1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP vet Dr Sophia Yin dog trainer

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by broccoli, Sep 30, 2014.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

Put this in here because people other than "dog people" might not even have heard of her. Just logged onto her site and there's a notice that she's died suddenly. Only young. :(

2. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

Very unfortunate. Like a lot of young vets, suicide. It's a blight on our profession.

3. Thudd

Thudd Member

May I ask why? What is the issue with the veterinary profession?

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'd take a guess and say that you become a vet because you love animals, then find that your job seems to involve more killing them than saving them?

A vet would be a really shitty job for an animal lover IMO.

5. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

A question that has been hard to answer Thudd. Ratzz has answered a tiny part of it. Killing the animals is not a big issue. The issue tied to euthanasia is the reasons why the animal is being euthanased.

It is complex and is actively being studied by those in the profession and others outside.

It does likely come down to the people attracted to the profession - high performing, compassionate and empathetic people. Compassion fatigue is a term bandied around. A lot of Vets become emotionally drained through their tireless work, not distancing themselves and becoming involved (even in a small way) with their work. This does make great Vets who are invested and want to help as much as possible, but it takes its toll.

Tough question Thudd, maybe we will find an answer soon.

6. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I know it's daft, but I'm feeling really sorry for her dog and how he'll be feeling.

7. newtosystems

newtosystems Member

They don't really know why, but here are some theories.

8. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Damn. Sad to hear :( and yeah was also thinking of her dog. It was her family so no its not daft to think about it at all.

9. BGH

BGH Member

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

My wife is a vet and I can confirm that it can be very stressful and emotionally draining job. Combined with the fact that it pays very poorly you can see how things could start to compound and lead to depression.