Review: Super Works Rotary Tool

Discussion in 'Modding' started by slamaa, Dec 9, 2007.

1. slamaa

slamaa Member

Review: Super Works Rotary Tool Kit

Lately there has been a lot of discussion about rotary tools and what brand to get. So today I will be looking at one of the cheaper rotary tools on the market, the Super Works Rotary tool kit made by Super Cheap Auto. The Tool retails for $29.99 and comes with a whole tool kit.

Whats in the box?

Lets get started and take a look at the packaging and whats in the box. It comes in a small tool box / carry case which contains the tool itself, the snake shaft, the stand and all the accessories.

[​IMG]

the snake shaft is very flexible and can be fitted into the rotary tool just as you would fit a normal drill but etc.

[​IMG]

The stand comes in two pieces which consists of the stand shaft and the clam which the shaft screws into. This can be mounted to a workbench so the rotary tool can be easily accessed.

[​IMG]

The kit also contains the information booklet, the 2 year warranty forms and all the accessories and bits.

[​IMG]

Included in the kit are about 15 cut of discs but no reinforced discs are included.

The Tool.

[​IMG]

The Tool itself is made from a a black tough feeling plastic and has 6 different speeds which can adjusted using the speed dial. The speeds range from 15,000RPM to 35,500RPM and runs on 135watts.

[​IMG]

The tool contains a simple on/off flick switch which is located opposite to the speed dial.

[​IMG]

The Rotary tool chuck works exactly the same as a drill, just loosen it, place the bit inside and then fasten the chuck using the included spanner.

[​IMG]

The tool is compatible with many different tools from other brands such as the cut of discs made by Dremel.
    Pictured below is the Dremel cut off disc in the Super Works rotary tool.

[​IMG]

Conclusion.

For the 30 dollar price tag and everything included in this kit it is a great deal. With the two year warranty even if you do brake the tool you can just bring it back to super cheap auto and get a new one. Putting the tool trough it's paces I have used it to cut light metals such as low gauge aluminum and thick copper as well and perspex and wood and the tool didn't struggle one bit.

I would recommend this tool for anyone who wants to begin modding and does not have any other tools or those who just want a rotary tool.

I give this product a 9/10 as the first half hour of use there was a slight vibration in the tool which has stopped since.

*WHEN USING POWER TOOLS ESPECIALLY HIGH SPEED ROTARY TOOLS ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES*

cheers
    Slamaa

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. hobo man

hobo man Member

At the risk of calling it to early - BEST REVIEW EVER :p

:)

Eagerly awaiting a finished result :)

3. OP
    OP
    slamaa

slamaa Member

Finished & BUMP

4. MK1

MK1 New Member

Yep

Thats what I got after my Einhell rotary tool broke the brush in the motor ..

Some thing to keep in mind , this Super Works rotary tool comes with spare brushes , just in case you break one @ 30,000RPM

Mine had a small vibration in it , but after 20 minutes of polishing at around 10,000 RPM the vibration vanished ...

Yep , wear eye protection , cos you wont see it comin till its way too late ..
    Be it the little rotary brushes , which blow a bristle off every 30 seconds or so , to the cutting tools/disks which can literally blow up @ 30,000RPM like mini hand grenades :upset: , last thing you want to do is to use your eyes as a back stop .....:leet:

Have fun , for $30 these tools rock ....

:thumbup:

5. poozor

poozor Member

great for its price, mine lasted 2 years.

6. skid

skid Member

Can I use this tool to cut 0.5mm steel?

Thanks heaps for this review. Valuable info.

7. K3nii

K3nii (Banned or Deleted)

this is nice :) might consider getting one for light modding

8. OP
    OP
    slamaa

slamaa Member

Steel would be fine, just use a cut off disc and the tool at full speed, dont forget safety glasses.

9. MiloVasic

MiloVasic Member

For an FYI this one looks effectively identical to the Ozito one available from all good bunnings stores :p

10. DarkLanDeamon

DarkLanDeamon Member

Yeh i work at super cheap and i thought to myself lets see how crap these are. Hooked it up turned it on. Hmm it's spins pretty fast i wonder if it would scratch my finger. 1 second later my finger is spurting blood and im thinking to myself what can i cut next. After putting a bandaid on to stop the blood running everywere. I got the tool and tried it on the top of the PC case. It cut right thrue. Overall i think i shall buy it but use protection after seeing my finger and pc case :D

11. MK1

MK1 New Member

Yep

Id say same manufacturer , Different Labels [ Brands ]

:Pirate:

12. In2nEt

In2nEt Member

This is what i use have cut metal,perspex,plastic ect Its great. I bought one and took it home and turned it on and it blew. So i went back and got another one and its been perfect. I would recommend them

13. dfrag90

dfrag90 Member

Nice review there Slamma! I am thinking of getting a dremel, for case modding purposes, but this might suffice :) thanks for the heads up!

14. Scotty1991

Scotty1991 (Banned or Deleted)

Great review, ill be getting one soon enough.

15. SleepingBear

SleepingBear Member

Good review thanks. Made my decision a bit easier. Now to start cutting holes in my antec sonata case :)

16. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

i have broken one with in 6 months of very light use, and bought another (no receipt)
    so i obviously dont hate it enough to not buy again :p

17. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

I want to have an attempt at modding my Antec 900. At the moment there are just cables shoved in there, and it not only looks horrendous, but is preventing a lot of airflow.

I'd like to have a go at cutting out certain parts of the motherboard tray part to run the cables all along the back of the case, would a tool like this typically be the best option for doing this?

18. OP
    OP
    slamaa

slamaa Member

Yes you could use a rotary tool or you could use a drill with a hole saw on it to make holes for your cables in your mobo tray.

19. sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

my mate bought a supercrap rotary tool, 3 weeks and it deaded....

Now...is it the tool or the person using the tool?

Its a rotary tool, u cant play god with it, they dont work that way, you gotta guide it not force it.

Personal preference.....I waited 2 yrs for a dremel, made by dremel, ive used it on every mod ive ever done and after 4 years it still helping me mod.

So super crap or expensive.....makes no differnce, the difference is made by the person using it.

20. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

Opps, its break :)