[WORKLOG] Rocket Science: Creating fittings for Aussie copper pipe (8/8 Black plated out soon)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Saate, Jan 29, 2014.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

i think your insane :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

so much effort.

did you actually look into the amount of "squash" the o-ring is meant to have to sustain certain pressures or it "extruding" while the tube was being installed, but then again its double o-ring so if one fails...

suddenly machining down the ends of the tube sounds very appealing to me.

i'd say its just the friction, but i dont think water cooling pumps churn out massive PSI's of pressure. OP have you considered just blanking off a piece of pipe and installing it into a fitting cranking up the pressure (maybe house mains pressure) and seeing how much they can cop before the tube blows out? purely just as a fun experiment?

2. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Good to see someone following through for the benefit of the community, I hope it becomes profitable for you :thumbup::thumbup:

3. YoSiMeTe_SaM

YoSiMeTe_SaM Member

Subbed, simply awesome stuff :thumbup: I do hope it all goes to plan and we start to see some sexy copper water cooled rigs :D

4. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

they look awesome, do you have a side by side pic with the c47"s & your"s:thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks so much for the kind comments, guys! I really enjoyed working with copper and so it’s been exciting (and a bit scary at the same time!) to think I might be able to open it up for the community as well. The success of my Massively build was largely due to the support I got from the community in terms of advice, tips, tricks and techniques. I figured if I could show you guys that the same level of thought and attention to detail is going into these fittings it’d be a good start :)

Besides the fittings, though, I’m really keen to hear ideas on stuff I can make next! Besides pieceofchance’s idea of a wang-shaped adapter (that’s a tiny 90’ male-male FYI!) I’m keen to hear if anyone has ideas?

They’re pretty close, I’ll take some pics and post later on in the worklog.

I think this is one of the most common questions I’ve been asked in regard to push-fit fittings. It’s certainly a reservation I can remember having ahead of doing my own build, too. Based on my experience, though, I consider the fit to be as secure as standard compression fittings. It’s a little counterintuitive before you’ve had hands-on experience, but once you’ve connected and disconnected tube you’ll realise there’s no way watercooling pump pressures could push the tube out.

A while back I bought some adapters to connect a bike pump to G¼ inch thread. I wasn’t sure why I bought them at the time but now I think I know – I might try setting up a test rig with a fitting and a piece of pinched-off copper pipe so I can see how much pressure I can apply before it comes out. Pretty sure I either won’t be able to apply enough pressure to move the tube or, depending on how good the pump works, will have to apply so much that it’ll become a dangerous projectile. Either way, fun for the whole family right? :p

6. Gunna

Gunna Member

Only if you record it and post the video......purely for scientific research purposes of course.......:p

7. moloko vellocet

moloko vellocet Member

Nice one Saate, good to see you're taking the initiative here. :thumbup:

As someone with university visual design training, please for the love of god change the stroke and/or fill on "Rocket Science" in the logo at the centre of your website. It is driving me nuts! :lol: :upset: :p

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Done :)

Haha, yes my bad on that! The original design for the site was based on a black background and although I updated the other images that one was supposed to be replaced with an FAQ button which is why the annoying one was still there. I've removed it for the time being, thanks for the reminder :)

9. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Less chats more updates. :Paranoid::lol:

10. havabeer

havabeer Member

probably rather wasteful in terms of maching and left overs but:
    1. machine down both thread OD's on two opposite faces including o-ring seat
    2. cut 1/4 thread
    3. using a normal drill bit, drill the required ID of the hole on one face
    4. other face, use a normal drill bit to drill 3/4 of the hole
    5. use a flat face drill bit to finish hole off.
    6. you should now have two connecting holes on the inside and two 1/4 threads on out side

[​IMG]

you can then pretty up the out side by taking off corners etc

hopefully my ultra dodgy paint diagram explains it a little. also if you actually have a look inside and 90 you can see what i mean about the flat drill. bulk companies probably a CNC with a slot drill to do this for them

11. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

... wow, what is this... I don't even... :Paranoid:

12. hazwan

hazwan Member

thats impressive work mate. i wish i have your skill and resources to craft something so amazing. anyway, i came across these guys on FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/PirateMod/449408355089939 i havent got much time to look into them, but they did post pics of some fittings that do work with copper tubes.

13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Haha, I just made up the pieceofchance ‘wang shaped connector’ as an example to hassle him a little bit. If you have a read through the Massively worklog, particularly at the cartoons featuring him, it’ll make a bit more sense. The fact I got a paint diagram out of it is awesome though :p

Thats right, plans afoot mate! You stay paranoid! :p

Cheers Haz, hadn’t seen them before so have been checking out their stuff. I always love new copper pipe content! :D

14. crocodaVe

crocodaVe Member

This idea mate, is revolution in watercooling in Australia 'Massively'. :) I know that yourself and Hugh have put much work, time and planning into this. Being a local, I was lucky enough to buy a 12x pack of Rocketscience fittings a little while back. The quality of the fittings is as good or better as any other fitting. They shit on the BP reds I used in the mini gold (sigged). G1/4 threads are perfect. High quality O-rings, and solid seals. Absolutely brilliant effort and results mate.
    I am currently about to use these in a brass pipe 12.7mm (1/2") AMD rig and have ran a few days pumping a 360 rad and brass DangerDen M5 brass block.
    Magic seals, good flow, not a drop lost ! Thank you for doing this Matt.

Click to view full size!

15. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Update – Packaging

Packaging time! I really loved this part of the process, too :) So while waiting for the revised prototypes to arrive I’d started to think about how I was going to handle packaging for the fittings. All the fittings I’d bought to date had come in sealed bags, for any non modding-fanatics out there this is the kind I mean:

[​IMG]

Initially I figured there wasn’t any reason to go down a different route with packaging for my fittings so ordered a few types of bags and started working on some stickers to go on the bags. Here’s one of the early designs I played with:

[​IMG]

This design didn’t feel right, and I realised the sticker would be too long to fit properly onto a bag. I experimented with a few more shapes and sizes and started to put together the actual wording and text that would go onto the final sticker. Here’s another draft, this time in a much shorter sticker to fit onto the bags:

[​IMG]

I thought that didn’t look too bad and printed one out to put on a bag and get a better sense of the look/feel and overall fit. Here’s how it looked next to the early prototype fittings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought it looked ‘okay’ but didn’t like how much of a waste it felt like putting the fittings into individual bags with individual stickers. It occurred to me that nobody was going to buy individual fittings either, since at a minimum you really need one for each end of the copper pipe. That’s when I started to think about how I could bundle fittings together in bigger quantities. One of the things I decided I’d like to do, if possible, was to package the fittings in a way that was neater and cleaner to stack compared to individual plastic bags.

I started with the idea of a 2-fitting box. Based on the dimensions of the fittings I made a few mockups using Microsoft word line art :p Here was the first version (USB drive included for scale), way more space than I needed:

[​IMG]

Second version, much closer to the size I wanted:

[​IMG]

I liked the idea of these small boxes but after thinking about it realised I was still thinking too small. For copper pipe builds people would be doing exactly the same thing I did and buying up enough to cover the build. I used 12 fittings for copper pipe in my Massively build, and based on rough calculations figured this would be a good size to aim for in terms of packaging.

I did some design mockups based on a 4-pack and a 12-pack. Here was what I was initially looking at for the boxes, ideally with the ‘ROCKET SCIENCE’ text in a foil stamp. Although as any print designers amongst you will be able to confirm, foil usually means lots of added $$$ to produce so I was pretty flexible.

[​IMG]

After a few more dodgy drafts (on my part) and some discussion between Hugh and I these were the renderings he put together for the packs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too shabby eh? To make sure the fittings would be snug and not move around and damage each other each box has an evo-foam insert. When it came to finding a factory to make the boxes here’s what Hugh put together for dimensions, it’s small detail like this that really helped us have a better handle on communication.

[​IMG]

So after looking at the diagrams and renders the first factory we spoke to really didn’t want to make boxes that small. They took a lot of convincing on Hugh’s part to agree to do the prototypes and here’s the first shot we got, because it’s expensive to setup they didn’t do the foil stamping for the prototypes:

[​IMG]

They’d obviously forgotten to include the domain name on the side of the 12-pack so had scrawled it on for effect (or something :p). They also told us that the corner quality would be a lot better in the full production run. Hugh and I discussed it together and decided to go for it – only to not hear back from them for a few days before learning they’re now in full swing making moon cake boxes and won’t be able to help us for weeks to come. Bugger!

At that point Hugh’s girlfriend, Karen, who was still living in China at the time (she’s come here to study since) told us both we were idiots for agreeing to their prices and conditions and proceeded to find and negotiate with about 12 more factories for us. She got us a great deal and got them to agree to do very short runs (around 250 of each box instead of the 1000 plus a lot of the factories want).

They did a prototyping run for us and Karen sent us some pics, the iPhone box is for scale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and later a shot with four unfinished fittings inside:

[​IMG]

They’d agreed to do the ‘ROCKETSCIENCE’ in silver foil like I wanted which was great, although I was a little nervous trying to visualise how it’d look on the finished box. Perfect or possibly too gaudy?

I also decided that instead of getting the box maker to print on the bottom of the boxes I’d get some stickers printed. That way if I needed to change the text (eg for different fittings/colours/sizes) I could use the same boxes.

..then I waited, and some weeks later looking a little worse for wear this arrived:

[​IMG]

Here’s what they looked like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few shots (from months later) with fittings inside the boxes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was extremely happy with how well the silver foil hotstamping turned out. To me it really completed the look and feel of the boxes.

I’ll finish this update with some shots of the stickers I had printed. Again, Karen came to the rescue with these and sourced a really good deal on the stickers including more silver foil. Firstly here’s the sticker that goes onto the bottom of the boxes:

[​IMG]

..and finally a little case sticker I decided might be fun to include in each box :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are doing smashingly well! Keen to hear what you think and any questions/comments you have :)

16. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Hey Saate,

Are you going to ship with extra O-Rings, as I would imagine a few would get damaged in the dry fits of the loop?

Looking good, as always - but that goes without saying.

17. Skidd

Skidd Member

So how do I order? and would your fittings work if the pipe was a little thicker? I'm not going to give away what I am doing but is there a 0.5mm tolerance there?

18. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

What a journey! Loving following your process on getting these rocketscience fittings to market!

Amazing stuff. Really glad to hear an Aussie doing well in the PC modding field. All the best!

19. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yep absolutely, as long as you're careful they shouldnt get damaged but from personal experience I had to 'not be careful' once and wreck an o-ring before I really appreciated that point :p So yeah, I'll include a few spares in the boxes :)

There's a shopping cart setup on the rocketscience.mx site :) Let me know if you're thinking of grabbing some though and I'll throw in free shipping for you. To answer tour 0.5mm tolerance the answer is probably not, unless your tubing has some give. The opening is 12.8mm for a 12.7mm tube so you've got .1mm play there which is also what the two o-rings compress to form the seal.

Thanks mate :)

20. Skidd

Skidd Member

So nickel or chrome on a 12.7mm copper pipe wont work?