greencamel65 likes this.
  12. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I hope his insurance provider is good so he can quickly get into a new home for his family and busy doing work he finds rewarding.

Replacing the vintage gear he had will be difficult in most cases and impossible in some. However, his skills are intact and his tools are replaceable. If he enjoys repairing and working on old stuff and chooses to, he can rebuild.

MUTMAN likes this.