1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Rice Cooker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by DrJK, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

We've had a Tiger for years, and love it. Never cooks bad rice. Surprised it's not totally worn out, but it just keeps on going.

I don't know much about other brands - the only other rice cooker I've used belonged to one of my flatmates when I was at uni, and it was more like a slow cooker ... probably a very early multi cooker type thing I guess. It was pretty crap (at cooking anything, not just rice)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  2. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Asian here (why is everyone reporting this? hahahah).

Parents at their home have a Tiger but I couldn't afford one at the time so I did a bunch of research but also wanted something aesthetically pleasing for my home/kitchen design. I ended up with a Phillips Grain Master:
    https://www.myer.com.au/p/philips-g...yG-h-GtCgDQBvom051QaAlD_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Currently on sale at Myers at $99 which is around what I paid. I think I paid a bit less with some cash back or other deals on top but anyway; I've not had any issues with this and it gets used every 2 days. Has 'fuzzy logic' technology which is like an AI that allows the rice cooker to 'think' and program itself to make choices like a human for the benefit of rice cooking. Instead of a linear process turning on, heating up for 'x' time, and off when the rice is done. It will constantly measure temps and control the cooking process to ensure your rice is cooked perfectly...... lots of gimmicky words but I've not had an issue with cooking rice and every batch to date has ben perfect. It's been going for 2 years strong and still looks brand new!

DrJK likes this.
  3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

The real important question is: Is there anyone that DOES NOT gauge the correct water level by using their fingertip to first knuckle?

If you don't then you shouldn't be cooking rice. If you do, well, the rice cooker is far less important (but Tiger is still King. Tiger King) :lol:

4. connico

connico Member

I used to have a Tiger classic till I gave it away. My parents gave it to me after 10 years of use. I used it for another 5 years. its still in use today. must be 21 years old now.

I have a Tiger with lotsa buttons but just mainly cook plain white rice. But I use the steam basket to steam vegetables.

Parents have a Panasonic with lotsa buttons and speaks to you. Mums one of those advance grandmas that cooks sticky rice, congee, white and brown rice in hers....

Asians gotta have thier rice lol

jpw007 likes this.
  5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I am offended at them cooking sticky rice in a rice cooker. You gotta steam that!

(Prob a different style since we all cook it differently. We don't have sticky as a dessert like Thai's generally do, as an example)

nav likes this.
  6. connico

connico Member

The panasonic has as a sticky rice function... She sticks a bamboo insert to make it work right for thai style sticky rice.

She still uses the bamboo steamer when she does large batches though, that thing stacks :p

jpw007 likes this.
  7. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

How much is a tiger going to set you back?

8. connico

connico Member

Single button tiger will set you back from $190-220. Its bullet proof and will most likely out live you ahahahaha

[​IMG]

2SHY and Arctic_Silver08 like this.
  9. jpw007

jpw007 Member

How good is the bamboo steamer!!! Us westerners have no idea just how great they are until we're exposed, and boy is there no going back lol.

Very similar to our one that we got off hard rubbish (as mentioned previously). 5yrs later and still an absolute unit despite the broken hinge on the lid.

10. connico

connico Member

You can buy spare parts for this cooker still, contact Tiger or one of its suppliers to find out how much the hinge cost...

Otherwise drive around on council pickup days in predominately asian suburbs... lol... thats not racist im asian... and you'll find rice cookers that they throw out cos there kids have bought them new ones ahahaha

Sankari and jpw007 like this.
  11. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Ours still works and seals flawlessly which is what matters. It's just when you lift up the lid you need make sure you lift it all the way back as if you only partly life then the lid might come off :lol:

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

This is because its induction and pressure cooking - not just fuzzy logic which is a fancy way of saying i have a thermostat.

You can make rice like a poor person in the fields - or you can have rice where every grain is perfect every time.

Depends how much you value rice. You can buy a toaster for $15 or $400. I eat *loads* more rice than i do toast.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    2SHY likes this.
  13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Surely that's all irrelevant if someone puts too much or too little water in?

Really, that's all that matters when it comes to cooking rice :lol:

14. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Obviously it depends on brands but I value rice between about 10c and maybe as high as 50c per 100g. But I still don't want a $400 toaster.

jpw007 likes this.
  15. NSanity

NSanity Member

my fingers are longer than yours.

2SHY likes this.
  16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

You don't know how big my hands are!

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Zoji has guides up the side to go with the Zoji cup (which i believe is 180ml volume) - use the marks, luke.

18. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Marks, fingers, hands, tigers, $400 toasters and rice cookers with fuzzy logic, you people have complicated the shit out of rice cooking. No wonder millennials get take away all the time.

Ripley, jpw007 and mAJORD like this.
  19. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I have a panasonic one that can do a bunch of things. Been using it for 10 years. Has settings for different kind of rice, porridge, etc and even a steam function. There're markings on the inside to tell you how much water to add too. It's fantastic. When it dies, it will be replaced with a similar one.

20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

th3_hawk likes this.