RMA of Toshiba HDD

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ~Coxy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

I purchased some Toshiba hard drives off eBay from seller Systemax IT. They are MG05ACA800E 8TB disks, supposedly with a 5 year mfr warranty.

One is failing smart badly and is throwing lots of read errors so I wanted to RMA it.
    Systemax told me to pound sand since I was outside of 12 month "seller warranty".
    Toshiba doesn't want to hear about it since they don't seem to deal with end users.

Does anyone have a contact for a distributor where I can RMA it?

2. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

It is illegal for Toshiba to honor a warranty. It is also illegal for Systemax IT to refuse warranty, both parties should be reported to the ACCC.

3. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I've had issues with the same seller in the past. They also charged me freight to return the part. This is also illegal but i was over it by that stage so just paid it. Definitely would not purchase from them again. My drive was about 18 months old.

4. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    No it isnt.

5. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/warranties

Warranty against defects
    Some businesses will also provide a warranty against defects, also called a manufacturer’s warranty. This is a representation to a consumer, made at or around the time that goods are supplied, that if the goods (or part of them) are defective, the business will:

• repair or replace goods (or part of them)
    • resupply or fix a problem with services (or part of them)
    • provide compensation to the consumer.
    A warranty against defects is usually limited by time.

All suppliers, manufacturers and service providers that provide you with a warranty against defects must comply with that warranty. If they do not, you may bring an action against the person or business who provided the warranty, either under the ACL or for breach of contract.

A promise about what the supplier or manufacturer will do if something goes wrong can be a warranty against defects even if it is not provided in a formal document. Any material with writing on it could evidence a warranty against defects, for example wording on the packaging or on a label, if those words contain such a promise.

A warranty against defects is provided in addition to the consumer guarantees and does not limit or replace them.

Toshiba are the manufacturer and it is a manufacturer warranty. The retail under Australian consumer law is also obliged to handle warranty claims. (see MSY decisions regarding refusal to honor warranty)

6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Try Mittoni. They're the Australian distributor for Toshiba HDD. I've RMA through them before.

7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

not illegal, you can request postage costs to be refunded or paid if they're excessive though (like a TV)

8. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    I know this stuff mate but Im taking it you made a typo. You posted as above I quoted," it is ILLEGAL for toshiba to honor ( honour ) a warranty" to which I replied "no it isnt" meaning it is not illegal for them to honour a warranty but it is a legal must for them to do so. There is no timeframe keeping them from warranting an item, thats up to them outside of normal warranty times/conditions. It comes down to customer relations sometimes.

Im of the opinion all retailers should be made to read the warranty clause they make MSY display and also display it themselves as just about every retailer here in Au has tried at sometime or other to skip out on warranty related obligations at one time or other based on made up bullshit.

The item cost to return is recoverable as long as it is reasonable for the items description according to the ACCC so if I have 3 fans fail for examples sake and I send them back and they test fail, I am owed the reasonable cost of returning the fans and 3 fans. The onus of cost to return these replacement fans to me is on the seller/warrantor

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. mtma

mtma Member

The ACL has some stuff to prevent the situation where a grey/parallel seller or an unauthorised seller makes claims about the manufacturer's warranties such that the branded manufacturer does not have responsibility to honour the warranty; instead the importer is responsible for facilitating the manufacturer's warranty.

So for example if the drives were actually HP sourced and HP imported them direct from overseas, Toshiba (in Australia) isn't the 'manufacturer' for the purposes of the ACL.

Fun.

10. OP
    OP
    ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I called them twice and was on hold for an hour each time so gave up.
    (They do also state on their website that they won't honour warranty on goods not purchased through them...)

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

They used to be the only Toshiba internal HDD distributor in Australia. Not sure about it these days.