1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Review: Dodgey Printer refill kit (black)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by lagmaster, Apr 15, 2006.

1. lagmaster

lagmaster Member

Now, we have all seen them in the shops, with their little table and annoying microphone and speaker box with a cute little epson printer that is printing using the inks. Supposedly.

But, I am willing to bet that you have wondered at some stage about the actualy quality of the printout. So I decided that it might be a good idea to purchase one of these "kits". That was 2001. Now that the kit is 5 years (and 3 days) old (according to the reciept), I decided that it had collected dust for long enough!

Now, the printer I was using in this test is a Canon PIXMA IP1000. Not the best of printers, but has a very good output considering it's low price. The paper used was HP Office paper for the standard paper, and Kodak Matte Inkjet paper for the high quality prints.

I will point out, that at this point, I have only done the black ink, as my colour tank is still full. I had an old black lying around, so I though, what the heck! When I have done the colour, I will merge it with this review.

Down to business!

In the box you recieve the following things:
    • 1 bottle of black ink (30mL each)
    • 1 bottle of Cyan ink (30mL)
    • 1 bottle of Yellow ink (30mL)
    • 1 bottle of Magenta ink (30mL)
    • 1 bottle of Head Cleaner Fluid (30mL)
    • 2 ball bearings (For HP 51640 Printers)
    • 1 centimetre of plastic tube (For HP 51640 Printers)
    • 1 hand-held drilling device
    • 1 dirty big syringe!
    • 1 Instruction manual
    • Multiple white patches

On each bottle of fluid, it is clearly stated that the ink makers are in no way affiliated with the companies within the booklet, and that the inks are in no way endorsed or supported and recommended by the companies. Fair enough. It also has some fairly basic guidlines, such as "If you get ink in your eyes, do not pour metho, it will cause discoloration of your eyes!" Well, maybe it just says avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothes.

In the front of the intruction bullet, the table of contents is quite clear in stating which pinters are compatible, and what page to go to to get the right method. I did not see my printer in there, so I decided I need not do it their way, and reassured myself that they were only "guidelines".

The task is quite easy really. Just open the bottle cap, stab a hole through with the syringe, and extract some of the ink into the syringe, 2mL at a time. (To be safe.) Once done, grab your ink, and allow drops to fall on the pad at the bottom of the ink tank. Mine sucked them up rather quickly. Do that until you get bored, or until 6mL (TO BE SAFE!!!) has gone in. That's it!

Now, you will notice that if you have one of those awesome printers that have the heads on the ink tanks, this solution might not be for you. Whilst I am sure there is some way to do it, I personally DO NOT CONDONE THE USE OF THIS IN GOOD PRINTERS!

Pictures!

Now, I could lie and tell you how surprising the results were, but I will let you decide for yourself. Each sample is labelled and has been scanned at 1200DPi in me good ol' CanoScan N650U.

Samples:
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Equipment:
    [​IMG]

The items primarily involved

[​IMG]

The bottle and syringe (note the cover on the bottle)

[​IMG]

You can sort of see here that the ink is a dark purple-come-blue colour, as opposed to the greeny blue you see from cheap inks.

[​IMG]

All the bits included.

Now, this is a product made in an unspecified location for a Queensland based company using American Inks. Multicultural Inks!

So, I have to conclude that the process was easy, and the inks are fairly good, and believe me, those samples bring out the WORST in anything! I know, as I compared those with the Canon genuine inks, and in the pictures, they both look pretty ordinary. :p

Pros:
    • Good price
    • Good inks
    • pretty compatible
    • decent amount of ink
    • exceptional quality
    • keeps for at least 5 years :p

Cons:
    • Not suitable to ink tanks with integrated heads
    • vendor disclaims any rights or responsibility
    • box is flimsy

Overall: 8/10 :thumbup: :)

2. MAXKNOTT

MAXKNOTT Member

nice review :thumbup: ,
    for me, i don't see the point in using refills, when i can get a set of
    6 callidad inks for my epson R310 for $40.(tandy and dick smith)
    i have tried a few different brands, and to my eye they weren't that different.
    apart from officeworks brand, they are aweful

3. OP
    OP
    lagmaster

lagmaster Member

Thanks! :) I originally bought this kit becuase the Calidad Inks were harming the quality of my Canon BJC-3000. Eventually the head siezed and it was cheaper to replace the whole printer, so I did. :)

But I payed 7 dollars for the Calidad, and 13 dollars for the Canon, but until I HAD to buy a Canon one day, I never realised that genuine Inks are MUCH better, and worth the money. But it was too late. :(

That's where these inks win with me so far. The quality is really good, basically the same. But, we will however see when it comes time to do the colour inks!

Please, more comments, suggestions and cheerful banter is welcome!

4. brokenback

brokenback Member

lagmaster, thanks for the review, a few questions though. The IP1000 uses the BCI24Bk and BCI24C tanks.

I suppose that is that black is the BCI24Bk and this is std photo black, not pigment black. Pigment black is a non bleeding black that gives sharper text but poor photo resolution prints, aka it doesn't bleed as much as non-pigment.

Your pic shows 5 refill bottles and a cleaner bottle. Is this right? Does the IP 1000 us the extra pigment black?

Your scans seem to show that it isn't using pigment black, the text bleeds a bit.

But still, it's well done, just a little clarificationas some people don't know the difference between pigment and non-pigment blacks. Once again well done, keep up the good show. :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    lagmaster

lagmaster Member

Thanks for your feedback!

Well, the refill bottles are basically labelled as "Ink", so whether it is pigment or photo is up to the trained eye. The comparison between the refill ink and the Canon ink does show a slightly smaller amount of bleed on the refill printout, so I have reason to believe that the Canon black ink (BCI24Bk) is non pigment ink, and research seems to confirm this. The refill ink has some sort of viscosity control agent added, perhaps this forms the misleading illusion that it is non-pigment also?

Please tell me if I have answered your question completely, I am not a printer genious. :)

Oh, and if others are interested, tomorrow I will put up the scans of the Canon inks. :)

6. brokenback

brokenback Member

I was curious as to the black inks. One pic shows 6 bottles, 3 colour, 1 cleaning so i can only guess 2 black which i thought one was pigment one was not???

Anyway, pigment ink has a dye that allows it to give great definition, aka, black sharp text prints, but poor photo prints. It's too sharp and you get banding and not enough bleed in photo prints.

I use a canon MP760 and it uses 2 blacks, one pigment, one not.

I was really only asking if the printer uses both inks?? Curious no more :)

Keep up the good work.

7. OP
    OP
    lagmaster

lagmaster Member

Oh sorry, no I see wha you mean. It's just that black was used more, so I got a couple of extra bottles. :p They're the same. :lol:

8. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

I find aftermarket non genuine inks (I have only ever tried black), tend to "bleed" over any coloured ink they are printed onto.

Anyone else get this?

They are great for black/grey only printing tho.

9. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Before I begin, let it be known that I fucking hate the yellow sticker...

One of my lesser roles at work is that of a printer technician. (I work on around 10 - 15 printers a week) everything from entry level canon bubblejets to Lexmark inkjets (we're actually a service agent) to production xerox digital copiers and colour production machines (again, service agent) - I've even had some experience with Tektronics Phaser printers (yuk) & Mimana production solvent jets (essentially an A0 (think of 8 A4 sheets side by side and you have A0 width) epson inkjet - same vacuum technology). Anyhow...

I can say with 100% honesty that 4 / 5 consumer printers that enter our workshop are there as a direct result of refilled cartridges -

1) When the ink head is built into the print cartridge - this ink head is designed to last as long as the ink in the cartridge - if the printer suddendly refuses to print anymore and throws up a weird error - your refilled cartridges are to blame - don't bring the thing into me for warranty repairs thinking
    a) I won't charge you a quote fee - because I will;
    b) I won't void your printer warranty - because I will; I really don't give a fuck what *insert name of cartridge remanufacturing company* said.

2) Same goes with Drums in Laser/LED printers - they're designed to last the length of the toner - for that matter the cleaning blade and in some cases the cyrotron wires are only designed to last this long also - refilling the toner will do nothing but give you copy quality issues soon after you refill the toner (you might get a good run out of the drum though - depending on the coverage you use)

3) I don't know what makes customers think I'm going to cover cleaning leaked ink out of a machine under warranty. That's strike three - refilled cartridges leak, I know they leak, because the shit is fucking difficult to get off your hands after you spend 2 hours disassembling a machine to clean it.

4) The waxed based non-genuine inks available from a "well known cartridge supplier" for the phaser series of printers is known to clog and distroy the print head. That's a $2500 replacement part. Nice saving there :thumbup:

I can't think of any other whinges at the moment :) Some people love refilled carts and never have a problem with them - I daily have to deal with the people that do have problems with them - I'll never use them in my epson 310 printer.

10. rdamage

rdamage Member

Nice review. I bought one of these kits years ago for a cheapo Canon BJ something or other, it was too messy for my liking so I ended up chucking it along with the printer.

The current printer I have is a Canon MP370 uses the BCI24 cartridges which can be had on ebay for about $2 each if bought in bulk.
    My observations with the generic ink tanks (some brands are far better than others) vs the genuines is that hey don't last as long and the colours are not great for photo printing. Seeing as I only print on standard A4 paper these days you can't complain at $2 a pop. Also, haven't had any reliability issues with the printer in the 2 years I've used generic ink tanks.

rd

11. brokenback

brokenback Member

madhatter, I have had nothing but trouble re-filling carts that had heads built in but std non-head tanks are easy to re-fill. I don't know about the newer canon BCI carts but the old ones you could pop off the top cover and remove the tank and fill it on, thus no air locks.

I had a HP 930 that had inbuilt heads. Never again, it printed well on OEM ink but impossible to re-fill properly.

I’ve had many problems but have never damaged a printer. The leaking is the users doing a large amount of cleaning cycles to try to fix print problems. More than likely you are seeing printers because the users do not know what they are doing and end up with air locks, dry heads, burn't out heads, yada yada.

I re-fill because the ink the OEMs sell is more expensive than Bollinger champagne.

P.S Windex revoves ink. :D

12. mcgeeyencken

mcgeeyencken Member

Has anybody had any experience with any of the CIS print systems - the Continuous Ink Systems for inkjet printers? Where you have a large bottle of ink hooked up directly to the cartridge via a tube.

I'm in the market for an A3 inkjet with an affordable ink solution - looking to spend about $1200 all up.

13. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

you clowns

you really think this is a good idea --

i fix these things for a living ( i know poor me )
    but i will assure you 85% of repairs and write-offs are due
    to these crappy inks -- they will kill you r printer
    especially canon - 780's these cost around $300
    for the replacement components to fix what the crappy inks
    will stuff

b warned

14. tizeyboy

tizeyboy Member

I'm running a Canon Pixma 3000 or something for just over 18months, still on the original cartridges the printer came with. I've gone through 2 bottles of black ink, and a full set of colour bottles.

Couldn't be easier to refill, and if my mums i500 is anything to go by, it will be good for years to come. She's been refilling hers for about 4-5 years, without any troubles that have been listed in this thread. If it dies - the printers done its job, and neither of us will have any dramas replacing it.

Granted, its a $200 printer. I think if i'd spent substantial money on a printer i'd think twice about refilling ink, but for what I need the printer to do (lecture notes, assignments, light photo work), why would I?

15. auslagger

auslagger Member

so tell me how about.. buying the generic branded catridges...?? same problem???

16. keeni

keeni Member

I work for a canon repair center and I work on atleast 15 or so printers a day. And I can certainly notice the difference between genuine inks and the 3rd party ones. I find the 3rd party inks to be dull and no where near as vivid. And occasionly I find the colours are no where near that of genuine canon inks making the colour reproduction poor

And thats my 2c...

17. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

officeworks carts have been recomended to me

but i still wouldnt put them in an expensive printer

18. Soulblade2

Soulblade2 Member

I'm a service tech for copiers, etc.

My favourite quote: "You'll need a drum rebuild" That's drum, dcb and dev... $$$ lol