Richmond Airshow 2006

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by bertie, Oct 22, 2006.

1. bertie

bertie Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  2. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Love seeing the 11one with the wings back :leet:

Nice work

3. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

funny lookin tiger moth...

4. norbs

norbs Member

Nice ones Bertie. A bit pissed off I didn't get off my fat arse and get out there today. The weather looked shitty this morning, but it turned out fine.

5. `X'

`X' Member

Bertie thats a CAC Mustang.

Please change that.

6. OP
    OP
    bertie

bertie Member

Thanks mate. I'm well impressed with how much difference a decent camera can make to a photo :). I was nearly going to give it a miss yesterday cause it looked so crappy outside, but I'm really glad I didn't.

7. OP
    OP
    bertie

bertie Member

Done ;) . Could've sworn I heard the commentators refer to it as a "tiger moth" while it was doing it's thing, but maybe they were refering to something else. (Yes, I'm a bit of an airplane numpty)

*edit: Worked it out - the Tiger Moth was the bi-plane up in the air at the same time as the Mustang :leet:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  8. chrisorm

chrisorm Member

OK, I've just had time to look at my shots and found a couple of interesting ones.

I wasn't sure if the 70-200 was going to be long enough, and I have never really tried aerial photography before so they are a bit hit'n'miss but I think they came out ok.

I must say I was well impressed with the R/C Jets, I remember seeing a video of one a while ago but to actually see the size of them was quite amazing.

First, the obligatory F-111:

[​IMG]

Now an interesting shot of a C-130, are those contrails off the propeller blades or just motion blur? This is the main reason for my post, I just wanted to find out exactly what that is.

[​IMG]

I don't know how to link the photos to the full size ones, but there are full size of these and a couple of others straight out of the camera at (and I mean full-size, 1.2MB and 3000px wide, so 56K beware):

http://www.chrisormerod.com/gallery/albums/Richmond+Air+Show+-+2006.aspx

Now if anybody has some tips about air photography or how these might be processed to look a bit better then fire away. I'm going to the red bull air race in WA and certainly want to have a crack at photography over there and hopefully take some better shots.

Chris.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  9. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

The tripple one needed some fill flash..

10. seb

seb Member

Nice pix. I went the Sunday. very much enjoyed the show. I loved watching the FA/18 pilots pull out after a pass at what the commentator decribed (and it really did look like it) 6-7G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's also great watching them stand on their tails and go up up up (into the clouds which were admittedly a bit low).

The Globemaster was pretty good too.

11. chrisorm

chrisorm Member

I dont think even the 580EX has that much reach :)

12. holodeck3

holodeck3 Member

The show was definatly impressive. Sadly I'm a bit of a noob to my DSLR, and only came home with 12 good photos out of 200 shot.

The F1-11's were pretty loud, so was the C17 and the F18A's. I didnt mind the hercs, since I love turboprops, the sound was more enjoyable than the roar of the turbine aircraft. Just as I arrived the tiger moth flew right over my head.

I was on my feet the whole day and pretty buggered by the time I got home.

There was some pretty big zooms out there on the day. One guy was shooting a nikon not far from me with a huge telephoto on it. Wonder how his pics turned out :)

and forgot to mention (edit) on my left was some chap shooting a canon with a pro L lens on it, which was rather big as well.

13. brad57

brad57 Member

Contrails - they go back quite a way. Contrails are common at the tips of props when it's humid, which it clearly was :)

14. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

15. quilb

quilb Member

Hey,

Did they happen to have a P3-C Orion there? Did you get a pic?
    Love those things :p

16. eth3Real

eth3Real Member

17. Long Haired Git

Long Haired Git Member

I am no photographer at all, but my little IXUS-55 did capture a couple of vids (I was mostly watching).

Noise of the F1-11 at take off and fly by was awesome - a great experience for my little rug rats. High-light of the show for me was the FA-18 square roll.

Anyway, some vids including the F1-11 dump and burn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUE0JxChLTw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dlKwYPuNqk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AooA_o9sXFc

Oh yeah, we were front row against the barrier, dead centre. I am not an aviation nut, I've just got kids who get up with the sun, so we get to most places early...

18. chaps

chaps Member

I've done 6.9G in the FA-18.... I was sooo close to passing out, extreme tunnel vision was happening.. i dunno how the pilots can do it day after day...

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

G suits and training? ;)

20. [Cobra]

[Cobra] Member

the F/A-18 can pull 7.5G and you build up a resistance to g's with more exposure to it. (well actually they can pull more than 7.5g's if they override the computer but it is set to limit it to 7.5)

you did really well to get to 6.9 and not pass out chaps, most guys will go at around 5g's.

:)