Roland MT-32 - The Ultimate Tutorial

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Mau1wurf1977, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Finally. It's DONE!!!

A comprehensive (this video is over 3 hours long) video explaining everything you need to know about the Roland MT-32 and compatible MIDI units from Roland.

Some parts are a bit boring and full of technical details, but many parts have game footage, audio recordings and hands-on activities.

Brief overview of all Roland MIDI Units
    MT-32 (Old) vs. MT-32 (New), headphone port, difference in LCD display behaviour
    Buffer overflow
    Intelligent vs UART MPU401
    33 extra sound effects
    Games that only sound correct on MT-32 (Old)
    USB Midi cable
    Joystick midi cable
    Audio cables / adapters
    External mixer
    Soundcard mixer
    Checking the ROM version
    MT-32 test mode
    MT-32(New) demo songs
    Volume dial differences
    CM Series clipping issue (Wing Commander)
    CM-500 vibrato
    CM-32L/64 clicking issue / ROM version
    Power draw comparison
    Number of PCBs
    Daisy chaining units
    CM-500 different LED
    Noise differences
    General MIDI support
    USB MIDI / DOSBox ScummVM
    MT-32 emulation
    Personal recommendation
    Credits / Acknowledgements / The End

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NUQpAZeAdo

2. Cannula

Cannula Member

Looks awesome!
    I'll download it and watch it in sections when I get the chance.
    Thanks for the headsup. How long did it take to do the video? ...and no I don't mean the 3 hours I mean to compile it all.

3. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

The video has time markers now. And there is one missing part, which is linked as well. It's in the section comparing the MPU401 interfaces.

How long did it take? I've been working here and there over several months. Often going back to the drawing board and adding new things. It was a huge learning curve and now that it's done I feel like making all this improvements. But I guess everyone who does videos feels like this.

I will take what I learnt and put it into my next video. No idea what it will be, but something will come up :)

4. Thunder

Thunder Member

Nice. I'll have to watch this.

I've got a Roland CM-32L I picked up off ebay a few years back. I'd always wanted an MT-32 back in the day. When I finally got one it was awesome to hear how the games were meant to sound, light years ahead of what a sound card could do.

5. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

You have a CM-32L? Very nice! You'll be very happy when you get to my "recommendations" part :)

6. Thunder

Thunder Member

That's a pretty comprehensive video, and an even more impressive collection. Nice work.

It must have taken you a while to assemble all those modules. I was trawling ebay for months to get the CM-32L. In that time I only ever saw MT-32s on sale.

It's interesting to hear the CM-500 vibrato bug. I've heard people on queststudios talk about it, but never heard a comparison. Also interesting is that broken Space Alvin sound, I've never heard of that before.

7. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Thank you!

Actually, I was able to get all of these modules within a month or so. I didn't go through eBay, but used auction sites in Japan. Roland is Japanese after all and a lot easier to find over there.

There is a CM-32L on eBay UK at the moment, but looking at the serial number it is one with the early ROM (clicking issue):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28104285...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2734wt_1165

CM-500: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Roland-C...?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item5aea128685&_uhb=1

MT-32: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Roland-M...ries&hash=item27befc91a8&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1180

It ended without a bid and is re-listed.

Finding games, and the right spots, that are different can be quite the mission. And who knows what other games, especially the less popular ones, have differences.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I love your videos. Legendary. :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Thank you very much :)

10. Thunder

Thunder Member

At those prices I'm hardly surprised. That's a total rort.

I gave the Munt emulator another try, I'm really impressed with it. It sounds like the real thing.

I tried it back in 2006ish and it sounded wonky and really brought my PC to it's knees, but it's come a long way since. For the few songs I've tried I can't really tell the difference between Munt and my CM-32L

11. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

Can you recommend a Windows 7 x64 application that will allow me to transmit Sysex via USB-to-MIDI adapter without getting buffer overruns?

12. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Yea it's getting really really good :) I bugged my brother recently to play "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis". I set it all up for him with Roland and he also couldn't tell the difference to my recordings.

I don't think there is such a thing. AFAIK the pauses have to be in the Sysex files / midi files. Well actually there is one way, there is a custom version of DOSBox that inserts pauses when sending MIDI data. You could use that, but would have to use DOS tools to send SySex and mid files.

13. Thunder

Thunder Member

Mau1wurf1977: I hope you don't mind me posting this here. I did a quick search around the net for dosbox with munt built in, but didn't find much that was recent.

The Munt authors supply a patch to add Munt to Dosbox, so I've compiled a fresh version of dosbox with the latest Munt built into it.

Check the readme file in the zip for instructions. You will need the Roland ROM files to make it work.

Dosbox with Munt

I've tested it out with a few Sierra games it it sounds pretty good.

14. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

The MUNT team has, finally, released a public release of their Roland emulator. Rather than being integrated in DOSBox, this on is stand-alone. Similar to BassMIDI.

I'm planning on doing a few videos on this topic. Mostly around the three important subjects:

- DOSBox (I will likely use D-Fend reloaded, which is a frontend)
    - BassMIDI for General MIDI
    - MUNT for Roland

15. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

Does MUNT handle Sysex as well, for instance, in the old Sierra games? It's been a while since I've last tried it.

16. Thunder

Thunder Member

Munt always handed sysex. Old Sierra games work fine.

17. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Of course, it needs to! An MT-32 without handling SySex would be pretty useless :D

18. dacow

dacow Member

Just saw this now, awesome work man!!!! Can't wait to watch it all the way through!

19. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Glad you like it :)

20. dacow

dacow Member

I couldn't resist and stayed up pretty late to watch it all :)

I've now got a whole bunch of cables coming and grabbing an old MT-32 + MQX off DonutKing :D :D

Having said that I saw a MT32 sold last night on Yahoo Auctions for 1600YEN?!?!? WTF, thats like 20 bux Aussie? Mind you, probably cost around 50 bucks to ship here but still a major bargain!