Reusing a treadmill motor

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by xc351, Mar 16, 2020.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

Well I have a older York treadmill that blows the fuse motor kicks in forca, split second at full r, straight way was a 10a unit droped in a 10a then 15a.

It's a horrible expoxy coated design and well I don't care enough about trying to fix it. Family member dropped it off and demanded I look at it.

I presume the motor would be salvageable am I right to rip it out remove rpm sensor and run some sort of rpm controller.

Im wanting it to make a large brass tumbler so would need to spin a 20l drum filled with water brass and stainless pins.

My last one was simply a pool pump motor that turned a 12mm drive shaft that the drum sat on. Speed was a touch to fast but was good while it lasted.

2. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

Is there a question in this barely comprehensible ramble?

O-B-E-L-I-X likes this.
  3. merlin13

merlin13 Member

More relevant question methinks - supposedly as an electrician experienced with dicking about with industrial grade stuff, just what part of "...blows the fuse..." and "...I presume the motor would be salvageable..." does the OP not equate to a workable solution there?...

HSV_Enigma and O-B-E-L-I-X like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Before I get 2 into it I'll just power up motor and see if its good.

Dont get me wrong the motor might very well be stuffed. But due to most of it being expoxied it's will be hard to pinpoint a issue there is quite alot of extra wiring that's not needed such as tilt motor and switches, rpm sensors. Hell could be as simple as a wire shorting out.

But let's say presuming motor is good is it safe to presume I could rip it out and hook up to a simple PWM controller to turn a drive axle that in turn would turn a 20-30kg drum at 30rpm

5. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

What type of motor? DC? Brushless?

6. oculi

oculi Member

treadmill motors are commonly used to make belt grinders, might help you find info. I'd use something else for a tumbler, (an old cordless drill dodgied to run off a powerpack or ATX powersupply maybe) using a treadmill motor sounds like a bother.

7. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

My basic research it's a dc motor 180v (or there abouts found 2 yorks with similar spec) 1hp 4500rpm

Now based on the 400mm drum size and my drive shaft size of 12mm I will need approx 1000rpm

Again presuming speed curve is linear means I wont need to feed it the full 180v. Hell I could use a 75mm rubber wheel on drive axle to drop needed rpm to 160.

I used a drill ages ago they simply don't like being run that long with that much load on it. I cooked a old makaita drill as it stays on for 1~2hrs could always try a smaller bucket or a new drill which I can return if it cooks it.

That's when I ripped appart a old pool pump and used that as ita designed to run 24/7 with a fair load on it.

Talking about grinders I do have a few of them as well that are m12 threaded might research and see what kind of rpm they run at.

8. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

I still have no idea what you are rambling about, for an electrician your fault finding skills are woeful. Perhaps less 'hell' and more pictures, even just a question mark would help.

9. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

U can't get to the tracks/solder or test points. Everything is covered in a rubber expoxy coating.

I don't want to repair it just salvage the motor.

Unit is 6-700km away from me at the moment as I'm away working hence no pics.

10. merlin13

merlin13 Member

For the fuck-arsing around for your intended purpose, save yourself the ongoing dicking-about and go find a cheap tumble drier or old cement mixer and cannibalise the bits out of one or both of those.

11. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Actully that may work

Wonder what rpm both of them run at.

Commercial tumblers are arround $500 so if I can build one bigger for the same. Price I'm happy.

The commercial units are rather tiny and I'll have spare time and prolly need to wash 30-50kg of brass easy.

12. kjparker

kjparker Member

Far less mucking around... Cheap enough you could make a few...

13. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

That's more or less the exactkybwhat I did with my old drill based one With 20l bucket but it burned out I leave it on for 2hrs - 3hrs depending how bad the brass is.

Wiper motors arnt cheap though plus not sure what models are suitable to look for used ones.

14. kjparker

kjparker Member

how much brass are you going through / reloading, that you need to do that much at once?

A wiper motor from a quick look starts at $15 on ebay. I doubt it really matters what it is out of. You apply 12 volts to it, it spins...

15. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

I've got a dillon 650 so if I'm going to the effort of changing it and setting it up I'm doing 1000+ rounds. Last time I did a batch of 223 it was 2000 over 2 days. Prolly 3hrs of press time. I have 38sp, 357mag, 9mm, 223, 308 all with 1-2000 empty cases. 45/70 & 44mag it's prolly 500 each.
    Admittly that will last me a fair while but if I get time off ill be spending extra time at my property plinking/hunting and have hours to burn.