Riddle me this, the cost of running Fibre.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by bubblegoose, Jul 11, 2014.

1. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Ok, So where I work we want to upgrade our network backbone, and thus doing so we will be installing fibre. We have been in the process of getting quotes, and so far one has come back and it seems ridiculously high.

Lets take a look at one of the runs, how much do you think this should cost?

Between building 1 and Building 2, there is about 15 meters of ground. The comms cabinets that this fibre needs to get between are roughly 20 meters apart (15m ground plus elevation).
    Between these buildings, there is a 100mm conduit that is empty, and has a pull cord. There is internal conduit up to the comms cabinets but there is no fibre tray at either end, so that needs to be factored into the cost of the install.
    We only want 4 core multimode (OM3, OM4 etc).
    Brand doesn't matter for fibre trays and can be either SC or LC.

How much do you think that should cost all up parts and labour???

2. Redback

Redback Member

If the conduit is already there, you could do the dodgy and just run a 30m patch lead through it

3. OP
    OP
    bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

There are other runs we are doing as well that are 100m or so. You're right, we could do that, but then where can you find waterproof rigid patch leads?

The quote I got back did include the use of pre-terminated fibre :thumbup:

4. wolfie870

wolfie870 Member

Cable should be $5 a metre max (water blocked riser rated LSZH 4F OM3 or OM4).

Are you using a contractor that actually deals with fibre regularly? I work for a fibre manufacturing company, trays, pre-terms, patch leads etc. etc.

Often you'll get a contractor that prices a whole heap of fat into a fibre job because they're unfamiliar with it and think that it's super expensive in the market.

Pre-term price hard to say, depends on what you're after connector wise, breakout length, staggering etc.

Do you have an itemised quote with parts and labour separated?

5. OP
    OP
    bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Not cost itemised.

They work with fibre all the time.

Listed is your usual stuff. LC OM4, 1RU Fobot plus all the couplers and management stuff, blanking plates etc. Flexi and saddles for each end etc. Also labour.

6. knoted

knoted Member

Under $5k spliced.
    Cheaper if they can do pre-made.

7. Zetrox2k

Zetrox2k Member

Hi mate,
    I work for a fibre optics cable distributor, if you pm me I'd be happy to provide you with pricing on preterminated fibres, trays, etc with pulling sleeves. Assuming you have trays installed already or are comfortable fixing these in, the process from there is practically plug and play.