[Review] AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by samywamy10, Jul 11, 2012.

1. samywamy10

samywamy10 Member

Hi all,
    Recently I got a Game Broadcaster HD from AVerMedia, and thus did a review on it. It has both HDMI and VGA (for iPad recording - a must) inputs and can record at up to 1080p at 60fps - not bad for $180 at PCCG. Reply with any better value capture card, or with what you use.

Written script below (yes I script my videos - do I sound robotic?).

2. KajiFox

KajiFox Member

Not so much worried about recording, but can it -stream- PS3 via HDMI, say in a window?

3. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

Hauppauge Colossus?

No vga but has component inputs instead but can only do up to 1080i. I use one to record/timeshift and control my foxtel pos stb from HTPC.

4. Luke212

Luke212 Member

yeah can a third party get a hook on the stream and display to a custom window?

5. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

This, with zero latency, then I have already bought one.

6. partybear

partybear Member

I was playing guitar hero 3 on mine and it does have a frame or two of lag, about the same as a normal hdtv. My solution was pretty simple, I just bought a hdmi splitter and I have one going to the card and one to the screen. I think the splitter was $12 off hongkong ebay. Then you can record while playing with zero lag. Also I haven't tested this but I have read of people doing it. If you use fraps to record you can actually record stuff with hdcp, you just can't do it with the factory record function.

7. OP
    OP
    samywamy10

samywamy10 Member

Make sure you get a powered splitter.

8. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Very nice review!

For my Retro videos I use a Geforce FX5200 which has a S-Video out. This works really well and is cheap and solid.

Only useful for low resolution stuff though like DOS VGA games :D

9. Dexash

Dexash Member

Nice review. I like how you mention things like only being able to record from one input at a time. Those sorts of details can be quite difficult to figure out from the manuals if not mentioned explicitly.

Small suggestions would be, when you're mentioning the accessories, maybe show them to save the viewer having to visualise each one from your description.

Any suggestions for alternate capture software? VLC has the ability to capture from devices and save to a file, though maybe just as clunky to set up as the bundled software, it is free though.

10. xok

xok Member

Hey, i'm interested in buying one of these.

Firstly, I've got a 120hz monitor and a 60hz monitor - would I be able to record and play games at 120hz while still using my 2nd monitor?