1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ROFL @ one of our IT Interns

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by gbh, Oct 26, 2010.

1. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I wouldn't generalise acceptable use policies that far. AUPs vary, with their scope ostensibly being determined by data security requirements, sometimes varying between departments. Of course, this assumes you can map managerial decision making onto some kind of rational process, which isn't always the case.

Also, communicating in a brief form how modifying the user account was a requirement according to the AUP helps to cut off arguments at the knees, especially if you have a referral to HR or other policy authority for further questions. This is not something which you owe the user, unless someone didn't provide them access to the AUP. As I posted earlier, it doesn't take much to do it, can often save time and hassle, and it covers your ass for those users with more power than brains.

2. ConlMaggot

ConlMaggot Member

This is true.... Sorry I got a bit keyboard warriorish there.

In my short time in IT (coming up on 6 years now), I have worked for Companys contracted to Govy Dept's and now for a large not for profit org. The govy depts' almost always specify no non-work related media on network storage.

The place I am at at the moment, the AUP pretty much says go nuts, unless "your actions cause unnecessary cost or loss of productivity to the organisation". Having siad that, when we need to get stuff off the san to save storage space, we tend to buy directorates 1tb USB drives, as its cheaper then extending our san :p

3. brad81

brad81 Member

Yeah. But. HUMMER, you sit in an office with people who have network access, is it at all possible that you could speak to the person next to you to raise the request for you?

Unfortunately for me, I am all levels of support. Some retard ringing me up because they can't print whilst I am working on something else, WHEN A HELPDESK SYSTEM IS IN PLACE FOR THEM TO RAISE A CALL ON, is a real PITA.

4. Merudo

Merudo Member

I used my iPad when I work at our other sites because I have a desktop at work not a laptop and it works perfectly for rdp and for quick windows based things when I'm remoted in to my usual workstation. Great really!

But I actually use it for work reasons.... Haha

Learn some customer service skills and actually man the fuck up and say 'i'm sorry but I'm a bit busy at the moment, if you could put a ticket through though I'll grab it and give you a call back as soon as I can, cheers :)'

Stress less. Manage your time and don't be afraid to tell people ' no I can't drop everything to help you right now but I'll get to you when I can' in a nice way.

This will help you, and help them understand you're not their little bitch

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  5. brad81

brad81 Member

Yeah that's cool and I understand that. It's the same people again and again who think that what they need is 10x more uber important than everyone else who already has the request in. Sorry, I did generalise, I was speaking about 'those' types in particular.

6. dink

dink Member

Besides, this ticket in the OP was probably just a lazy update and close. Chances are he visited the user to see the problem, found the problem, gave the user his options and did it. Then closed the ticket with a lazy one liner. For all we know he even moved the data to USB storage and didn't mention it in the ticket.

Looking at the spelling/grammar error, it must just be a lazy update.

7. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Escalate them to your supervisor, he/she'll then deal with them.

8. brad81

brad81 Member

You'd think that. I did for a long time and eventually gave up.

He's more interested in keeping the peace, and improving IT's image. Destined to be in the halls of facepalm for an enternity, I hope they have plenty of coffee there.

9. FromPaul

FromPaul Member

the best one I still love was when i got chewed out because all the printers in the building were "printing shittily" and they had some presentation due in 30 minutes, how come every single printer was stuffed, what did we change, etc etc had a queue of bdm's next to my desk all complaining

I had the office girl go buy some non recycled paper and use that.

10. nimmers

nimmers Member

My favourite was our old helpdesk guy calling me and asking me why a users PC couldn't connect to anything on the network.

Me: Is the network cable plugged in and do you have a link light?
    Him: Yes
    Me: Troubleshoot it man.
    Him: How?
    Me: Ping, ipconfig, just do the normal stuff.
    Him: wait a sec......... its timing out.
    Me: whats timing out?
    Him: I typed "ping ipconfig" like you said.
    Me: Reboot it for me.. *I change the hostname of my laptop to "ipconfig"
    Him: Hey its working now thanks for your help!

And that... is why the hostname of all my laptops is "ipconfig".

11. chunksoul

chunksoul Member

lol nimmers. Great story.

Are level 1 helpdesk generally that incompetent ?

12. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

I think now is a good time to link everyone to The Chronicles of George. Yes, there are a lot of shots on that site and yes you need to dig through some of the not-as-funny-ones but overall its gold.

13. trotkiller

trotkiller Member

That site is win:D

Emailing that to the boys at work

14. roweysvn

roweysvn Member

Ahaha wow this is great stuff

15. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

Helpdesk and can't do basic troubleshooting on a network connection? How do they resolve anything? Do they just log it all through or something?

My wife worked on a helpdesk with me for a period of time, she is in no way a nerd or computer nut and she could do it.

The mind boggles.......

16. Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

Level 1 helpdesk are about as useful as planks of wood, I do not even classify then as I.T professionals, they're nothing more than drones that waste people's time.

At once place I worked, I sacked all level '1' helpdesk and kept a smaller team of good people who didn't fuck everything up to begin with, which reduced calls by about 85%, the calls that did come in could be handled by people who knew what they were doing.

I mean, what the fuck is the benefit of having someone answer a call from a customer, who knows absolutely fuck all and can do fuck all and then proceeds to:

A) Waste the users/customers time
    B) Make a complete hash of describing the problem
    C) Probably doesn't know what personal hygine is
    D) Likes to mate with cabbage

Level 1 helpdesk.... what a fucking joke they are.

Wow, feeling the rage today, just turned off my mobile phone 'for good', then proceeded to smash it into little bits, it will NEVER ring again!

-NyarghNia

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I just came off three weeks leave. Turned my phone on, and let it sit for a few hours while the SMSes and voicemails streamed in. Then deleted them all (and repeated as more came in again after that).

I dream of a day when I can give that phone back, and be completely uncontactable.

18. Swathe

I totally understand why you feel this way, but it was my job for over two years. I fought hard to do a good job despite of the people around me, kicked everyones arse at first call resolutions and scored secondment work with level 2 support. I was sticking my nose in on the other areas trying to pick up everything i could, so if I at least didn't have the permissions to fix stuff, i could send through the best info possible for the next level so they could deal with it quickly and fuck it off.

Next week I finally get to start a role where I am a systems administrator, but small enough company I have to still do help desk stuff. I am proud of what I have achieved and intend to keep on powering on to bigger and better things. I have no certifications, no degree, I am just a hard worker who loves the enterprise environment, linux, and wants to rise up to a respectable level of knowledge that produces good results.

It sucks that most level 1 guys are tools, as it turns the people higher up off those of us who give it all we have. We aren't all fuckwits.

19. Hive

Hive Member

Sounds like you're doing exellent :)

20. Swathe

+1

The level one guys who show promise have the incentive to try to get into the level 2 stuff, before the stroke inducing experience of dealing with idiotic users crushes their spirits. The chaff, well they will make themselves apparent and drop away.