Rolling out Desktops with SSD

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Pugsly, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly Member

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any people here rolling out desktops with SSD drives?

We currently buy HP desktops here and this seems to be a non standard build.

Is anyone else out there deploying SSDs in their desktops?

cheers

2. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

we have been using a few, not for run of the mill workstations tho, The machines normally have a higher then normal workload, Digital X-Ray processing, Graphic design/CAD etc.

3. Iceman

Iceman Member

I've got a few software developers who use 150gb raptors as they insist it improves compile time. One has asked to trial an SSD to see if that helps further. Going to give it a shot next week. Def not a standard build item. No point. Most users only reboot once a month.

4. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

we put one in my boss's laptop.. but not a standard item, no. not even for aservers...

5. Embercide

Embercide Member

we build digital cctv recorders using intel desktop motherboards, and have been installing 2x Sandisk SSD drives in Raid 1 (for operating system) for about 18 months now.

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

Have to wonder, is the cost increase beneficial for uses stuck in Word/Outlook all day?

Sure there's exceptions (like the stuff I do - involves lots of complex, but smallish databases, and have made use of RAM drives between 1 and 8GB for many years), but you're typical office worker, hardly.

I've seen SSD's as standard options in laptops for a while now (over a year, first time I saw/used the option, was a Toshiba Protege).

7. Breeny

Breeny Member

Our company recently purchased one for a fairly high specced laptop which is running Hyper-V and multiple virtual machines to demonstrate our product.

Other than that we haven't installed any at all - not even our servers.

-Breeny

8. Gecko

Gecko Member

We've just put a couple around the place with people who work with lots of data locally. Also put some Velociraptors in for other users, going to see how they compare after a few months.

9. ra66it

ra66it Member

A colleague told me yesterday that that an SSD in a Toshiba laptop at one of his clients had reached its maximum writes, and XP failed to run.

It only took 18 months......bit of a worry.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I find that hard to believe, unless he had some sort of defrag software shifting bits around 24/7 for the whole 15 months.

Thats not to say the drive hasnt failed, but I doubt its max-write related.

11. OP
    OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

HP have SSD as an option in their latest 6000 Pro desktops.

They're using samsung 64Gb drives which i'm told are TRIM capable, just waiting for the firmware.

12. ewok85

ewok85 Member

No point putting an SSD in an office PC - you will get better performance and usability gains by adding more memory or buying the user a second monitor.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  13. OP
    OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly Member

Yeah i didn't think SSD at the workstations would make a difference but we've done some testing with our inhouse apps on a desktop with a SSD drive. There were noticeable differences in load times, printing times of our apps when compared to a normal HDD, things took half as long. I guess for our environment, SSD makes sense.

cheers

14. Luke212

Luke212 Member

how can you say that? i notice you dont recommend ssd for enterprise either.

i think you need to catch up a bit ewok!

15. Jimoin

Jimoin Member

But he's right?

I'm yet to see a desktop PC stressed as far as disk I/O goes, rarely if ever is disk performance an issue. Run performance monitoring on who you think are your heavy users to see if it's the case in your environment to make sure.

RAM is always a winner, a hell of a lot cheaper too.

16. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Please state your industry background as I'd like to know your focal point for questioning the use of non SSD for enterprise use.

I'm not going to explain where and when and why to use SSD, by making claims such as you have, you're clearly the subject matter expert on the topic.

17. Luke212

Luke212 Member

ram is free. its a non-exclusive decision here.

people dont like to wait, and it gives them an excuse to be non-productive.

18. OP
    OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly Member

While evaluating the SSD on desktops we did run perf mon. This really opened our eyes to see why our machines sometimes were really slow even when our RAM and CPU utilisation was low. We noticed the Average Disk Queue Length would sit at 100% with normal disks and the machine would bog down. Switch over to the SSD and the the same counter was way down and the machine was more responsive. Even with clean OS builds it would still do this (testing with in our in-house apps).

I just wish the new TRIM models would be released alot sooner to Aust.

19. joyufat

joyufat Member

We will probably do this as standard for any new notebooks starting in 2010, as the speed difference would be much more noticeable with them. We recently upgraded our MD from a Thinkpad X61 with a 4200RPM drive, to a new Vaio with 2x256GB SSDs in RAID 0 (slight overkill). It does make a real difference in terms of loading time, which in turn makes them a lot happier.

20. OP
    OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly Member

haha our first SSD on desktops went out to our MD as well!
    He was happy with the application load times, just have to wait and see how it performs when the disk has been used for a while.