Retrocomputing clubs, or OCAU Retro & Arcade meetup?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by bYrd, Mar 28, 2017.

1. bYrd

bYrd Member

Hi,

I'd love to meet up with others into retrocomputing. I think the "hobby" of collecting old computers and consoles has changed from the past 5 years from just collecting free old machines to that of preservation (both in a historical and maintenance point of view). It's still very small, niche hobby though, and it'd be great to meet up with others locally.

Are there any retro computing clubs that you know of in your state? I know of the Amiga User's Group in Melbourne, but nothing else.

Should we consider having our own retrocomputing meet one day?

JB

2. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

I remember reading about Flashback which was held here in Sydney, couldn't make it as I was living in Melbourne at the time.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1025470

Seems like there's a lot more vintage stuff retained by Melbourne folk (or Brisbane) than in Sydney, I'm presently pondering on how to collect a shedload of stuff from outer Melbourne ...

Probably no need to organise a club as we're all friends in here :D however some of the old user groups are still running, and they might be a good place to start as well.

On that note, I think there is an Apple meetup that happens from time to time (Wozfest? jeremybh knows about this one) that sounds awesome, last time that was held in Wollstonecraft here in Sydney.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The AussieArcade guys do meetups on a regular basis, but they seem to be much more involved in the pinball side of things in general. I've been to a few of their larger ones where arcade guys get in on it too, but very rarely do consoles and computers get brought along to the meets.

We've got Netherworld Arcade/Bar here in Brisbane now, which would be a nice spot for a meetup (heaps of arcades and consoles, as well as good food and drink):
    http://www.netherworldarcade.com/

There's also "1UP Arcade" coming to Morningside soon too:
    http://www.1uparcade.com.au/

Should be similar spots in Melbourne, yeah?

4. nimmers

nimmers Member

http://1989.com.au/ - these guys have a monthly retro night in Sydney

EDIT: they make an awesome burger too.

5. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

In Melbourne and would be keen :thumbup:

Would also be keen to have a venue in which to showcase all my rigs (see sig) where others could use / appreciate them.

Unfortunately my house is extremely not optimal for this.

Anyone in Melb got an old factory who is also into retro computing?

"Melbourne Computer Museum" or some such? :D

6. OP
    OP
    bYrd

bYrd Member

That's what I'm getting at sonicthemouse - sure we can all flaunt our prize nerd rigs online, but how good would it be in real life, with bad body odour and neckbeards in tow? :D OCAU used to have frequent meets.

A shared space to meet would be good, for any retro hardware

7. power

power Member

I still have to get down to Netherworld, there's also another location just opened at Albion

http://www.soyt.com.au/cafe/

http://concreteplayground.com/brisbane/food-drink/food-2/meet-brisbanes-new-retro-video-game-cafe/

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

(Crosspost, please forgive me forum overlords)

Brisbane based folks, I'll be at 1-UP arcade at 9:00am tomorrow (Sunday) morning for the Brisbane Video Game Market #8 event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1283973878381606/?ref=br_rs

And then maybe pop in to 1-UP for some games after that too (the arcade opens at 10am because of the markets).

Free entry to the market, $15 entry to the arcade where all games are always on free play.

If you're looking for me, look for a tall baldy beardy wearing a Super Metroid shirt.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

10. power

power Member

11. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

12. iMic

iMic Member

I found out this evening that the Adelaide Retro Computing Group is closing down after their December 8th meeting. Such a shame, this was an excellent club with a good community and some unique and obscure hardware regularly on show.

Would like to see it continue, if there was enough interest and a venue in Adelaide to host it from every so often. Maybe there are some Adelaide OCAU members interested in doing something like this, or know of some places it could be held on a semi-regular basis, I could pass it on and see if anything can be done to keep it afloat.

13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

That sucks. I only just found that group earlier this year and being originally from Adelaide it was something I was keeping an eye on for whenever I was down visiting family. They had some really good stuff on show it's a shame to see it stop after only a couple of years.

14. Quick Reply

Quick Reply Member

I would really love something in Melbourne. I have an old MFM hard drive with a treasure trove of games I can't access because I can't find anything to read MFM.

15. adz

adz Member

Where in Melbourne are you?

16. OP
    OP
    bYrd

bYrd Member

The Adelaide Retrocomputing club looked great - checking out their website even had me looking up what an FM Towns is, great piece of tech!

So ... Melbourne will be where the next club meets? :D Potentially in a shared space, bring along your favourite hardware.

17. adz

adz Member

Any reason why we couldn't host our own event somewhere in Melbourne?

18. OP
    OP
    bYrd

bYrd Member

No - collectively all we need is a venue and bench space, like a library, shared office space, a hall? I'd be happy to help organise the day, but don't have good inroads on a location.

19. adz

adz Member

Maybe a poll to see who would be keen based on region? I've always said the inner north is the fairest as it works out even for the people in both east and west districts. I know of a few halls in the Heidelberg area.

20. adz

adz Member