RTX 2080 BIOS update ???????

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by anthonyl, Aug 9, 2019.

1. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I have a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G card and there is a BIOS update available.

I used the Aorus engine and went to VGA update and it says that F13 is the new BIOS.

I download the new BIOS..it contains an .exe file. When I run as Admin (or otherwise) it says

"Windows cannot find C:\Users\Anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\N2080GO.F13.exe.."

Yes the file is not there...how is it supposed to get there?

There is also a .zip file .x64 when i try to unzip it there is a password?? Seriously what is going on here?

Have disabled all antivirus software thinking that could be the problem but the .x64 folder is password protected..no matter which region I download the BIOS from there is a password on the folder..fkn weird.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

That sounds very suss.
    An officially released BIOS from a reputable site is password protected?? i'd be deleting that.
    Possibly a trojan.

Sounds very much like the download has occurred and Windows Defender or something has removed or quarantined the file to prevent malicious activity.

Can you paste the URL maybe? see if anyone else has the same issue

Have you tried downloading the F7 version of the BIOS? is that password protected ?

EDIT: just jumped onto their site.. (not using the Aurus software)
    https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080WF3OC-8GC/support#support-dl-bios
    they are showing BIOS is F7 with a release date of 2019/02/25. Assuming this is the URL for the correct card you have, is it possible the F13 is a beta BIOS maybe or some testing version not officially released?

EDIT2: downloaded F7 from Asia site and unpacked without issue.. no password..

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. kelthegeek

kelthegeek Member

Assuming it's this card:

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080GAMING-OC-8GC#kf

Then there are 3 BIOS files availabe, F5, F8 and F13. The F5 is old and can be ignored. As per the notes the 2 remaining items, F8 and F13 are updates released back in February and which one you need depends on the current version of your BIOS. Version F1 - F7 needs the F8 update, F10 - F12 needs the F13. I'm guessing the Aorus software is trying to update the wrong BIOS.

I always avoid the pointless bloat that board makers seem to want to add, they always seem to cause more issues than they are worth. Just download the files from the maker, it's almost always easier.

4. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

5. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

When I use the Aorus Engine to update..it says that the card needs the F13 BIOS. It downloads the bios.

I am downloading the BIOS from this page which is the official Gigabyte page..

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080GAMING-OC-8GC/support#support-dl-bios

Inside the file that gets downloaded there are 2 zipped folders one x64.zip and one x86.zip inside the folders are password protected .exe files.

When i click on the N2080GO.F13.exe which I assume is the BIOS update it says "The code execution cannot proceed because GVBIOSLib.dll was not found..(despite it being in the same folder.) Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

Click to view full size!

Yes the file is unpacked no problem but the x64 folder is password protected or at least the .exe is as seen in this pic..

Click to view full size!

[​IMG]

6. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

On closer inspection i agree : ) they are indeed encrypted/passworded compressed files.

I'm guessing if you used the installer program that unpacks with the bios files it will look after the password part required for you. . .maybe some sort of protection to the files to prevent tampering??
    When i launch the application it says "cannot find correct BIOS" - since i dont have that card that makes sense but at least it does launch without error ..
    Tried running the application as administration ?

Without having the card/software involved i cant go any further thru the install to see what happens .

best of luck tho. .

7. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I agree but it puts me into an endless loop of telling me to shut down the Aorus engine before the BIOS update...when I have nothing open.

When I click yes it says the same thing over and over...when I say NO..it says BIOS flashed OK and reboot... without any BIOS flashing being done..a reboot shows F12 still not F13.

I have tried running as Admin...tried changing the folder rights etc..nothing.

Its supposed to go like this...

8. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

What's the bet it'll work fine in 1803? :p

10. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

This behaviour sounds like Antivirus is stepping in and blocking/removing files, but isn't notifying you. Check quarantine/logs, etc.
    If you believe the file is a false-positive you can whitelist/allow it or temp disable, etc.

11. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

The only antivirus i have running is Windows defender.. I have tried turning it off and re-downloading the file but still no go... it's the passworded folders that have me stumped.

12. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

they're encrypted so you don't mod them.

13. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Well bugger me pink!!

I just had a thought to download the BIOS file to a USB stick...clicked on the .exe and away it went..within 30 seconds the BIOS was updated and done!! WTH!!