REVIEW Review: Audioengine A5 vs. Aktimate Mini

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by spAm^bOy, Jul 6, 2012.

1. DeathwinG

DeathwinG Member

no bass!!

I am in the same boat as Shags.... Just bought a set of the mini's and am shocked at the lack of bass they produce.

Maybe my klipsch promedia 4.1's spoilt me all these years.
    It was a sad day when they blew up, which has now been made even sadder by listening to these speakers.

I am thinking about getting a sound blaster z card which will hopefully let me increase the bass a bit.

If that fails, I will have to start looking for a sub :upset:

2. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

I've never had any problem with their bass, and I say that as somone that listens to an awful lot of house....

3. Shags

Shags Member

How big is the room though ? I'm sure mine would have been fine if i was in a bedroom or study, but mine are in a large open plan lounge/kitchen area with hardwood floors, i think that's why i needed the sub.

4. DeathwinG

DeathwinG Member

The room i have mine in would be no bigger than 3.5x3.5.
    They are placed either side of my 27inch monitor, and sit about 15-20cm out from the wall / window.

Reading around it seems that if they are too close to a wall the bass sounds "boomy" - i wish that were the case!

I am beginning to think it is just my perception, and the lack of "feeling" the bass of a dedicated subwoofer that i have been so used to.

If anyone is interested, the soundblaster z made little difference, even adjusting the bass up all it seems to do is make them sound worse / distorted.

Having to reset the input selection / volume each time i turn them on is a little annoying, but kind of makes sense.

5. Shags

Shags Member

Tried putting blutac under the speakers?

Agree on the input selection, very frustrating.

The Mrs and I were talking last night about how great the system sounds now, i really recommend gettnig a sub, the one i got is working fantastic.

6. DeathwinG

DeathwinG Member

I haven't - but will definitely try it. Appreciate the advise!

What sub / cable arrangement did you end up going with?

7. Shags

Shags Member

Give it a shot see if it does anything, have you put the little feet on the speakers atleast?

I have a Xonar DX i think, it was around $80

Line out on the DX, RCA IN on the Speakers > RCA Out on Speakers > RCA In on Sub.

I got a wharfdale sw150 from JB hifi, on special at the time for $380, can't recommend this setup enough sounds fantastic :)

If you lived in Melb would be happy for you to have a listen

8. DeathwinG

DeathwinG Member

OK, I tried the blutac method but really didn't notice any change. I just put a strip on the bottom of the front and back of each speaker. I also had the feet attached.

Looks like i will be up for a sub when $$s permit :(

I almost want to go back to my "spare old junk" altec acs 48's in the mean time, as the akitmates just sound so tinny

Hopefully others can learn from this!

9. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

There should always be a disclaimer :) don't expect lots of low frequency output from cheap bookshelf speakers, heck even expensive bookshelf speakers don't always deliver in this department - I'm sure they could, but the market would be too small to serve. What I mean by that last sentence is that you will find many a PC subwoofer that is roughly the size of say a 6.5" bookshelf speaker so in theory having two of those should produce more low frequency output than a single box housing a single 6.5" driver, but due to design considerations this isn't usually the case. Generally speaking getting more low end, means a less efficient design, which means more power which in the world of PC speakers is usually dealt with by driving amps further into distortion. In the case of the limited low frequency range that a subwoofer is asked to produce, it probably won't be noticeable at the volume levels expected of this level of gear.

I guess the answer to this is probably to have a pair of active bookshelf speakers that is basically a 6.5" woofer with integrated satellites in the front baffle. Say 3" midrange and 3/4" tweeter isolated from the 6.5" bass driver with separate crossovers and amplification. Basically turning the typical 2.1 setup into a 2.2 in the form factor of a 2.0.

10. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i find the A5+ and S8 work well together

11. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

So is the Aktimate mini still better than the A5?

What's different about the mini+?

What about the A5+?

What's the build quality like for each? If Aktimate sounds better, will it last as long?

How do they cope with adding some sort of sub? What subs are recommended?

Considering getting some this week.

12. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

I've had my Aktimate Minis since they first came out and no issues at all.
    The only glitch that I've got is the power LED sometimes doesn't turn on, however flicking the power off and on again fixes it. Doesn't impact functionality at all, just something I find annoying.

No issues with adding a sub as its just an RCA pre out.

13. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Did you ever compare them to the A5+?

Do you know what the mini+ adds?

Looking at prices on scorptec i'm also thinking it might be better value to just get the A5+ with an S8 sub or something similar.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  14. Everlong

Everlong Member

I had the A4s which developed a buzz in the slave speaker which Audioengine replaced with A5+, and I am happy with them. For the price they are a quality bit of kit that produce a nice natural sound. I do usually fill out the bottom end with an 8 inch sub, but that only just today went on the fritz :rolleyes:

edit: sub is not an Audioengine S8

15. tasmik

tasmik Member

using a jbl sub from a home theater setup, does the job, I like the added touch it gives the A5s