[review] Sony E340 (16GB mp3 player)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Davo1111, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

Disclosure: i'm 100% against apple after I bought the piece of junk 5th generation ipod nano

ok, so review time

There seems to be limited reviews on the internet about this mp3 player, and i thought i'd give my 2 cents. Anything but ipod gives a detailed review about the product, but after owning it for a few months. I figured i'll provide some information regarding extended use.

The Sony E-340 is a nimble mp3 player designed to rvial the ipod nano (5th gen) with its 16GB capactity, and 2" screen.

Images of product

front of sony

unexciting backside.

Side of product
    (side with no buttons)

Right side
    - with hold and volume

Feature Sony Nano (5th gen)
    Capacity 4/8/16 8/16
    Screen 2" 2.2"
    Radio yes yes
    Res. 320x240 376 x 240
    Price: $150 $270

Interface
    • The scroll wheel from the nano has been replaced by 4 directional arrows, and there is now a options and home button forming a “micky mouse” style button design.
    • On the side there is a hold button and an up and down volume buttons.

Positives
    • Battery life is amazing, when i was using the nano, i was so angry that the battery couldn't even last 1/6th of the advertised spec. I’ve taken this out for day trips, without a charge, and not even worried about the battery
    • The random function is actually random. When i click shuffle, i don’t find the same series of songs in a row. Unlike the shuffle where i could predict the entire “random” playlist.
    • You can view your music by the folders you dragged onto the shuffle. For example if you dragged a new album, you can view music/folders/album name.
    • You can drag and drop any files onto the device, it’s just like a mass storage device. I was sick to death of itunes crapware bloating my computer. With the sony, i just plug it in, drag and drop the files i want. I can do it from any computer.
    • I can charge (and access) the device via micro USB, a standard plug. No irritating 3rd party connections, i just use the nearest micro usb cable available. All of my usb hubs, portable hard drives, and my mobile phone all use the micro usb cord, so i have plenty of opportunities to charge/access the device.
    • The clock function is easily accessible, has a icon on the home screen, and you can allow it to always appear on the “now playing” screen
    • Buttons are actually big, so even with my fat hand, i can easily lock, change the volume or navigate with the screens. The buttons are ‘clicky’ so you get instant feedback if the button has been pressed.
    • FM radio transmitter, does not use alot of battery. Allows you to scroll through frequencies manually (or automatically). You can also add presets on the fly.
    • You can actually turn the device off, properly, not some sleep mode.

Neutral
    No shake the shuffle, which was both annoying and useful of the shuffle. If only we could adjust the sensitivity of the shake function. The shake function would generally work when in my pants pocket, which was particularly annoying.
    Has a little lanyard hole. If you’re one of those people who like dream catchers and hello kitty keychains hanging from your electronic products, this is great for you.

Negatives
    • User interface is no where near as good as the ipod nano. There is no ‘add to favourites’ function.
    • Add to wishlist is totally useless, there is no way to export the ‘wishlist’ data. Apparently Sony was going to make a music store where you could purchase (again?) the music on your mp3 player, but that fell through.
    • Slightly bulkier than the nano in size.
    • No AM radio function. Only FM is available
    • Gloss plastic gets tiny scratches, but so do most electronic goods these days.

Summary
    • Its a bomb proof design, and i'm very happy with it. However, the user interface is a major drawback, particularly since I can't add songs to a playlist on the fly, however, on the most part the “folders” function overrides this. The battery life exceeds the low expectations my ipod gave, so overall i'm satisfied.

• [*]Any question please email or pm me. However, i'd rather you ask on the forum

Where i bought it. link
    Anything but ipod.com review link

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. OP
    OP
    Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

reserved for updates

3. junglist

junglist Member

Maybe some comparisons to the latest generation nano would be more useful.

4. OP
    OP
    Davo1111

Davo1111 Member