RJ11 or RJ 12 cable?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MoNk{LAH}, Oct 26, 2008.

1. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

Just need to get a longer cable for my adsl. To run from the wall jack to the adsl modem, is it only compatible with an rj11 cable, or can i just use an rj12 cable?

arent they the same thing, except the rj12 jack has just more connectors or something??

or does it have to be RJ11? if so, where can i get it? coz dicksmith dont have any

2. Primüs

Primüs Member

RJ11 and RJ12 are socket/connector types, not cable types. If your modem says its only compatible with RJ11 then go RJ11, RJ11, iirc, is a standard telephone cable.

However heed this warning: extending distance from wall socket to ADSL modem = possible stability and loss of speed problems, your better option is to buy some CAT5e cable, and run the LAN longer appose to the phone line, keep the modem closer to the socket.

3. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Either plug will be fine.

RJ 11 has 4 conductors.
    RJ 12 has 6 conductors.

Both physically identical in every other way.

4. OP
    OP
    MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

well the extended distance will only be about 1 m more or so. Iirc a standard telephone line is rj12 I'm sure LOL. I tried some rj12 cable but then j couldn't get online. Where can I get rj11 cables. Dse andjaycar don't have any.

5. caspian

caspian Member

both RJ11 and RJ12 use standard 6P modular connectors. the difference is that RJ12 has all 6 pins terminated (making it a 6P6C), whereas an RJ11 has either 4 or 2 pins connected (6P4C or 6P2C respectively).

any telephony device only uses pair 1 (pins 3 & 4) so frankly anything *should* work, but there can be problems if:

• you scored a device that doesn't like a multi-pair cable (and they are out there)
    • the cable is a crossover cable (and RJ12 crossovers exist)
    • the cable was simply bad or incorrectly terminated
    • the socket is incorrectly terminated and/or has a loop extension and/or has more than one line terminated on it.

my normal advice is to use a 2-wire cable only.

6. OP
    OP
    MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

think i'll just stick to some rj11 lol

7. Gecko

Gecko Member

In Australia, RJ11 usually refers to the really small connectors that go between handset and phone unit, and RJ12 usually refers to the wire between the wall and the phone.

That said, like a lot of "standards" everyone has their take on it :) (for example in the US what we in Australia call RJ12 can be either RJ11 or RJ14, and I can't remember what they call RJ11 off the top of my head)

8. g@z

g@z Member