Rum for a rum newbie

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Quadbox, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Headless Turkey

Headless Turkey Member

The Tanduay isn't expensive, and tastes way better than stadard bundy. If you don't want someone to hate rum for ever, I think Tanduay is a good place to start. Not too fancy, but doesn't taste like rocket fuel.

You should be able to pick it up from http://www.stewartswineco.com.au/ in Eagle St or Portside, not duty free though. Give em a call first as the website doesn't list much ( I don't work there ) Might be able to get it from Spiros in Toowong as well.

If anyone is after something super rare PM me and I will give your the contact details of my mate ( licensed :) ) He can get a hold of anything, and his booze list is crazy big and pretty exclusive.

2. Headless Turkey

Headless Turkey Member

A more basic rum ( like the Tandy ) tastes great mixed with blood orange soda and a couple of brused mint leaves....mmmm very nice on a summers day.

3. zfind

zfind Member

Fair enough if he's willing to drop some cash on them. I'll admit Bacardi can be polarising, you can really dig it or just hate it from the first taste, much like Bundaberg. Something smoother would be a better intro.

As a side note I've noticed up here in Europe you can get a wicked range of rums, even in Finland - heaps of Caribbean, West Indian, even French and Austrian. I'm working my way through them slowly but so far the old Havana Club is my fav :thumbup: Next up is Stroh or maybe Hurrican.

4. OP
    OP
    Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Everything imported alcohol is better in europe. We just dont have that big a market for more obscure imported stuff in australia.

Same's true of beer, whisk(e)y, everything.

'Course, it kinda helps that most of the world's best alcoholic drinks are made on that continent, though that doesnt apply to rum

I miss living in europe. It's bloody expensive being an alcoholic with some taste in australia :p

5. cuckoocaca

cuckoocaca Member

Rum puts lead in your pencil!

6. RhysG

RhysG Member

Mt. Gay XO is fantastic stuff - it's really the only dark rum I bother with at such a good value price. Very good neat with nothing, nice caramel flavours...

7. V8R

V8R Member

on the contrary, START with Bundy.... it can only get better from here ;)

personally, ive found the opposite effect :(... does put a shine on your shit tho :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  8. uberbanzai

uberbanzai Member

Angostura 1919 - 8 year rum
    Sailor Jerry - spiced carribean rum, vanilla, lime, cinamon
    Appleton Estate 8 year

I found that the caramel flavours from an 6-8 year old I like better than the toffee ones found in more matured ones.

9. Kung_F00L

Kung_F00L Member

Captain Morgan ftw!
    Looking forward to seeing the captain again soon!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  10. pugsley

pugsley Member

Lol i have had many a good night with the Capitan.

I still get funny looks from the waitresses when i ask for Mount Gay though. :(

11. ojk007

ojk007 Member

if your just beginning, grab a bottle of Bundy Red. (IIRC) Its triple distilled through redgum chips. Goes down really smooth.

But its definately a mixer, i wouldnt go it for straight drinking.

12. Assasinator_2

Assasinator_2 (Banned or Deleted)

If your definition of 'smooth' is anything Bundy, then your pickup lines probably resemble sandpaper.

13. uberbanzai

uberbanzai Member

Yay for neutral spirits with added colouring and carmel flavours ... oh and apparently filtered though redgum. Give me a fucking break Bundy Rum.

14. zfind

zfind Member

As I write this I am enjoying some lovely Havana Anejo Especial and coke over ice, so so good. I went hunting and found Appletons but it was some outrageous inflated price so I didn't bother. How would it be described compared to your more common rums? I want to know whether I should drop coin on that or save up for same HC Cuban Barrel Proof, drool :eek:

15. zfind

zfind Member

Care to explain? Not knocking you here but there seems to be a fair bit of anti-Bundy sentiment around only for the fact that it's not some overseas marque or it has some bogan rep. It may not be to everyone's taste but for what it is it's a fine drink and importantly, Aussie all the way.

Wouldn't mind one now just for that sugary, gummy taste. Just one though :tongue:

16. pugsley

pugsley Member

Well its made with sugar cane which for most of us gives it an overly sweet taste for a rum. Then as Ubernazi said they pack it with colours and flavours to make you think its a rum.

Its like the vanilla flavoured whiskey of the rum world.

Do you works nights zfind? Its just in the post above the one i quoted your saying your enjoying a rum and coke at 8:30am :p

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  17. ultimata

ultimata Member

Heh, while Bundy rum is distilled in Bundaberg, and then sent 400kms away to Brisbane to be bottled in a collosal waste of money, Bundy rum isn't Aussie owned.

Source.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Cheap and nasty! - Cap'n Morgans ftw, ARRRRRR!!

19. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

I see Appleton's Estate for $34.90. From this thread, I'm guessing it's a cheap but not too bad dark rum? My knowledge of rum has only come from trying Bundy on the rocks (urgh) and if they happen to mention the brand in cocktail recipes (Mount Gay and Appleton's Estate).

So for this unsophisticated palette who's just looking for cocktail ingredients, what's the equivalent white rum - Havana Club?

20. zfind

zfind Member

OK, I didn't know that - it's coloured? To me that cheapens it a bit. A good alcohol should be enjoyed in it's naturally-coloured glory. And flavours? That's even worse :tongue: I hope HC isn't the same, I'm going to check my empty.

I was working late last night - on my bottle of rum haha! Sorry no, I live in Helsinki so we're 7-10 hours behind Australia. Sucks because all my mates are asleep when I start drunk SMS'ing and Facebooking :D