"Romulus & Remus" - Dual System Build

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by vladtepes, Jul 13, 2016.

1. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

So, something like the ModDIY’s adapter doesn’t tick enough boxes? Or if there is any clearance above the connector (ie heat sink clearance) replacing the pcb connector?

vladtepes likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

That is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for ! Thanks. I'll have another look at the available clearance and hope to heck that'll do the job. Cheers mate.

This one might be even better (as I don't need an extension just the angle change) but looks to be a slightly higher profile than the one you linked. Or maybe this one ?

Can't really understand what you mean by this ? Do you mean physically mod the card?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  3. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Your second link looks very promising as it states it is for a 15mm clearance.
    With respect to replacing the pcb connector, this would involve modding the card by desoldering the existing connector and soldering in a straight one like this but I expect the heat sink will prevent this.
    Thinking of a third option which would involve modding the card is to remove the pcb ‘header’ again and making up an extension with some cables soldered to the card and sourcing an 8 pin pcie line male connector to put on the other end, or getting an extension cable and cutting one end off and solder to the pcb.

4. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Definitely not keen on modding the card, as I may want to sell it on one day. Never know.
    If it came to it, I'd mod the side of the case so it gave more clearance.
    But hopefully the linked doo-dad will do the trick, just have to take some measurements and photos :)