"Romulus & Remus" - Dual System Build

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by vladtepes, Jul 13, 2016.

1. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

So, something like the ModDIY’s adapter doesn’t tick enough boxes? Or if there is any clearance above the connector (ie heat sink clearance) replacing the pcb connector?

vladtepes likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

That is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for ! Thanks. I'll have another look at the available clearance and hope to heck that'll do the job. Cheers mate.

This one might be even better (as I don't need an extension just the angle change) but looks to be a slightly higher profile than the one you linked. Or maybe this one ?

Can't really understand what you mean by this ? Do you mean physically mod the card?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  3. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Your second link looks very promising as it states it is for a 15mm clearance.
    With respect to replacing the pcb connector, this would involve modding the card by desoldering the existing connector and soldering in a straight one like this but I expect the heat sink will prevent this.
    Thinking of a third option which would involve modding the card is to remove the pcb ‘header’ again and making up an extension with some cables soldered to the card and sourcing an 8 pin pcie line male connector to put on the other end, or getting an extension cable and cutting one end off and solder to the pcb.

4. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Definitely not keen on modding the card, as I may want to sell it on one day. Never know.
    If it came to it, I'd mod the side of the case so it gave more clearance.
    But hopefully the linked doo-dad will do the trick, just have to take some measurements and photos :)

5. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Better late than never - ordered one today, thanks. Fingers crossed.

6. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

How long before this Dual System, will be up and running, at a guess, mate.

7. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Well both are running just haven't got fan issue sorted yet. Got a gpu 90 degree cable though so might be able to close the case... On that side anyway.

mad_mic3 and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  8. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Are you going to finish this build, mate.?:)

9. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Not at this rate. Thinking of swapping the windows system out for an lga1150 Linux setup.

10. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

That's going from bad to worse.:D
    I followed your build for 3 yrs. What a let down.:p

vladtepes likes this.
  11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

He is faster than I am, and changes his mind less often :lol:

12. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Decide the parts you are going to use, and build the cabinet around the parts.
    Do your research first.
    What's hard about that.? Taking so long to build, your parts are becoming out dated.:D
    Don't take any notice of me.I am in one of those moods.:D

vladtepes likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I don't mate. I don't. :p

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I did decide. Then I found that the original design (which incorporates the monitor into the case) once completed and functional, left the monitor too close to me as it was, so I changed it.

This presented the opportunity to add some other stuff, and while I was at it, I upgraded the original system, from ITX using a riser cable for the GPU and removing the AIO I was using for the CPU in favour of a high end air cooler, which I had no room for in the original plan.

I added more peripherals too. My case is custom built from MDF, its not an off the shelf thing.

I am indeed again slightly outdated, the 2700X I bought for the new design is now out of date. Whether I upgrade to a Zen2 CPU is undecided, or rather, which one I will be adding is undecided. The rest of the rig will remain, I can use the existing motherboard and feel no need to upgrade to X570 because I have no use for PCIE4 at this stage.

It simply takes me a lot of time to do anything these days, my health prevents me from putting in the time required.. Every day it gets a little further along, hopefully I can present it with a flourish soon :D

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  15. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I am the same. 75yrs, and some days I feel about 105yrs. Abused the body when young,indestructible I thought.
    Now I am paying for it.:thumbdn:
    I am still Modding in my shed. Making my Dreams come true.:thumbup:
    Working with Acrylic, as Particle board of any sort, I break out into a rash.Dam it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    mad_mic3 and Ratzz like this.
  16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah, I'm only a spring chicken, 66 next month, but my body is 120 because of my continued abuse of it. Some people never learn :confused: .

Feel free to continue the conversation in my build thread :lol: We are crapping on vladtepes thread.

mad_mic3 likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

So... I've decided that I'll build a new windows system in a separate box. I'll keep the existing ITX set up in this case but just use Linux OS on it. an i7 6770
    The majority of my computer use at the moment is Windows, so the Linux system won't be on all the time (or even on much).

This simplifies the cooling a bit as I can set it up so the case fans are powered from the (theoretically) 'always on' FreeNAS system. So that's one issue I was racking my brains about that I can now cease worrying about.

I'm also looking at my Graphics card. I know I bought an GTX 1070 ITX card but looking at it, a longer card would probably fit. Possibly, maybe.
    So the next question then is - as the 6700K has integrated graphics - is do I even NEED to have a GPU in this system?
    If I stick with the integrated graphics for Linux use that'd get rid of all my GPU issues at once ! (and I could use the 1070 as an interim card in my new system)

Even if I do choose to use a GPU I certainly don't need a fancy one at any rate. If I'm able to get shorter (height) card even if it is longer (but still fits) then the issues with the card being right up against the side of case will also be solved. I guess some serious measuring will be required there and see what comes up cheap in the sale boards.

Of course, none of this will help with the horrible power and SATA cable nightmare - that's still something I need to sort out. Those flat ribbon sata cables don't 'bundle' easily... :(

Here's a reminder of that nightmare ... yep, it's the photo that just keeps on giving.

[​IMG]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So the spec of what will remain named 'Romulus' remains

MOBO: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
    RAM: G.Skill 32G DDR4 3200 Mhz
    CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4GHz
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake 360mm AIO

Yeah that ought to be able to cope with linux... :D

adamsleath likes this.