1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

ROLI Seaboard - Piano of the future?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by BlueRaven, Dec 16, 2013.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Stumbled Upon this today and I think it looks friggin' amazing. :D

http://www.weareroli.com/seaboard/

Very cool to see someone taking all that we have recently developed in the fields of general and audio electronics, human-machine interfaces, touch interaction and feedback, materials science etc. and leveraging it to do something really new and interesting with a very old concept.

This longer video shows the creator explaining the basic concepts behind the Seaboard to Jamie Cullum, who then spends some time getting acquainted with it.
    I found it to be an excellent demonstration of the various possibilities available with this new instrument.

The downside... $1999 for the 37-keywave "Studio" model in the limited first run (rising to $3000 once it's widely available), and the 61-keywave "Stage" model will set you back $2,999 rising to $4500.
    There's also a limited-edition run of 88 "GRAND Limited First Edition" models with a full-size keyboard, in case you have a spare $8888.88 lying around.
    Your limited-edition model will be engraved with the name of one of the 88 keys on a grand piano keyboard.

2. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

Only quickly looked at the video but it seems like a evolution of the haken continuum i think it was called

3. BigandY

BigandY Member

i'm guessing that by referring to this as the "piano of the future" then you're not a pianist

it is cool but it's not a piano, nor will something like that ever replace a piano.

4. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

AMEB Grade 5 (many moons ago!) and a couple of years of jazz tuition at A.I.M., which earned me an "Advanced Certificate in Music" (with Credit) that has been every bit as pointless as it sounds... :lol:
    I can still pull out a passable rendition of Für Elise and the first movement of "Moonlight" when asked, or a couple of Mozart sonatas and jazz standards here and there.

I don't play as much as I should, and one of the reasons for that is a lack of any kind of proper piano or even a decent weighted-action keyboard.
    There's a lovely Kawai US60 "Upright Grand" up at my folks place, but I just don't have room for it here in Sydney.

I admit I may have been comment-baiting a little with the "piano of the future" tagline... Obviously it could never replace a "proper" hammer-action piano movement.

"Keyboard/controller of the future?" though... something which offers greater expressive possibilities than pitch/mod wheels and simple aftertouch?
    I must say I'm not a huge fan of the demo synth/pad sounds they have going on in the videos (although they are effective at demonstrating the capablities of the unit),
    but surely it could offer great possibilities for creating one's own patches or controlling soft instruments?

I should admit that I've not gone daydreaming through a well-stocked music store any time recently, so I'm probably not completely across the current state-of-the-art regarding keyboard controllers.
    But I'd think that if anything seriously revolutionary had come along, I'd have heard about it by now.

The price of these things is what kicks me in the teeth a bit though...
    "Here's a great innovation in keyboard control and expressivity. That'll be three grand thanks".
    I know they can charge whatever they like and need to recoup R&D costs etc., but jeez man... ouch.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014