1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

RGB LED with Phanteks and Gigabyte Mobos

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ][ XpLoiT ][, Jul 3, 2019.

1. ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

Hi Guys,
    I just logged in and saw i have a "15 year award" wow!

well, i have jumped back into getting my own build (specifically for VR but that's beside the point) and have purchased a Phanteks P350X Tempered Glass D-RGB Black Case (link) and a Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Motherboard (link).

I have everything connected correctly (to some degree) as i have the side of the case where it has a LED light in it, working correctly but displaying the wrong colors (eg when i select red, it displays free, green is blue, and blue is red).

I do not have the "front" leds (nor one on the power button and/or hdd activity, but not sure if it has one in this case) working. I can only presume that the Gigabyte RGB controller thing, isnt compatible with the Phanteks LED strips.

My assumption is the case is "asus aura sync" and "msi mystic light sync" compatible, but not "Gigabyte RGB Fusion" compatible.

On the case, there is a cable that needs to be connected to Digital RGB header on the mother board (step 4 - of manual link here)

This jumper is connected to D_LED1 (page 5 of manual link) and i have also tried on D_LED2. Both of these are set to 5v as per the case manual.

I have completed my build and done all bios and the updates etc, but this didnt help. The Gigabyte software does allow me to change the color of the side LED as mentioned above - incorrectly.

Is there any way to make this work on both SIDE AND FRONT led's or is it purely non compatible?

Appreciate any help
    Dave.

2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

If it was the older 4 Wire RGB is would be easy to fix (Not that it would have been an issue anyway) . Not sure there is much you can do to fix with ARGB unless there is a softer fix.

maybe a separate USB RGB controller.

3. akromatic

akromatic Member

tbh all the digital RGB on mobo regardless of brand works the same. issue with gigabyte is that they didnt want to use the standard connector that everyone else uses.

what you need to do is figure out which is V D and G pins and match them with phanteks pin out. afaik phanteks also use a proprietary connector but it may come with an adaptor out of the box.

4. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

thanks guys, i also sent a support request to Phanteks and they have advised:

it only came through over night so i am yet to try it however i will tonight.

thank you - its 3 wire (the plug while is the size of a 4 wire, only 3 are used.

thats a good suggestion. If phantek advise doesnt work, i will go through the process of running a 5v circuit and see what pins do what and possibly independently jumper them.

5. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Would it be that simple? If you got the V, D and G mixed up it would just Pop or not work at all. 12V into Data, chips go boom or safety saves if . 12V into Ground, LEDs go Boom /Or reverse voltage resistance is high enough and nothing happens. Cant see how changing those wires would mix up colours.

With the 4 Pin connector there is 1 for 12V and a ground for for R, G and B. If you get the Power into the ground bad things might happen but otherwise its would just be mixed up colours.

6. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

not sure if it completely matters for the point above - but its a 5v (not 12) and it is the 3 pin plug, though the size of a 4 pin (but 1 of the pin holes is blanked out).

If i remember correctly there is an arrow which points to one of the pins (arguments sake pin 1) then a blank, then 2 pins. I believe pin 1 is "V" on the motherboard (but thats from memory not solid). the presumption that would be voltage.

7. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

12V and 5V while important the same would apply. If there are only 3 Pins, 5V, Ground and Data each has to be connected to its connector or it will not work at all. Cant see how it would produce the wrong colours at least from a physical connection perspective.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  8. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately the troubleshooting that Phantek provided didnt help (to be honest didnt think it did, i hardly saw the logic in removing any connection from the motherboard and expecting it to be able to be powered to reset itselff???? but anyway).

i can only assume something else is going on - cause everything is connected and all wires are going to their right spots :( according to manuals... i am going to go digging and see if any of the cables that came with the case are not seated and/or not plugged in.

9. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

just closing loop in case anyone else gets the same issue. they are RMA'ing the "control panel" on the case after working through a few emails back and forth for support.