Review : AMOD GPS Logger

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ic3man, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Ic3man

Ic3man Member

Amod GPS Photo Tracker AGL3080
    Amod GPS Photo tracker, is basically a GPS tracker that logs your GPS location per seconds(customisable) so that you can use it for trip tracking, or in my case Photo tagging.

Click to view full size!

The Package contents comes with
    Software CD, Hanging Strip, USB Cable, and the AGL3080.
    Requirements are 3x AAA batteries

Dimensions of the tracker are 90x45x23mm(HxWxD) weight is about 50g without batteries

Specifications : SiRF Star III chipset with a sensitivity of -158 dBm
    Storage capacity : 128Mb
    USB 2.0 Mini USB connection
    Software CD – Manual , AMOD GPS tracking software (PC ), JE Photo Studio Lite(MAC)

Running time : According to the specifications 15 hours continuous running time.
    I stuffed some Imedion 950mah rechargeable that I got recently into it and got approximately 17-18 hours without the power meter turning to solid red which is meant to mean power very low replace batteries immediately.

Okay so now for the review.. The unit is small enough and robust enough to last nearly any conditions. Its solidly built and can retain fingerprints just as well as my iPhone and or HD2 mobile phone touchscreens do.

Click to view full size!

Turning it on is a simple task, push the power button located on the left hand side for a second or so and the device comes to life. I’ve found waiting for a GPS signal to lock is anywhere between 30 seconds to 3 minutes depending on if you’re already travelling or not.
    It also has another button located on the other side to mark specific points whilst in operational mode.

Click to view full size!

Setup mode which is accessed by holding both buttons for approximately 5 seconds you can then select which mode you want to use.
    Mode 1 Memory Full Led ON GGA/GSA/RMC/VTG->1 sec,GSV -> 5 sec, 260,000 72 hours
    Mode 2 Memory Full Led Flash Only RMC->1 sec 1,040,000 288 hours
    Mode 3 GPS Led ON GGA/GSA/RMC/VTG/GSV->5 sec 260,000 360 hours
    Mode 4 GPS Led Flash Only RMC->5 sec 1,040,000 1,440 hours
    Mode 5 Battery Low Led ON GGA/GSA/RMC/VTG/GSV->10 sec 260,000 720 hours
    Mode 6 Battery Low Led Flash Only RMC->10 sec 1,040,000 2,880 hours
    There is also a clear memory function just in case you run out of space.

To geo-tag my photos it will now require that I properly calibrate my time on my cameras to somewhat correct times.
    So now that I’ve done this all I need to do is go for a trip and take some photos whilst the GPS tracker is on.

After some research and looking at my available options on the net, I could use a piece of software that plugs into my Lightroom 3 software but seems a little bit annoying. I came across Geosetter which looked the goods. The program supplied on the CD just didn’t cut it from the screenshots from the manual.

Click to view full size!

Geosetter is essentially a program that tags the location into the EXIF data on your photos you take, using the GPS logs from the tracker.
    For the purpose of the review, I happened to have driven towards Gippsland for work purposes and I always drag my Canon S90 with me.
    I manually copy the pictures to my HDD( you don’t actually have to do this). Followed by plugging in the GPS tracker. The USB cover is somewhat fiddly and is possibly a con for this device but I’m really not fussed. The pro’s of the device is that is shows up like a USB storage device and isn’t required to be powered or even have batteries in it.
    I then fired up Geosetter.

The software is fairly straight forward and easy to use. Bar finding the icon that actually makes the software tag your photos.
    Under the tracks tag.. open up the folder or the tracks you wish to use.
    Select the tracks the apply to your trip and or photo library.

Then I click on the Icon on the toolbar that looks like a MAP or hit Ctrl+G

Click to view full size!

Now for all purposed I’ve tinkered with many settings and I’ve found this to work the best and the time actually synchronises up.
    By default the program saves the original photos as a backup but you can turn this off if needed.
    Once you hit okay.. the photo is now tagged.
    You can tweak the EXIF information if you really want before it is exported etc. I didn’t bother. Then you save the changes that you have made.
    Then you can upload the photo to whatever service supports geo-tagging or if you want to look at them in future all you would have to do is open the file in Geosetter.

Here are my test tagged images in my gallery that im still working on.
    See Photo Tagged1
    See Photo Tagged2

Conclusion : For approximately $94 AUD shipped, this device similar to all other GPS trackers will do exactly what the rest of the trackers do. I would recommend this device to anyone that wanted to tag their photos with their location.
    I would give this device 4.5/5. It only loses points due to the really badly located USB connection and cover.

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Thanks for the review! :)

3. PeterW

PeterW Member

GPS tracking

I have a Nikon D5000 with an after market GPS (~ $200 from US) unit connected by a short cable. It works well but can drain the camera battery if you leave it on. The GPS lock is problematic in a forest (and therefore indoors). The photos have the GPS data placed in the EXIF with no post processing required. It does look a bit messy hanging on the side of the camera!

4. OP
    OP
    Ic3man

Ic3man Member

yeah unfortunately canon don't officially suport any gps tagging on any of their bodies, as far as im aware.

5. Irwin

Irwin Member

Now with 100 USD, you may buy a much better dedicated gps such as Easytagger GPS which can geotag cameras such as D5000, D7000 and D300 etc. Also it can work as a data loggger such as Amod to work on all digital cameras.

6. OP
    OP
    Ic3man

Ic3man Member

Easytagger looks like a great device.. looks like it ships for $132USD from their website..Great for those with nikons and who knows possible integration with future models of canon.

Issue I have is that if im travelling for a whole day.. swapping batteries on this unit won't be as easy as swapping out a few triple aaa's. There are many devices out for around the $100USD mark.. the issue is are they completely suitable and meet all my criteria.

I plan to pair it up with a powertraveller and a usb recharger so with a few sets of AAA I can have over a week of logging if im off the grid.