Retrofitting SLI 1070 MXM into a 4yr old laptop

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bennyg, Jun 22, 2017.

1. magao

magao Member

You could make suggestions to Metabox (AU reseller) - they might incorporate suggestions into their builds.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

Yeah a 1060 will be fine for me. Rare as hens teeth though :Paranoid:

3. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

You sir are a mad genius. Huge effort, amazing work :thumbup:

4. toopy28

toopy28 Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    bennyg

bennyg Member

Yep all his threads on TI are nuked
    The one with all Clevo service manuals was helpful. Lucky I've been able to find the couple I wanted elsewhere

He's just got jack of people nicking his work and made his site private. Something is in the works for www.premamod.com but don't know just what yet

I've got prema bios installed on it now. With max fans on the temps are much more reasonable but boy it's loud.

6. OP
    OP
    bennyg

bennyg Member

eDP panel (LP173WF2TPB1) and cable (actually from the P170HM3 but other than being a couple of inches longer is electrically identical) arrived and it's now like a proper laptop with working internal display.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took quite a bit of troubleshooting to get working 100% since the original vBIOS didn't run the DP outs (either eDP for internal display, or external DP out) - since I assume the G65VR-6RE these cards came from had an add-in board that handled the extra monitor outputs. A different vBIOS (from GT62VR-1070) got the internal display working (1st pic there) but the driver/INF mod package refused to install. Since that driver package had installed and worked fine on the 1070s I assumed it was still a vBIOS problem so went on an orgy of trying different vBIOSes both gsync (device ID 1BE1) and nongsync (1BA1), clevo and msi, from the oldest I could find to the newest, nothing worked, the original DP-less vBIOS was the only one that installed drivers and ran the cards ok, and ones from the GT62VR-1070 1BA1 vBIOS were the ones that only ran the internal display and only through the basic windoze display driver.

Then I shifted focus to the driver package, downloaded the latest G65VR-6RE drivers that MSI bothered signing, 375.70 from Oct last year (the usual OEM not bothering to update drivers for EOL products thing, especially shoddy for the G65 which is an extremely expensive >AU$4000 top end SFFPC!). INF modded that and it installed fine with an early 1BA1 vBIOS. Flashed a power-limit modded later vBIOS to the cards, SLI works, the cards can draw up to 170W (over stock 115W), though it blackscreened almost instantly when I raised the draw over 160W under a very short furmark test - not that the designed-for-75W heatsinks would handle that longterm anyway!

Happy it's a properly functioning laptop now and given the efficiency of pascal at idle with each GPU drawing only 5W, I should even be able to get a couple hours unplugged out of it!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    bennyg

bennyg Member

D'oh, just realised the photobucket pics are down. Will relink to imgur when I get a chance

I got a second P370EM shell (dead 7970M, is there any other kind lol) with a 3940XM in it.

Overclocks to 4.3ghz fine at a max of 88C, can do 4.4 (+50mV) and 4.5 (+100mV) but thermals get too much.

It added 10-15% in raw CPU performance, physics score in firestrike went up in line with the clock boost (and the extra L3 cache), and 5% in the graphics tests - indicating there is a CPU bottleneck in the system feeding the GPUs

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/13343231/fs/13342093#

Only difference between the two was the CPU. 3740QM @ 3.9GHz unlimited power limit, vs 3940XM @ 4.3ghz unlimited power limit.

8. OP
    OP
    bennyg

bennyg Member

OP updated with imgur image links and latest benchmarks

Still goes alright, no stability problems. Thermals seem a tiny bit worse after removing a thermal pad I had between the CPU and slave GPU heatsinks, slave GPU hits temp limit near the end of FS GT2 and about 2/3rd through TS GT2.