[WORKLOG] Rocket Science: Creating fittings for Aussie copper pipe (8/8 Black plated out soon)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Saate, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Probably the best test you could do would be to seal off the fitting and the pipe and pump it full of air and record the PSI at which it lets go.

2. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Also, put the string through and make tie up both ends, this way the weight will be hanging from the center, not from 1 side as it is presently.

Either way, impressive stuff dude.

Anymore plans for the knurl-free design?

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah still planning to give that a go when I can borrow a pump from someone! I'll probably use a piece of copper pipe with the end hammered closed and folded over, although I guess I'll need to take measures to make sure it doesnt break something (or me) when it comes out :)

I think that type of pressure test is referred to as 'dead head pressure' although I'm happy to be corrected. Having those figures will be handy, but I expect it will take unusual other tests like these pics to help certain people properly visualize what the numbers actually mean. ...plus it's fun, and that helps too :p

4. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate, and yeah looking at the photos I'll definitely drill all the way through this weekend so it's more centered :)

Some knurl-free prototypes are in production now as well as black plating, might be a little while though but I'll keep you guys updated!

5. Jakusonfire

Jakusonfire Member

Thats good to see. Its common to underestimate just how much pressure is needed to part these things. Some of that is I think from the Primochill rigid fittings video where the guy was sliding push fit fittings on and off a tube really easily. I dunno what he was using but mine are nothing like that.

With my C47's and 12mm tube they easily hold alot tighter than a barb and soft tubing. I was really surprised just how hard they grip if the tubing and fittings are sized right. They slide on fairly easily if lubricated but once they have been in use for a while the Orings or lube seems to dry and they are quite difficult to remove.

Martin did some testing to see what it takes to get fittings to fail and barbs with no clamps was taking 20PSI
    http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/01/30/fittings-and-elbow-impacts/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

You might want a metal box or something with six solid sides to do the pressure testing in. You don't want bits of metal to hit someone if/when it fails/explodes.

7. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

That is just bullshit Huggy and you know it, an essential part of the test is exactly how far the copper traveled once the o-rings failed to hold it in place. :lol:

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

saate is the block one of yours too, or do you only have the fittings at this stage?

9. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I think we also need to test just how far the copper pipe will travel through flesh and/or a large flat panel TV. :Paranoid:

10. moloko vellocet

moloko vellocet Member

Clearly the TV is a better measure as we can then cross-validate with Wii remotes lodging into TVs. :p :lol:

Nice visual exercise Saate. :thumbup:

11. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Keep us updated, I want to know when you get the black fittings sorted out.

12. aeries

aeries Member

holy shit i havent been here too long!

as usual, good work saate :thumbup: looking forward to purchase some stuff off you in the future

mono.'s gonna get reworked!

expect some PM's in the future, when all my exams are done!

13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Havabeer has done some awesome tests on the secureness of the double o-ring fit in his worklog (link) and has given me the go ahead to share it in this thread for those who havent seen.

Basically he's established that the double o-ring will hold up to pressure of around 30 PSI which is pretty amazing! Hopefully this goes some way to allaying peoples fears that the pipe might just 'fall out' :)

Pressure testing notes by Havabeer

so there's been a few speculations from people being uneasy about push on fittings with the worry of them blowing off. as per this thread i'm using them comfortably but its still left me thinking about what pressure the fittings would blow off.

with that i knocked up a testing rig, basically it consisted of a 1/2" swaglock T piece. the BSP threaded section ID was actually the perfect size to tap a 1/4 thread, which is the size of the pressure gauge i got. so i locked in two pieces of left over tube and started cutting the thread

[​IMG]

screwed in the pressure gauge, which only goes up to 30PSI but to make sure of no leaks used loctite thread sealant on all the threads.

[​IMG]

in order to seal up the opposite end of the fitting i just used a 1/4 coupling and a plug fitting

[​IMG]

next step was to connect it up to mains pressure hose, easiest way way to shove the hose straight over the pipe and hose clamp it in place

[​IMG]

and so i cracked open the tap and began my test

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was the last photo i could take before the fitting blew off, the needle actually got around to about where my red line, which i say is around the 36PSI

[​IMG]

i loaded him up again, and decided to film it this time, the fitting actually blows off slightly earlier this time, which i put down to the fact the pipe and o-rings where wet, this would have lubricated everything and obliviously make the fitting easier to come off. (i know it looks like i have hairy cleavage but its just me knees)

Video of pressure test

so in conclusion shooting off between 30 - 36 PSI in my book as actually quite awesome for something that is held on with nothing by friction. and when considering an article like this http://skinneelabs.com/laing-d5-top-comparison/a d5 which is a VERY commonly used pump claps out at 6PSI i think it holding 6 times the pressure is great.

14. hazwan

hazwan Member

Saate, is there an eta on black fittings?

15. Soxism

Soxism Member

This. Please. My love for your fitting would increase, if thats possible.

Awesome work on the Pressure testing too. Its a real testament to the quality of your fittings mate.

Im starting a new build soon (next month) im really hoping to get some black fittings over the silver ones :)

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

I'll check and let you guys know :) Typically with manufacturing (at least at this scale) I've learned to double whatever time I get provided so we'll have to see :)

I've still got about 30 black fittings floating around if you definitely want to use them and get desperate, they're the ones I wasnt 100% happy with plating on so wouldnt release officially but arent too bad. Especially if you feel like stripping them to raw brass and/or re-plating yourself - but thats getting a bit extreme :)

17. hazwan

hazwan Member

I'm going to be away for a few months and am thinking of finishing my build before i fly off. Having said that, provided i can afford your price, i would have 14 of your best black fittings please :p.

18. Soxism

Soxism Member

As Tempting as it is for the 30 Black fittings. i'll wait to hear back on ones that you are 100% happy with :)

Most of thankyou for looking into it / making an inquiry!

19. datfreak

datfreak Member

Hi Saate-
    Im new to watercooling, and find the precision that hard tube demands kinda intimidating - but reading through this(and your previous build log) with the beauty of copper I could see myself doing this in the future.

Will be easy getting the copper from my local Bunnings - and if/when(alot) I f'up a bend replacement tube will be cheap.

I agree with your thoughts (and tests proving) the tube will not "fall" out but I thought maybe you could have one model for -nervous about leaks- people something like :

Click to view full size!

Keeping it clean and simple is important so maybe the grub screw may be more hidden.

Anyways, keep up the great work.. oh congrats getting married ;)

btw- my ms paint skills, arn't what they used to be ;)

20. Matman

Matman Member

Regarding pressure testing:

During a pump failure I would expect some boiling of liquid at the waterblock. Maybe that would cause pressures approaching 30psi? Probably a non-issue if there is any air ballast in the res.