Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Rea:Per, Oct 19, 2016.
giving it a fill
so connected it up to a tap and gave it a test
the bottom pump has died........sweet
connected the top pump, then connected it in the right direction for flow.
I think the waterfall effect is quite good
dat pump noise tho.......................
the flow from the tap was almost non existent to start with.
the resistance in the reducer to adapt 10mm ID Blue tubing to the 6mm ID Bar tap was just too much and all the flow just recirculated into the res.
i changed the plumbing so the waterfall entered through the port at the bottom of the res, travelled up the inner stainless tube and out. but even that wasn't exactly a great flow rate.
I would spend more time filling up my drink than i would drinking it...........not cool.
Good ol' Bowden's product placement
i then tried it with no bar tap
so a couple of improvements from here
i'm headed to somewhere like enzed for a better sized inlet for the tap to remove this restriction
these pumps have to go.......
I didn't want to but I bit the bullet and have ordered a pair of D5's
they are nice and quiet and have the pressure and flow to do what i want.
it will also mean I do not have to worry about tube coils for tight bends, and i don't need to make a plate up to hide the ugly pumps.
yeah ok so maybe I have more than a drinking problem
but seriously I use the Orange Agent everywhere, great general purpose cleaner.
You're not the only one. Reminds me, I've gotta stock up on more. Generally becomes "walk in to shop to buy one bottle, walk out with 6 of shit I didn't need". The shit is magic!
so the first of the new parts have started to arrive
some fresh 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing
few extra fittings
so I popped into Enzed on Thursday and presented my problem with the restrictions in changing down tubing size
They didnt have anything that was a direct fit but suggested they could take a couple of 3/8" barb's and machine them down to replace the 90 degree section.
picked them up today, and pretty happy with the result, the straight exit from the tap is easier to deal with in this use case and now its 3/8" ID tubing all the way
pumps have arrived.
So with most of the parts here, I had a play last night with getting it all to fit.
as D5's don't pump when they are dry I'm going to have to mount them both as low as possible in the case to ensure they have fluid at all times.
This rules out Mounting them one above the other.
I found this layout gave me enough room to route tubes around the items
the new bar tap fittings work great,
test plumbing done
the PSU has died somewhere since testing the old pumps.
Will need to strip and replace but no big deal
The water was not circulating via the waterflow effect. It just pumped air bubbles through the lower section of the res and the pump failed to prime correctly.
I found there is a bypass screw that allows liquid to not go through the center tube.
I assume this is there so you can use this port as a drain. Included is the grub screw so closed it off and flow is much better.
I will use the last spare bottom port as a drain.
and with that sorted it was time for a test
great flow rate, very low noise. a few bubbles but i might trying to get a PWM controller and turning the pumps down a touch.
I might try now with the T fitting in the top of the res again, this would save on some fittings and tubing run
so i marked the position of the Pumps and Res Brackets
then started drilling and putting in the Rivet Nuts.
First Rivit nut and I busted the mandrel.
could you mount the pumps underneath ??
Under that bottom plate is the PSU that has been put inside the old G5's PSU Case.
I could look at shortening the PSU Case becuase currently its taking up 80% of the space under than panel.
I might struggle with space but it would put the pump as the lowest part of the "loop"
so found a standalone PWM controller that should do the trick and let me fine tune the pump speed.
Noctua Black NA-FC1 PWM Fan Controller
its on its way.
The back plate that everything mounts to is quite thick, (4-6mm i think)
i was a little concerned that the small M3 nut riverts would not be long enough so i tested them on a piece of scrap
Only just but it works.
So i removed the back plate, removed all the mountings for the old pumps. and put in the mounts for the new pumps and res holder.
I decided to keep the pumps up top, ended up having enough room and mounted them as low as possible.
Mounting Bracket on