Rice Cooker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by DrJK, Mar 13, 2021.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

If you are nothing without your Zoji, then you are nothing! :lol:

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

For the record, I either use olschool rice cooker above, or since we don't have one currently. Stove top.. Measure by eye. adjust heat by eye

This 'every grain perfect' business.. lol. It's virtually impossible for one grain to be any different to the other as a result of whatever method or machine you use.. you either cock the whole thing up or get it right.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Awesome. That's the exact same cheap ass rice cooker I have, except a different brand on it. Never knew the such incredible but basic tech behind it. So cheap a device and so effective :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    DrJK

DrJK Member

I won a $150 toaster in a Lawson's bread competition. It's... not that great, really. Aside from the size of it being good for Lawson's loaves it's pretty fucking basic. You'd think with all the technological advances of humanity that a $150 toaster would be amazingly fucking fantastically and phenomenally better than a $12 one but it can't even toast the bread evenly on both sides, or top to bottom, let alone do any fancy tricks with bread. But hey, if you're giving away a $400 toaster, I'll give it a crack.

5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

PSA: Sandwich presses are the best toasters.

6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

PSA: Clothes pressers are not so good for toasting.

jpw007 likes this.
  7. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

Another Asian here... can confirm the above is good. I did pay about about $125 for it at Myer on sale. Also got a 2 year warranty extension for a total of 4 years. I don't usually buy extended warranty but $20 for 2 years extra seems good value to me.

I also have used this.. in a space of 12 months, 2 were faulty, I still have my 3rd one but purchased the one above. Wife wanted a fancier rice cooker.

When it works, it's a decent rice cooker. No complaints.

8. Sankari

Sankari Member

We don't have a rice cooker, but I'd love to get one. I've heard great things about Cuckoo.

connico likes this.
  9. Djuice

Djuice Member

Probably it's this one from K-Mart. I have the same, it just simply works, and its only purpose is to cook rice, and it does it job fabulously, especially easy to clean also, due to the non-stick rice bowl, and class lid.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/7-cup-rice-cooker/2523302

10. Djuice

Djuice Member

I think the issue could be that, if you don't wipe down the bottom of the rice bowl after washing the rice, there could be water trapped underneath the bowl before placing it in the rice cooker. This could possibly lead to water seeping into the heating/electronic mechanism, that can cause a short.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I have something similar to that (kmart job, looks the same, only it's 7 years old), the cleaning is the real benefit. Although it does have the problem that it spews water out of the steam vent, so I have to put it next to the sink.

I usually cook rice myself though. Cooking rice is easy, rinse 3 times, 2:1 water to rice ratio, bring to boil, simmer with the lid on til liquid is gone, done. Or if there's no way of measuring, tonnes of water, boil for 8 minutes, drain, stir a few times and let steam to get rid of any excess water.

Best toaster I've ever seen is an Aldi one that was like $30 (from like 2005 though, presumably doesn't exist anymore). It had a little door that closed over the top to keep the heat in, giving a much more even toast. It also had a digital timer on the side (why doesn't every toaster have that?) counting down til toast time.

Lasted a good decade or so too before the mechanism on the top finally gave out and dad tried to "fix" it.

12. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

A possibility but we're quite careful about that. We had a similar 5 cup Kambrook one that lasted 5-6 years. We replaced it as the non-stick bowl wasn't so non-stick in the end.

I think it's a combination of bad luck and cheap quality. It was $13!

I still can't get over the price. I wonder how much Kmart is buying it for to sell it for $13 once you factor GST, Duties, Freight and Profit/Overheads. I'm guessing $5. And at $5 the manufacturer also has to pay their workers and make a profit.

Off Topic. Whenever I walk into Kmart I'm amazed at how cheap things are. Kids T Shirts for $1.50 and that's regular selling price.

13. Renza

Renza Member

14. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Heh, I was just going to post that myself!

We had a Breville die after only three years or so and replaced it with a cheap KMart job which I banged and snapped the locking lid mechanism... although it's been working just fine for the last couple of years like that anyway.

I can cook rice on the stove pretty well, although the dedicated cookers are just idiot-proof and allow you to walk away and not worry about it, especially for brown rice which takes a while in the cooker.

As for toasters, we had a Morphy Richards model we bought because it was pretty and it worked well for over a decade before it started to have inconsistent results. Currently, we are rocking a fancy Breville four-slice model which works well enough, although seems to take a little longer than I remember the old one taking.

15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

So 4 pages in it seems like the only question left to be answered about rice cookers is, does a $200 brand name kettle boil water better than a $7 Aldi kettle!

16. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Why does everyone think that Thais eat sticky rice as desert mainly? Thats far from the truth.

Of the thousands of times my Thai partner has eaten stick rice, at most twice has been for mango sticky rice, the rest it's eaten with savoury food.

But she steams it lol, rice cooker is for Jasmine only

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  17. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Believe it or not, I was actually thinking Vietnamese but said Thai for some reason lol. You know that coconut milk + sticky rice + corn dessert? That's what was in my mind haha.

We steam ours also. If anyone puts sticky rice near a rice cooker then i'll slap them (except the guy wrapping in bamboo leaves).

Our sole rice source for the cooker is sushi rice, which imo is so good and versatile it's perfect for any cuisine. But there's certain foods where sticky rice is just unbeatable (so good with jow but it doesn't suit sauces as well imo.)

Raptor_Eye likes this.
  18. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Yeah we generally eat it with papaya salad, Thai style fried chicken and fish, larb(not raw, but in Thailand that's common) etc.

jpw007 likes this.
  19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

My brother from another mother!

We eat heaps with paw paw salad also, chicken wings, and larb or larb gai (beef we have raw and cooked ones, chicken obv cooked).

Lao style so very similar since they share a lot of the same foods with small differences!

Raptor_Eye likes this.
  20. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Haha indeed

Well my partner is Issan, hometown not far from Laos(Khon Kaen)

I can't match her spice level though, she puts 10+ chillies in her salad, looks like death soup lol, maybe within time I will build such a tolerance.

For now she makes a seperate white man version for me.

jpw007 likes this.