Revisiting old titles - how do they hold up?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Sep 1, 2014.

1. power

power Member

So I've been on a bit of a nostalgia dive of late clearing out oldies that I've previously bought and never finished, this weekend gone I knocked Beyond Good & Evil over the head and tbh while I feel it's dated gameplay is reminiscent of the time the general mechanics held up fairly well, I mean don't get me wrong it felt like an old game but the general playability is still there which I was glad for :)

So I thought, I'll move on to something else hiding in my collection KOTOR - wow what letdown this game is, sluggish and tedious (my opinion) and did not continue the game and doubt I ever will.

There are others I've gone back to as well like Baldur's Gate and the amazing Planescape Torment the general mechanics hold up and that to me makes them timeless.

So what games have you played lately that you have opinions on like mine or disagree with for that matter.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. sardines

sardines Member

I have been playing a few old games --
    Amiga- they seem to hold up ok --mega lo-mania, beneath the steel sky, Cannon Fodder, wings and Moonstone are still fun, Lucasarts games
    C64 - classics like Wizball, Druid, Impossible mission, IK+ sort of hold up just because of great gameplay and originality where there is nothing that can replace it but others very hard to get over graphic limitations and slowness
    PC -- Old dos games are hit and miss - I suppose even great innovations there are newer games that do it better and graphically nicer despite the nostalgia kick –
    Carmageddon – holds up sort of but slow and limited
    Dune 2 – too slow
    Civilization 1 – later ones offer so much more
    Alone in the Dark – too slow
    System Shock 2- Good story but frustrating gameplay

3. HeXa

HeXa Member

ignoring the fact that I don't consider 10-15 year old games to be retro... I don't have a lot of gaming time, so creating new experiences is a lot more important to me.

I purposely don't replay games that I played and enjoyed as a child (25-30 years ago) because I don't want to tarnish those memories. My expectations of games are very different now and it isn't fair to compare different generations.

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I'm more looking along the lines of stuff you never got to play/finish.

I agree with most of what sardines has said on the types of games that hold up gameplay wise.

A couple of other older games I'm hitting are Shadow of The Colossus and ICO, which are both suffering from their older mechanics but like BG&E are still playable.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  5. claf-43

claf-43 Member

The only classics from my childhood that don't seem to have dated all that much are Super Mario World, Super Metroid (my all time fav) and Mario 64. Could probably add the original Mario Bros for NES too,

C&C and Red Alert, Goldeneye (sob), Mario Kart(s) among others all feel awful nowadays unfortunately. The 64 controller in general can take some getting hang of.

6. HeXa

HeXa Member

I played a LOT of games since I was 5 and was active in the 90s emu scene :p

I'm a serial non-finisher as well :Paranoid:

7. macplus

macplus Member

I enjoyed recently playing some old text based adventure games on the Apple II such as Zork and Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Still pretty cool to play these on an old green screen monitor and speed doesn't really matter.

8. sardines

sardines Member

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I have a thread for you. :)

Text adventures on a green monitor - now that's retro!

10. adz

adz Member

Flight sims seem to hold up the worst for me, what seemed great on the 64 at the time, come across as unplayable compared with modern titles when you try and play them now.

11. HeXa

HeXa Member

didn't want to link my Steam profile and the 300+ games with 0-5 hours gametime :lol:

I like a good old school RPG, so rather than pull of Eye of the Beholder, I played Legend of Grimrock

currently on Skyrim and my desire to do all the quests is killing me :tongue:

I was a green/orange screen kid as well - would love a remake of Alleycat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Cat_(video_game)

EDIT: oooo... http://asetgames.altervista.org/alleycat2.html

and lol @ this -> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/alley-cat-game

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

damn, Alley Cat - that takes me back. I remember playing that on my Atari 800XL.

13. grommet80

grommet80 Member

I played som of the Police/Space quest games just recently, they were still fun.

14. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Is it counted a revisiting an old title if it's using an essentially overhauled engine to throw all the eye-candy and modern visuals but the game play is identical to that of the original?

Case in point: Quake 'Epsilon' build.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1000311

15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I think so, the game mechanics remain the same - that's why I mentioned ICO and Shadow of the Colossus as well.

16. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Alleycat, now that takes me back.
    Spent probably many hundreds of hours thrashing the C64 years ago.

17. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I love the old Scumm engine games. Zac McCrackin And The Alien Mindbenders and Maniac Mansion are two games I'm really getting back into.

The graphics aren't the best, but trying to remember what to do and the tongue in cheek Lol bits bring back some great memories.

18. Krumm

Krumm Member

I can tell I'm getting old and cranky when I've spent the last half hour making a giant post about all the little annoyances of some games but suffice to say some games definitely hold up better than others.

19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Probably one of the very first games I played on my XT. :thumbup: That and Sopwith got played to death.

There's actually a nice playable remake here: http://www.sopwith.org/

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

old man rants are more than welcome in the retro part of the forum :D