RMA of Toshiba HDD

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ~Coxy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I guess the only two players left now are Western Dig and Seagate.

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Has nothing to do with Toshiba. If you don't buy from the right channels but 3rd party reseller mobs like Systemax you're bound to run into issues like this.

3. OP
    OP
    ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

It's absolutely to do with Toshiba. Other mfrs have direct RMA no questions asked. Look up the serial# and you're golden.

4. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

technically in Australia your warranty is with the retailer and not the manufacturer.....Having said that its still very poor form on Toshibas behalf for not providing any form of support. I know I won't be touching Toshiba products again after getting burnt with a few failures.

5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Contact ACCC & Fair Trading for your state and tell them Systemax refuse to honour their warranty. The only way they'd get out of it would be if it were a used item. This is exact type of shit MSY got absolutely rekt by the ACCC for doing.

The problem will be if they aren't an Australian company. Then you might be screwed. But at least you'll have the ACCC/Fair Trading involved and they might be able to help you deal directly with Ebay or Toshiba. There's also a potential that Ebay might have some kind of responsibility since you bought it on their site but I have no idea.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. chook

chook Member

Lodge a claim in VCAT/NSQ equivalent against the people you purchased from. Your contract of sale and warranty is with the retailer.

They will then owe you the cost of the lodgement plus the drives. Have done before with 100% success. Make sure that you have all the details of your receipt, reasonable attempts to have them facilitate the return and their refusal.

7. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I just looked up the warranty of my drive on the Toshiba.com website and it says out of warranty. Systemmax lied about the warranty. I wonder if this is a grouds for a refund, due to bait and switch? Supposed to be a 5 year warranty, yet the drive is only 2 years old. Perhaps the drives were used and just wiped and sold as new?

8. McPoyle

McPoyle Member

Cut your losses and move on. I tried to RMA with SystemMAX and they did the typical RMA manager is not in for 2 weeks. Then when I did get hold of him, he said send it in and we will assess and then make a decision. Easier and cheaper to buy on Amazon and shuck.

9. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

True. And add sustemmax to block list on ebay

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Somebody needs to report Systemax to the relevant manufacturers that they are selling there products with the false advertising that 3rd party warranty is honoured by the manufacturer (which is not). Then report the mob to ACCC for misleading practises.

Generally mobs like Systemax are IT reseller's, they purchase used enterprise gear from decommissioned sites and then sell it off as-is. This can also include accumulated new old stock as well. Of all similar resellers that I have dealt with the only warranty that is offered is if the item arrives is DOA. Rarely do they offer the OEM warranty, this would be otherwise misleading the consumer.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  11. chook

chook Member

There are slightly different scenarios here.

In some countries (US is one) the warranty is between the end purchaser and the manufacturer. In AU the warranty is between the end purchaser and the retailer. If the retailer purchases the drive from the manufacturer three years ago then their warranty will expire in two years but yours will expire five years from the date you purchased it from them If something goes wrong in the last three years of your warranty then the retailer has to wear the cost of replacement.

Seriously, get your information together and put them into the CAT in your State.