REVIEW Review: Audioengine A5 vs. Aktimate Mini

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by spAm^bOy, Jul 6, 2012.

1. hogpig

hogpig Member

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a aktimate mini+ speakers and they sound great! But i encountered a problem where there is a excess amount of static/hiss noise when i turn the speakers on. I dont think i noticed it when i first test it but it became more obvious but the sound quality its still good.

i asked the seller and he said its probably the amplifier noise and its normal but im not so sure. :confused: can someone tell me if this happens to their speakers ? cheers

2. prax

prax Member

I have a aktimate micro, its already loud with its own dac but when hooked to xonar dx, its too loud! i have to have the digital volume to around 50% or lower. but generally just rotating the knob to 0 with that still gives me audible music. Is there something wrong here? unless i have xonar below 50% i cant go beyond 15% with the front knob.

3. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

That sucks, I hope it's isolated and not indicative of the quality overall. Since my hi-fi order fell through I bought a set of A5+ with S8 for the interim. I'm really happy with the sound but it's too directional.

4. Everlong

Everlong Member

Audioengine (via PC case gear) sorted out the warranty nice and quickly and replaced with the newer A5+ model and so far no problems. I only use mine for nearfield listening so the directional sound isn't something I have noticed.

5. Renza

Renza Member

I just bought some faulty Aktimate Minis off here for $100. fixed it up and its working brilliantly. I think the Atkimates are much better for nearfield listening. the A5 bass isnt good until you're at least 3m from them, so i don't think they're as suited for PC speakers.

Haven't directly compared them, but I'll be keeping both anyway and can do a comparison soon!

6. prax

prax Member

can anyone comment on the apparent volume oddities coming from aktimate micro? like how having its volume at 0 but with sound card at 100, you could still clearly hear the music. and how when turning the knob from zero it switches to the right speaker then balances as you raise the volume?

7. garetz

garetz Member

Well finally got some aktimate mini+ for $445, i paired it with my audio-gd nfb-15.32, and coming from a logitech z680 i am impressed with the clarity and accuracy.

I am however wondering if i should upgrade the speaker cable and or the interconnects ( as the interconnects are some cheap $1 job rca cables)

Anyone upgraded anything on the speakers and saw a difference ?
    As far as i can tell you can upgrade the speaker cables, interconnects and power cable.

8. KSB1978

KSB1978 Member

I personally do find cables to make some difference in a good system.
    Usually, the interconnects have a lot more profound effect, as the signal is then amplified after the change to the signal occurs.

I suppose there is two camps of thoughts in this cable thing... people who believe it and people who don't. But if you break it down more, there are more camps. People who tried many cables and still haven't heard any difference, people who tried many cables and hears differences, people who haven't experimented but firmly believes it doesn't make any difference, people who haven't heard differences personally but understands things like this can make a difference, people who are deaf... people who chooses to deny he's been punched in the face because he hadn't done a double blind test about it... etc.

In reality, cables have different electro-conductive characters and it makes differences to the electrical waves traveling through it. That surely makes a difference to the sound created.

The point is not to spend more money... but look at the build quality of the connection, termination... how strong the RCA grips to terminal, stuff like that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  9. garetz

garetz Member

I ended up upgrading the interconnects to Wireworld Solstice 6, which has some improvements, but not as much as i would expect.

Where i noticed the big difference in change was when i upgraded the usb cable for the dac to a wireworld starlight 7, dam that really blew me away the difference it made.

I might also try the chord crimson+ interconnects, see how i go.

10. czman863

czman863 Member

garetz where did you get the Aktimate mini+ for $445?

11. garetz

garetz Member

12. czman863

czman863 Member

I read on other forums some Aktimate Mini has hissing/white noise. Any of you guys experiencing that?

13. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Maybe they are defective units or perhaps the cables connecting the speakers to the TV are not properly shielded? I have a pair and I haven't heard it since I got a decently shielded cable attached to the DAC, attached to the TV.

14. garetz

garetz Member

I use the default cabling with the Aktimate Mini+ and get absolutely no hissing or white noise. However the interconnects it comes with is pitiful $1-2 cables.

Its more likely the problem comes from the source than the speakers themselves. As long as you dont have substandard dac you wont have a problem.

I have tested using a asus stx internal soundcard, and a audio-gd nfb15.32 TCXO external dac. I do notice some small barely audible hiss using the stx, but there is no noise when using the 15.32.

15. czman863

czman863 Member

I just bought some Aktimate Mini+. They sound pretty good still, waiting for my DAC/AMP to come.

But the ones i got seem to have the hissing noise. Can only be heard 5cm away from tweeters, when the speakers are turned on. This is without plugging any source in, it only has the power cable in the speakers.

Could you double check again if you speakers have static noise from the tweeters when your ears are right up against the tweeters.

16. garetz

garetz Member

I can hear a faint buzzing, with my ears 5cm away from the tweeter, happens even when muted. First time i noticed it, but its inaudible further than 5cm.

17. czman863

czman863 Member

Yes that was the hissing I was talking about. I guess all tweeters have them. Ty for confirming, just making sure it wasnt just my speakers.

18. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

Just jumped on these, driven from Xonar STX via RCA. Cost me over $800 to move to new speakers and the STX ( new wireless card, rca cables), but fuck, they sound amazing!

19. TheImp

TheImp Member

Just pulled the trigger on a set. I'm looking forward to getting them!

20. AgenaFX

AgenaFX Member

Does anyone get feedback/noise from piano music/female vocal?

I've been doing comparisons with my new Mini+ and my JBL LSR 2325P studio monitors and there always seems to be a slight buzz on high notes/frequencies.

Once heard, I cannot unhear it. Very frustrating. Anyone else had this issue ?(related to tweeter buzzing?)