'RetroBright' - De-Yellowing plastics

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by mAJORD, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Can you please post the link? Because I'm unable to find this reddit post no matter what different search terms I use.

Without seeing the post it's all very well to have one person say that this caused their consoles to disintegrate within 3 years, but what about the many out there who have been retrobrighting since the early 2010's with the full sun plus chemicals? Shouldn't they have been kissing their plastics goodbye by now?

At most what we've heard is stories of the yellowing coming back which means having the repeat the process again. This is one thing I'm not comfortable with as we still don't know what repeated retrobrighting will do to the plastic but considering what we already know about UV and it's long term effects on plastic I'm not keen to find out.

Look I'm under no false impression that there aren't any risks associated with the sun and plastics. I think anyone with half a brain knows that if you leave any sort of plastic out in direct sun, especially in Australia, that over a period of time the plastic fades, degrades and becomes brittle. So I don't think anyone is completely unaware of the dangers.

The thing is though the damage you do see from plastic out in the sun is from plastic which has received day after day, month after month of UV exposure. So in other words they have been copping a long term exposure to UV (and heat I might add) which is not good for the plastic. But at most these plastics are getting a couple of days of direct UV exposure and that's it. I'm not going to be silly enough to leave them sitting out there for weeks on end.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

While the chemical method is still damaging (the plastics will absolutely be more brittle, whether you notice or not), often this is done over a much shorter amount of time. As others analogise: "I've been smoking for 10 years and don't have cancer yet, so all good!".

The full sun method typically requires far more direct sunlight for longer, doing more damage, due to the photodegradable nature of plastics.

All of this is damaging your stuff, and needs to stop.

I'll find the link for you shortly.

[edit]

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattl...a/a_warning_about_lightbrightingsunbrighting/

[edit2]

I promised long ago that I'd stay out of this thread. I broke that promise today, so I apologise. It breaks my heart to see old systems destroyed, so once again I'll say my piece and leave. This all makes me far too emotional to see continuing, so I'm out.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

From the link:

No wonder! :shock:

My personal thoughts/feelings on the length of time, if it takes more than 3 days for the full sun method to deyellow the plastic to your satisfaction then it's just not worth it.

From my experience if it's heavily yellowed then it's going to probably take as much time as the reddit user to completely deyellow in which the risk of damaging the plastic is too great. I put the two front panels I previously tested with out today for there 3rd day and while they continue to slowly deyellow the process is so slow I'd imagine it would at least a week to get "acceptable" results. So i've pulled the pin on continuing with them.

Anything lightly yellowed should only take the 1-2 days but like I said previously it does appear to depend on the type of plastic. The mouse I mentioned literally deyellowed in a matter of hours, the other keyboards etc are showing some deyellowing over the course of the day but would probably still need another day. So it is a bit hit and miss.

In conclusion I honestly don't think a couple of days is going to end in destruction for the plastic years down the track. It's just not enough continued exposure especially in the case of the mouse which only took a few hours. But I think I am sitting on the fence a bit more as to whether this is a viable alternative due to the hit and miss nature of some plastics I found today and the realisation that the really yellowed plastics is going to take more time then I'm comfortable with.