Right tools for projects?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Revenger, Jan 25, 2021.

1. caspian

caspian Member

Revenger - for such a small piece I'd just get a vice, hacksaw, file and hammer. if that's all you will use it for, it's not worth the money on a power tool. and the power tool is only an option if you use aluminium, and you're still going to need the vice and hammer to get nice bends.

could you just use some extruded aluminium angle and screw or rivet the pieces in place?

2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

With what I read earlier just made a mby impulse to get the Metabo 400W Swift Band Saw BAS 261 as was recommended earlier using zip so I can pay flexible.
    The gettoolsdirect has it cheap $430 but need to confirm shipping price, so I'll await that and then decide if its cheaper to get elsewhere like total tools $489 which is local.

Figured as it was recommended earlier for doing metal sheets .6m steel I have, may be a good purchase for various materials, EVA foam, wood etc.

What type of blade would I need for metal etc?

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  3. caspian

caspian Member

depends on what sort of metal.

for aluminium you can get away with a wood blade. not all aluminium alloys are the same, the "gummier" alloys would benefit from a coarser blade in the 6-8TPI range, hard ones would do better with a fine 12-14TPI blade. if you are cutting thin material then stick with the fine tooth blade regardless, you need several teeth in the cut to avoid kicking and chattering. lube the blade with a hard wax. ideally you'd use kero for a lube but that will make a hell of a mess on a light bandsaw. some metho in a squirt bottle can be helpful but please do this outdoors with good ventilation and don't use the mist setting! it's also desirable to set up vacuum extraction to clear the chips but DO NOT do this if using metho. the blade should be dedicated to metal use, it won't be any good for wood afterwards.

with steel the challenge is not just the blade but the cut speed. you can't reduce the speed of a small hobby saw enough to cut steel of any thickness, they don't have the required drive pulley system and you can't just slow the motor with an external controller because you will lose too much motor torque. you could do thin (like 1mm) steel max with the right blade and lubricant, you need a bimetallic blade. make sure you can buy a bimetallic blade in the right length before buying the saw. a wood blade will be destroyed very quickly.

4. miicah

miicah Member

ALDI had bandsaws a few weeks back. I know they still had some in stock at my local.

5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

The bansaw freight was going to be too much so order has been canceled.

I can get either the: BP-255 - Wood Band Saw or METABO BAS 261 PRECISION 400W BAND SAW locally.

caspian, you recommended them so what's your pick for 1mm steel and general projects?

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  6. caspian

caspian Member

anything you can get a bimetallic blade for. you'll need to determine the blade length those saws take and whether you can get them.

for instance, the Metabo is listed as taking a 1712mm / 67-13/32 " blade. these *might* be suitable - they would need the saw to be have an additional 8mm or so of tensioning adjustment. you'd have to check if the saw can accommodate that. probably best done in person, or at least speak to someone who can check for you (and is willing to stand behind the sale on that basis).

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B...ax6=Mild+Steel&removefilter=specMin5;specMax5

7. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I'll need to do research.
    Also half looking at the cheap table saws as that would do the jobs I need for now.

8. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Been looking at a mini table saw as a cheaper alternative I have narrowed it down to these two.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002008622859.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.4a912e0ek2BnQR
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002324432191.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.4a912e0ek2BnQR

The first comes with a metal blade useful straight away, and is stepped speed via voltage.
    The second come with a bunch of extra bits, adjustable blade height, stepless speed adjustment etc, though I'll need to get a blade for that one.
    The metal I want is thin sheet metal 1mm or less I have .6 to do my arcade panel with so nothing thick.

9. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Will be crap. Needs a much bigger bed, many more teeth or a diamond blade to get a decent cut

10. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

They take 125mm cut off discs and blades, so grinder discs I assume.
    The KKmoon comes with a titanium and resin blade.

The one with adjustable height seems kinda decent for basic stuff don't expect something fancy and I could always upgrade the motor I presume.

Getting the KKmon as its better than the other will let you all know.

11. underskore

underskore Member

another vote for staying the hell away from those mini table-saws... really seem like they'd be a liability in the long run.

Only you know what you'll really use the tool for and there's really only a small amount of crossover between everything mentioned in this thread.
    table saws don't have a throat but generally can't go near the thickness a bandsaw can, not to mention a kerf that's quite possibly twice the size...

Let the work you do decide the priority of the tools you purchase.

I spent a long time using a jigsaw and belt sander before moving onto a bandsaw and bench grinder with the right sort of linishing attachment to complement them.

12. caspian

caspian Member

those are not tools. they are a liability.

either:

- purchase a quality tool that is the right tool for the job. this will cost some money.
    - accept some hand work, maybe supplemented by some power tools. such as a hand grinder as a cutoff tool, and some filing in a vice.
    - deal with the reality that there's some stuff you just can't handle yourself.

there's plenty of things I'd like to be able to do that would require tools I can't afford, can't justify or don't have the space for.

mad_mic3 likes this.