[REVIEW] Lian Li Q08B Mini-ITX case

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Zedd02, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

Hi all,

First review, and its of the Lian Li Q08B, a mini ITX case with space for 6 (read SIX) HDDs and a full ATX power supply.

Note: Time stamps are incorrect.

Click to view full size!

Lian Li, known for their prestige and aluminum cases, are also known for their high prices. Thus, the Q08B is a surprise, being merely $160pp. This also leads it to being a great case for mini installs. The Q08B is a great case for mini servers.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

As can be seen, the case is quite pokey, but is also relatively easy to get around in. The top HDD cage is fairly awesome, with the cage being very easy to remove, using the single thumb screw in the picture above. The bottom cage (holds 2 HDDS) is much less awesome, requiring you to remove screws from the bottom of the case. Once removed, HDDs are installed using short topped thumb screws and the rubber grommets, which I used/lost and have no spares to photograph. It's a brilliantly simple system that should be implemented more often. As can also be seen, there are two fans inside this case to improve air-flow, quite a step up from the Q07B.

There are quite a few secrets to this case, in some surprising ways. UNDER the DVD drive, but in the DVD drive area, is a mounting point for a 2.5" drive, which can be installed with the DVD drive. Quite an awesome feature, though SSD-only would be my recommendation as there is no breathing room. Installing the DVD drive is accomplished by removing the whole area with two simple screws. These get hidden by the case sides once the sides are replaced.

Click to view full size!

With the motherboard and HDDs/DVD drive installed, the ubiquity of the case can be seen. The space is quite cramped with the power supply and I can't show much if I take a picture of it with the power supply installed. Below is a picture from the other side, and as can be seen, there isn't much space once you get it all installed. There is a fair bit of problem with cabling in this case, simply because of the space requirements. Other then that, the case is pretty awesome for a small server, and is relatively quiet provided the CPU fan doesn't need to get too fast.

The two cords that go crazy from the front of the case to the back, are USB3 cables, allowing you to have USB3 at the front of the case. It also connects to a USB2 header if you don't want them poking out the back. All the front panel connectors are simple and work effectively, just like always. Both fans use 3-pin connectors and molex adaptors. The front fan has blue LEDs too. Yay. :rolleyes:

Click to view full size!

Final Score:

Aesthetics - 8 - Very simple and clean Lian Li
    Features - 8 - Back panel is a bit annoying, small features missing
    Install time - 6 - There is a lot of possible stuffing around with this case
    Cost - 9 - $160pp for a great Lian Li case is pretty good

Overall - 7.75 - Recommended, but not perfect.

Can I get some feedback on my review please, I'd like to do this more often, but I don't know whether people will like my reviews.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

Final Score:

Aesthetics - 6 - need more light in your pics, try a few pro tips like shoot outside and use the timer and a tripod/put cam on something to get clean shots
    :thumbup:

Features - 10 - featues and info copy/pasted from website is the suck (company history ffs!!! :rolleyes: )
    Secrets and hands on real world tips FTW! :thumbup:

Install time - 7 - TLDR, jk, maybe break the txt up a bit more with pics, the paragraphs are already small, but ppl who care about pc hardware dont care much about "readin" :rolleyes: they prefer to look at pretty pictures....ooohhhh aaaahhh :D

Cost - 10 - bargain at twice the price!

Overall - 9 - Recommended, but not perfect.
    win :thumbup:

check out Dan's Data for how to be pro and improve your leet pwning skilz!

edit: i can see you have taken care not to re-use the same words over and over, ...and over
    :thumbup:
    only one that stands out is "great" twice in 2nd para, you could easily merge those 2 sentences into 1. :) it appears to be a minor editing derp. :p

edit edit: the usb3 plug/usb2 header is win! close up?
    i came here thinking it was a FS thread :mad: :lol:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  3. Little Man

Little Man Member

If you're going to do reviews, you really need to take some proper photos.
    All of these photos are out of focus.

4. OP
    OP
    Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

The photos are a bit dodge, simply because I'm using a very generic 7MP camera. I don't have to funds to buy a proper camera currently, even though I'd really like to. I did need to do some more prep, yes. That is something I will keep in mind for next time.

Are the pictures really the only problem with the review? Or were there other stand-out problems. I buy a lot of hardware, so reviewing it may be useful for the community; Yes/No?

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

The whole trick to photography is not the camera or the photographer. It's the lighting. Take your photo in a well lit area, not too bright, you don't want to blow any highlights. As long as it's well lit, the photos will be fine regardless of camera or photographer.

6. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Other then that, the case is pretty awesome for a small server, and is relatively quite provided the CPU fan doesn't need to get too fast.

Really?

7. Smegger

Smegger Member

Alrighty then.
    You said "There are quite a few secrets to this case, in some surprising ways", then you gave us one. We want more secrets. Perhaps there are more in the case?
    ..."is much less awesome" It's awesome, or it isn't.
    ..."Other then that" No, just no. THAN dammit!
    Also, ubiquity....is the case really everywhere?

These are, to me, the worst of your transgressions. Remember if you want to write reviews, your tool is the text.
    Also, as others have said, spend more time on the photo's. Better lighting and a tripod/stand/crate/box/books will improve them vastly. Lighting doesn't need to be anything flash(sorry) sometimes just changing locations can make a huge difference.

Carry on.

8. Little Man

Little Man Member

Yeah have to agree with the above, you need to use far more complex and compelling language to grasp the interest of the reader; some the English you've used is, very basic to say at the least.

Is a typical example.
    Phrases like "pretty awesome" and "get too fast" aren't exactly what you want to read from a review.

Theres nothing wrong with a cheap camera, i use a 9MP $100 point and shoot camera from office works and i take some nice photos when using natural light.
    Photos ars 75% of the review, without it you're looking at a wall of text which i know i hardly read anyway unless im really looking for specific information.

9. yoink

yoink Member

How bright is the blue fan light, and can it be turned off or at least down?

10. OP
    OP
    Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll work on my reviewing language for my next few reviews. I've got some interesting hardware coming (mainly older stuff, no SB yet). Whenever I get a chance to use that, I'll review it and ask if I've improved. Thanks for the criticism. I probably did use a bit of childish language really, but that was cause I wrote the review at 12AM. Probably not the best procedural step ever.

The blue fan is relatively bright and it doesn't have brightness control. It isn't distracting if it's not in your face. It can light a small room though.

11. barit

barit Member

Nice writeup, like the other lads have said some steadier pictures would have made a huge difference.

When you have everything running what kind of temps are you getting? Would be a little worried about that disk stack if it was left on for a few days.

12. OP
    OP
    Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

It actually only gets to about 40C, most of the HDDs are about 35C. So there isn't much to worry about in terms of heat.