RIDATA CF Cards. Any good? Shy away?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dropbear, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Some good deals on 4GB Ridata CF deals on Ebay presently. Anyone got any success/horror stories for these?

2. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

What sort of price are they?
    :)

3. Michael H

Michael H Member

Ridata are excellent, I have both CF & SD, never had a problem using them in Canon SLRs. A cheap and reliable source here: www.powerinnumbers.com.au

PS those ebay prices are very very cheap, but the seller is in Indonesia, but they do at least have good feedback.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  4. OP
    OP
    Dropbear

Dropbear Member

according to the page the item is in Sydney, Australia....hmmm

I think I might splurge anyway

5. micro

micro Member

I've been using RiData for the past few years with no problems at all.

Currently I'm using a pair of RiData Pro2 80x 1Gb CF Cards (spares) and my main card is a RiData Pro 150x 4Gb CF card. Speed is great, price was great, 100% happy with all the ones I have. The ones I have are the Pro series, the 1gb's are bronze, the 4gb is silver.

They seem to work beautifully for me in my 350D and I can't detect any speed problems there.

I've also got a few RiData SD cards and again, even after using and abusing htem they work great.

All I have were sourced off eBay sellers. Well, one eBay seller who I won't mention due to VV but he's prominently mentioned in the thread about fake CF cards and ebay.

I was going to get sandisk extreme something or other but the prices on these were much better and from all reports the quality was as good. Also I have not heard any reports about fake RiData cards on eGay as you get with the sandisks.

go for it, you can't go wrong with them.

micro

6. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

I've got 2x ridata 2gb 150x CF's, they are reliable and i haven't had any problems with them whatsoever, but if i could go back, i would buy Ultra II's or even the extreme's any day.

I found it doesn't write as quick as the ultra II's (which are apparently only 66x), but for its price, it'll do the job.

But if you're using a 1d2, i would be sticking to extreme III's

7. Michael H

Michael H Member

"But if you're using a 1d2, i would be sticking to extreme III's"

My tests (using SD cards) showed:

Sandisk Extreme III, 10.31 sec
    Ridata 66x, 18.37 sec
    Ridata 150x, 15.05 sec

Camera: Canon 1D Mark II
    Firmware: Ver1.2.3
    Card capacity: Each of the cards was 1G
    Methodology: 50mm lens using manual focus. Take a burst of 10 pictures. Start timing from when I release the shutter button until the red light goes out on the camera. Stopwatch used for timing. For comparion, a Ridata 52x Compact Flash Card (1G) took 25.05 seconds.

In the real world I have noticed very little difference between the Sandisk Extreme III and the Ridata 150x. After using the SDs for about 12 months, I can recall one time when I was held up by the Ridatas (x150). But if you want no comprises Sandisk Extreme III are the way to go.

8. systemdown

systemdown Member

I got a 4GB RiData 80x CF from eBay several months ago, very happy with it. Sure it's not as fast as some other cards, but I was after the capacity and I couldn't turn down the price. :thumbup:

9. Nafe

Nafe Member

If your camera isn't going to push them, then it's only a matter of reliability.
    For my own conscience/safety, I use Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III and a lone Lexar pro 80X (which is Extreme III in speed). But only using a 20D for now...

10. Scratchy

Scratchy Member

I've had a Ridata Pro-2 80X for over a year and absolutely hammered it. I've never had a problem with it on the 300D. :thumbup:

11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

At work there are 2+ year old POS machines that run a cut down version of WinXp Pro running off a Ridata CF "pro" card.

Never had a problem and they're still going strong. Two years of constant read and write cycles didn't kill 'em! Fairly good sign.

12. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

been using Ridata CF cards in my Nikon 5700 for years no probs :)