Rice Cooker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by DrJK, Mar 13, 2021.

1. DrJK

DrJK Member

The most recent posts about this are from 2013 so I thought it reasonable to start a new thread asking for some recommendations. Part of my rationale for asking is that I recently bought this one from Woolworths since it was on special for $30 and holy fucking shitballs was it a massive piece of shit. I have a $10 one that I thought this one would be an upgrade from since it tends to overcook and sometimes burn the rice but this one just spat water everywhere for over half an hour. I read and reread the instructions and checked over everything to make sure it wasn't something I did wrong and was very careful with measurements so I'm pretty sure it's just that this thing was crap.

Anyway, I precook rice for later use every week so I'm wanting to invest in something reliable, easy to use and that isn't shit. Something that will last. I only use about half a cup (cooked) a day so don't need anything huge as I'd probably only need a 3 cup cooker if they come that small.

I've read a bit about these 'Tiger' ones but they seem like overpriced 'trendy' cookers that whilst they may be decent, are more about the bragging rights than the actual device. But I could be wrong so feel free to throw in some suggestions. I'd like to keep the price below $100 but judging by what I'm seeing online, it looks like I'll struggle to get anything decent under $150. Challenge accepted!

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

MR CHILLED and DrJK like this.
  3. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Not Asian here and cook rice multiple times a week up to 4 cups at a time and I wouldn't ever spend more than $50 on one. Current rice cooker is a 12 year old Breville we paid $39 for from Target and never had an issue with it. I don't even measure things, I just put the rice in, put the water in, turn it on and then walk away until it turns itself off. Plenty of times we use the tray that came with it to cook dim sims or lap cheong, even tried gyoza a few times but they are better in the pan.

4. mareke

mareke Member

I use a Contempo pressure cooker to cook rice. I bought it at Big W. I don't think they sell it anymore but there are plenty of other similar cookers. I paid around $80 for it. I've never had a problem with it. Choice rated it at 79% (see the link below) which isn't bad. I chuck the rice in and pour enough water in to just cover the rice. Then I set it manually to cook for 25 or 30 minutes.

https://www.choice.com.au/products/...po-5-in-1-pressure-cooker-6-litre-my-cs6004wf

The rice cooker that got Choice top score of 89% was the Breville BRC460 The Rice Box:

https://www.choice.com.au/products/...benchtop-cooking/breville-brc460-the-rice-box

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Bre...255985&hash=item1d002fe35f:g:lBAAAOSw1ylgGloo

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    DrJK likes this.
  5. Boneman

Boneman Member

I don't know the availabilty/prices in Aus but I love the Zojirushi cookers with the induction heating. Once you find your favorite rice and/or texture it's so good to have it come out consistently every time, also being able to cook chicken/pork/veggies etc in with the rice is pretty damn useful.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Does that mean you're more qualified to comment on rice cooking? :p :lol: I jest : )

I've purchased a cheap $30 rice cooker years and years ago and quite honestly I couldn't be more happy. It's a Kambrook. Probably won't be producing the best rice imaginable but it tastes pretty decent to me. And the main thing is it's not fussy with quantities of rice/water. Just needs to be roughly right, but I've never seemingly got it wrong.

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I would think I’m more qualified actually. I mean, I could cook rice on the stove but I never would

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My mum goes old skool and cooks rice on a stove in a pot :Paranoid: but it's actually really nice.

9. Djuice

Djuice Member

Honestly been using this $13 rice cooker for the last year everyday, cooking 4-6 cups of rice daily, and its simple to use, and just works. Just plug it in and set the tab, and leave it alone. There are ribbed indicators inside the non-stick bowl for water height to cup ratio, so even a novice can use this easily.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/7-cup-rice-cooker/2523302

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

220v Zoji here. Swear by it. Perfect rice, every time - all of it, not just the bit in the middle.

11. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Also not asian.

I use a large red microwave bowl, 3 cups of water per cup of white rice, cook 9 minutes, stir, cook 2 minutes.

Does fine.

12. Djuice

Djuice Member

Phew, I thought you would drain your rice in a colander, and then rinse it with water... /s

Sankari, DrJK and macktheknife like this.
  13. fnp

fnp Member

Haaaaaiya! BBC rice fail.

But I cook rice in a saucepan. Put rice in, rinse some water over it to wash the starch off, then put water in until it's about 10mm (or first finger joint if Asian) over the rice. Put salt in, put lid on tight, put on stove on high until water is gone (watch for 'steam holes' to appear or check bottom of saucepan if you're not confident). When water is gone take it off the heat and leave it alone for 10 or 15 minutes or so with the lid on to steam. Perfectly done every time.

For extra tasty rice experiment with putting in broken up stock cubes or minced ginger.

Sankari and Idafe007 like this.
  14. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

+1 for the Breville Rice Box (normal, not the smart one)

years of trouble free ownership so far

on fast cook, can cook a few cups of rice in 30 mins or so, then keep warm for ages and doesn't go dry etc.

DrJK likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    DrJK

DrJK Member

Woof, the Zoji are ridiculously expensive. $350 AUD before delivery. The Breville seems like it's what I'm looking for and with solid recommendations so it's definitely the front-runner for me at this point. I'll wait for a sale, though... and maybe a Honey code...

16. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Tiger isn't trendy, it's got none of the fancy functions, just cooks good rice.

17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

its trendy in the western countries. My parents were using a Tiger when i was growing up.

18. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

19. OP
    OP
    DrJK

DrJK Member

Trendy has nothing to do with features and everything to do with perception of a thing. The perception I have of it, based on cursory reading through threads here and elsewhere, is that Tiger is considered, mostly by Westerners, to be 'the' rice cooker. Now, whether it's good or good value or whatever, is entirely another issue separate from whether it's trendy or its reputation is justified. Since I don't know a huge deal about these issues, I thought I'd ask for further clarification.

20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

We found a broken Tiger on hard rubbish. Lid can fall off when you lift it up but seals perfect. Best bargain we've found and 5yrs later it's still going strong. Just need something big.

Go Tiger or go home.