1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

RGB led questions

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by ArmoureD, May 9, 2020.

1. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Gday gurus.

My car has RGB ambient lighting in the footwells that is controlled via the instrument panel in the settings.

The leds appear to be single chip 5050 modules per footwell, soldered onto a small pcb and driven off some control module somewhere. 4 wires connect to the pcb.

On testing, I have determined that these are common cathode, and the PWM is +12v to each colour.

I'd like to increase the brightness and possibly add aditional ones under the seats etc but I cannot find 12v common cathode led strips anywhere for some strange reason, so I've decided to build my own using 10mm common cathode RGB leds and suitable current limiting resistors.

My question; how will I know if the existing control module can handle an aditional 20 leds (20mA ea colour, 60mA potentally per LED).

Thanks

2. _zak

_zak Member

Without knowing more about the actual controller (is there any way to work out where it is?), it's very difficult to say. How many LEDs is the controller currently running? Do you have any idea how much current they're drawing?

3. OP
    OP
    ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Thanksfor the reply mate.

The controller is driving 6x 5050 leds.

As for the location, no idea. It may be built into a body control module somewhere under the dash.

4. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

What model/year is your car?

5. OP
    OP
    ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

2019 mustang.