ruby help

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by bl4ck32, Jun 13, 2009.

1. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Howdy,

Ive got some ruby code i need help with....

I have atm this
    Code:
    if token[1] =~ /(.*)/
       return statement + "ERROR" unless token[2] =~ /[a-zA-Z|0-9]/
    which is supposed to read - if token 1 contains anything, then return the statement + "Error" unless it contains a string or an integer...

it doesnt seem to work, and ive tried a few things but dont know if the contains anything + the string or integer part is right?

can anyone help?

2. Dedge

Dedge Member

What the code does does not match what it's suppose to read (or you're being too ambiguous).

I would understand anything to be any object that isn't nil or false.

Your control statement will always evaluate to false unless the element in token[1] is a string. The =~ method returns the index of the first character which matches your pattern. Given your pattern is to match anything, it will always return 0. 0 in Ruby is evaluated to be true in boolean context.

Do you mean a string containing characters and numbers or literally a string or an integer? In the case of the former, your pattern should match only strings containing characters and numbers.

If it's the latter, you should look at the is_a? and is_an_instance_of? methods.

This is my understanding of what you're trying to do. Try it out in the IRb.

Code:
    if token[1] and token[2].is_a?(String) or token[2].is_a?(Integer)
      return statement + 'ERROR'
    end

if token[1] is a shortcut for if not token[1].nil?. Remember, everything in Ruby evaluates to true in boolean context if it's not nil or false.

Lastly, remember that the first element in a collection will have the index of 0.

Finally, you should be careful storing different types of objects in a collection. While it's perfectly valid, it means you always need to check the type before invoking methods on it.

3. OP
    OP
    bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

thanks, that helps a bit. I'll go tinker a bit and see if i can get it to work.

4. OP
    OP
    bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

ok,

i need to match a string which has ' ' either side.

something like
    Code:
    return "ERROR" unless token [1] == /^ \'[a-zA-Z]+\' $/
    should read return "ERROR" unless token 1 is equal (do i use is equal here?) to '<string>'

or if the string uses a letter number combo would be [a-zA-Z0-9] ? like 'abcd123'

im not sure on how to get it to match any string so long as it is surrounded by ' '

anyone?

5. Dedge

Dedge Member

You ought to take a look at the API documentation on the String class. In particular, the match() method.

Rubular is a Ruby regular expression editor and tester in your browser, perfect for trying out your patterns.

You'll probably want something like

Code:
    \A'.*'\Z