RiverBed steelhead 1050l & Cisco 2951 router config

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Adona, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Adona

Adona Member

Hey peeps. I have just acquired a Riverbed 1050l and Cisco 2951 and am unsure of how to configure then.

I know it's probably "overkill" for a home network but hey if nothing else its a chance to learn and play around.

I'm unfamiliar with Cisco unit so lets just assume I know nothing about them, and a Riverbed WAN accelerator is also pretty new to me.

I'd appreciate any help with this and hey once it up and running. might pass on some server related stuff for helping me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. power

power Member

the riverbed will be completely useless to you as riverbeds talk to each other over a wan. it does have a web login page though.

3. OP
    OP
    Adona

Adona Member

I was actually looking at wiping and running PF sense on the river bed

More that little Cisco unit is what I'm interested in. if I can't work it out I'd probably just sell it

4. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

it comes down on what specifically you want to do? Cisco router is easy if you know how, but likely overkill for your needs.

I could configure a cisco router but use a tplink (running openwrt) for my edge, allows everything i need.

5. OP
    OP
    Adona

Adona Member

I mean I wanna set the cisco to be my router and as the ISP routers are absolute garbage. I just know 2 5th of fuck all about Cisco products but hey was a freebie so yeah might as well make use of it

6. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

but what is garbage about your standard ISP router?

you wont get wireless out of thr 2951, so your going to need an AP somewhere, which may as well be an all in one device.

Its going to chew up min 40W which is like 1 Kw per day. Its not worth it. ~$100 per annum, you could buy a shit router and replace it annually and still be ahead.

A all in one will use closer to 5-10W.

But if your still keen
    You need 2 IPs
    WAN via dhcp
    LAN via static
    probably want dhcp host
    and NAT configured

This will get you pretty close

http://www.yourictmagazine.com/howt...re-a-cisco-router-to-connect-to-internet.html

only extra you will probably need is ip address dhcp on the WAN interface.

You will need to go deeper if you need to do vlan tagging on the LAN ie NBN or PPPoE. But im sure you can find guides by googling them.

Have a go and post configs and people will help more.

Adona likes this.
  7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Sell them on ebay and use the money towards a prosumer all in one router/AP.

8. OP
    OP
    Adona

Adona Member

I got a TP link 15bd omni directional areal and a AP but pretty much wanna have to different networks ie personal and an access point for other people in my estate to connect to. dont ask long story

9. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Most prosumer routers can do split SSID networks these days often called a guest network.

Your requirements arnt special that require a cisco/riverbed device to do, and whats more that you dont know how to configure.

If you cant do it and think your requirements are more enterpeise then maybe you should pay for an intergrator to assist you.

10. OP
    OP
    Adona

Adona Member

I didn't pay for the riverbed or cisco router so ehh. id be happy with just 1 network and rework my AP from the little one I've got with non detachable antennas to one that allows for for this areil i got. again not fussed as I'm currently teaching myself to try learn more

11. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Neither of the units you have are wireless APs and don't suit the requirements that you've given. evilasdeath has the right idea; get a prosumer router with guest wireless capability. As an aside, it's worth having a think about what to do when cops come knocking on your door for things done over your internet connection; you'll have a hard time proving those naughty things were caused by other people via guest wireless.

Adona likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Adona

Adona Member

Actually that's a valid idea ir0nhide, and I had a think about what evilasdeath said so from my point of view he has raised a good point. Thanks for for the help guys :)