[WORKLOG] Rocket Science: Creating fittings for Aussie copper pipe (8/8 Black plated out soon)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Saate, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Nickel plating is in the micrometer category, I remember speaking to a electroplater about it when I had my AquaComputer blocks done. So that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not to sure about Chrome though.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Absolutely will work :) Nickel plating is much much thinner than you're probably imagining, someone more knowledgable than me (3coops where you at?) will be able to clarify but nickel plating is only microns thick. Instead of 0.5mm wider diameter on the pipe you'd be looking at something more like 0.002mm wider so plating is fine :)

3. Skidd

Skidd Member

Cool I will be ordering when I get paid at the end of the month. I was actually thinking of powder coating which does add 0.5mm thickness.

4. the[K]id

the[K]id Member

Rocket Science: Creating fittings for Aussie copper pipe (Updated 12-Feb: Pac...

Chrome should not add 0.5mm, that's a lot even for hard chrome plating. Should he less than 0.02mm thick.

Edit beaten!
    Also yes powder coat will be thicker, but you can mask the ends for coating or plating.

Edit 2
    For the look it could be worth checking out stainless steel pipe, it can be 'electropolished' which is an acid process that leaves a chrome like finish.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. NinjaStickman

NinjaStickman Member

Hey Saate...
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

$96 for a dozen is a great price too (especially after seeing the process)

Many congrats mate.

P.S. the website looks great

edit: oh and the guide...

6. hazwan

hazwan Member

you're a genius. but sadly im going away for some time. will definitely buy some when i get back. its going to be an ongoing thing right? not just a one time run?

7. deluxe

deluxe Member

Solid work Saate... really impressive work! I dig your packaging too

8. BigDave

BigDave Member

Saate will these work with (12.7) acrylic tube as well??

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Powder coating copper tubes would be interesting, although I'd probably look at different kinds of plating options or tubing first. One solution for powdercoating though would be to bend the pipes to the correct lengths first and mark the points they're going into the fittings. That way you can tape off those parts and only coat the visible bits.

Just have to be careful about galvanic corrosion if you're going to use it in loops, I think steel and copper/brass don't make the best of mates.

Thanks guys, really nice to hear :)

To the big house? :O Yeah now that the word is getting out I can't see why they wouldnt be an ongoing thing, with more and more stuff added as we (eg the community) see fit. At the moment I'm down to 16 x 4-packs and 13 x 12-packs so shouldnt be a problem.

Yep, no reason they won't work with any tubing as long as it's 12.7mm OD. I bought some of the primochill rigid tubing recently to test the fit and it felt the same as with the copper, just had to bevel the outside edge to ensure the o-ring wasnt damaged. Took a quick dodgy shot for you before I left this morning:

[​IMG]

10. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

My hat goes off to you Saate.
    You took an idea and made it a reality. I really wish you all the success with your new business.

Great log ps.

Pps. Still like the loom of nickel tubing over copper.

11. Skidd

Skidd Member

Would you consider doing some different grip styles on the fitting? Just for more options sake. I know being a start up like this is kinda hard to justify it but maybe you expand a little into being a supplier to shops like PCCG

12. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate :) Yeah I'm looking forward to playing with the nickel plating look in upcoming builds.

Absolutely, what've you got in mind? Knurling seems to be the standard for fittings and when I considered alternatives for these ones variations like horizontal/vertical lines felt like they'd have too much clash potential with builds.

I'd definitely like to get to a point where I'm doing all kinds of fittings, that's gotta be the goal I think. For the first product/project I think it was important that I found something the market/community needed that wasnt already available. I think I've done that, and with time should be able to use it as leverage to make more of the generic/competing stuff :)

Really appreciating the support, encouragement and energy you guys are putting in!

13. BigDave

BigDave Member

Mate your a Legend :thumbup:

14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I'm extremely impressed Saate. That's amazing work you've done there.

Makes me want to think about WC'ing again :shock:

15. BigDave

BigDave Member

C'mon back mate, You know you want to :lol:

16. Jakusonfire

Jakusonfire Member

Are other finishes available yet besides the bright Nickel?
    I would really like a dozen black.

17. Skidd

Skidd Member

I was thinking for along the lines of no texture at all, just a set square slits on top enabling the user to tighten it in with something like a coin. So as to get that ultra clean look from the fitting to the pipe. If the fittings and pipe where then plated in the same colour it would look almost like the pipe and fitting are one unit.

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Black will eventually be available, but not until the next production run most likely. Had some issues with the quality of the nickel plating on the ones we did so have had to hold off.

I think I know what you mean and it's a cool idea. Thinking about it we could probably do something really clever and put the tightening grip/mechanism inside the fitting. That way you could screw the fitting in then push the pipe inside for an ultra stealth/neat look. Hmmm! :)

19. Skidd

Skidd Member

OMG that would be even better! I am all for the stealthiness. I like things so that when you put it together and other people look at it they go, huh how did you do that?

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Absolutely love your work mate and definitely plan on buying some of your product :thumbup:

Question though.. rigid tubing can be a pain in the arse within the work areas of a build. Do you currently, or do you plan to, have interconnect ability between soft tubing and copper?

I'd love to be able to do a major amount of hidden plumbing with copper, and simply have some compact bulkhead connectors onto which I could then connect soft tubing for those places within the build where it might be desirable to be able to push aside a tube a little for better access without actually needing to dismantle the whole loop to do so. One of the reasons I haven't played with rigid acrylic too.