rFactor

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Agg, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Righto, this is the "official" thread for discussing rFactor, a racing sim with many tracks and cars available for download from rFactorCentral. It's non-free, costing about $55 AUD to register and unlock the full game.

I downloaded it a week or so ago and have been getting into it. Driving an F1GP car around Mt Panorama is something pretty special. :) But I'm having trouble finding servers that aren't locked, run game types I'm interested in and don't time out when I try to connect.

Anyone else playing it? I've made this as a split off this thread which discusses a few games including rFactor.

2. mute

mute Member

Yeah i bought this last week as well, loving the V8factor mod

Whats the deal with all the locked servers though?

3. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

The V8's just handle so badly compared to the F1 cars, and the rF3 cars, and superkarts etc. :) So I'm finding it hard to get into driving them. Dunno about the locked ones, seems weird to lock a server with nobody in it.

4. mute

mute Member

Where's your australian pride?? ;)

I've got a feeling that you have to sign up to one of those sim racing clubs like aus sim racing or whatever its called, although when I played live for speed there were much more public servers around, hosted by gamearena and the like

I haven't really played the game that much as it's kinda hard with the keyboard. Waiting for my wheel to arrive then i'm gonna be very addicted :)

5. rewtcaa

rewtcaa Member

I'm thinking about buying it. Time to move on from F1C and see what else is out there. So you guys would say it's worth the money? Seems like it's only going to get better :)

6. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I used to be an avid F1C fan until I tried R-Factor....Bought it and now Im hooked.

So many mods to chose from...the V8's and F1-2005 the best of the bunch!

7. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I'd say yes, but you REALLY need a wheel. It's pretty much undriveable with keyboard, especially when most of the servers don't allow any driver aids (some allow traction control). But the "on/off" throttle that keyboard gives you means you won't even get off the line in an F1 car. :)

8. Paul.R1

Paul.R1 Member

the main reason for locked servers is mainly for private leagues, or a group of ppl that do not want tards infesting the server (ie driving backwards, cheating, deliberate crashing in to others etc).

I know there are a few public servers, just need to pick the right time of day when there populated.

If you got ADSL 2.. you should think about hosting ya own server :) and let them come to you.

If i had ADSL 2 i would definately do it (but only optus cable so not enough upstream bandwidth)

9. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Actually, I was thinking last night about how I haven't seen ANY tard behaviour in rFactor. The only bad things I've seen have been people recklessly entering the circuit from pit lane, passing too aggressively or ignoring blue flags.. all of which happens on the real racetrack too so I just consider it part of the simulation. :) But your point is fair enough, and no doubt that'll become an issue as the game becomes more popular.

10. Olle_34

Olle_34 Member

Hehe you cleaned off all those concrete scrapes yet ? just need a bit of throttle control with the V8's m8,its a real sim unlike some other arcade thingos that claim to be a sim :) take some getting used to but well worth the effort IMO,nothing like the feeling of getting every corner at Bathurst right i'd imagine,not sure though as i still aint done it lol

11. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

12. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Doing 2:12's.....have shaved about 3 seconds since getting the new G25 wheel.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

sweet (u probably meant 2.12). i started off with high 2.17/2.18 now doing mid 2.14 just from practice. aiming with 2.10's, i'll be happy with those times, need more practice.

14. Paul.R1

Paul.R1 Member

the other nite we were racing meganes on the canadian f1 track, and some tard started driving in to oncoming vechiles.. i was running 2nd as well :(, he took out about a dozen ppl

15. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

musta been unlucky. i believe the game will automatically disqualify you from server if you go the "wrong way" for too long. tested this on an empty server it took roughly 10 seconds before i got DQ. not sure if the config is server specific.

lucky not too many wankers are around, and if they are, you can always ban a vote and people generally will follow if it's a genuine request.

16. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

It disqualifies and fines you, but does it STOP you from doing it? IE, forcibly return you to the pits? I got lost down an access road at one circuit and got DQ and fined, but it let me keep driving. Maybe they need to disable your car or return you to the pits if you do really dumb things to annoy other players.

17. yorky

yorky Member

I've done several 2:12's now but seem to make at least one mistake each lap and getting around 2:15. You really have to nail every corner or else your time goes to crap...

I'm using a setup that is claimed to do 2:09 I think but man its touchy. Was one I got off the site.

I seem to have issues after a few laps of good laps, i seem to toast the tyres a bit, after about 3 laps if I gun it like normal it will easily spin yet no real oversteer. Do these things have LSD's in em?

18. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

LSD's...NO.........LCD's Yes.

(I think there is an anti drug law associated with V8 racing).....lol

19. yorky

yorky Member

I mean like a rear diff lock ;)

20. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Ahh Limited Slip Diff......lol......I dunno!